1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September>December 2024: Nuclear winter has struck, leaving room for the N5

Discussion in 'News' started by Wizzy, Aug 12, 2024.

1. Mcgreag

Mcgreag Well-Known Member

As an Ikari main I would be sad to see them gone but from the tournament stats they are the least played army in the game so I can understand if they get cut.

ChrisCenobite likes this.
  2. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Yes! Hsien, Shang Ji, and Crane Agents are the existing troops with the four ariels on the back like that. Unfortunately, they seem to have no purpose other than looks. There’s nothing in common between those troops other than being HI. This guy does NOT look HI.

3. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

I noticed for the yujingyu troop that jihwan-ha did it specifically for “infinity N4”, so maybe that means there would be a delay in the releases of the white banner, it could be the one and only release for this Sectorial.

4. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

The Black AIR is N5 though. It could be a typo.

5. archon

archon Well-Known Member

A MI then. Weapon looks like MMR. We have already MMR MI with Visor L1 in the form of Sulyong in WB. Maybe there will be some unit-rotating?

Traditonaly all factions will get at least one new unit. Something say bot Svarlaheima. An airdropper would be nice for SWF.

6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I would have preferred the timestamp (it is being a struggle to find the part, not that I can atm devote time to solely hearing the podcast), but I got to heard the gem of Bostria claiming that changing NBW from "removes MA" to "prevents negative modifiers in melee to the NBW" was mathematically the same.
    As in, it's like he thinks MA only has pluses an minuses to CC (which I think they intend to remove in N5 for different bonuses anyways...), like there was no STR bonus, which kinda IS a mathematical difference, coupled with how that would remove the maluses from the old I-Khol (now CC-3/-6, which got buffed in N4 by being able to affect STR troops) and possibly the cheese PARA-3/-6 melee weapons XD.

I also had fun hearing the part of old players making combos using "discontinued" models that breaks the game, I think it was specifically mentioning fireteams and wildcards (as if CB had not left the option and there was no proxy options for old, OOP models...), kinda like as if Infinity was Magic The Gathering in the full open, no collection limitations, format. Kinda strange, but I suppose the operative frame for CB is that very few people do proxy, or even check all profiles every now and then (in my case I just stopped with TB, and I'm waiting for N5 to resume with Infinity... if at all, it will depend on the new rules and the standard price per model stopping trying to outdo GW aside from single unit Character boxes).

Edit: found it at some 15 seconds or so past 47:30, I agree he means what you say.

#126 xagroth, Aug 29, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
  7. iKon

iKon Not Very Well-Known Member

Do you think NBW will remove negative mods printed on unit stats also and not just the negative mods from Martial arts?
    If so that's a buff to NBW and a nerf to things like the Silverstar Prime.

xagroth likes this.
  8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Because he talks about people making XLS charts and mathematically been the same, he means the change in critical hit for stats over 20, which is mathematically the same, but misspoke and merge them together into one.

Gwynbleidd and xagroth like this.
  9. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Possible, I was focused in locating the part about devs always wanting more time to keep tweaking. I agree the change to over 20 values is the same in pure, ideal statistics, but on the other hand I preferred the old way for two reasons. One, it was the same mechanic D&D 3.0, 3.5 and Pathfinder (dunno about D&D 4 or 5) for Improved Criticals and how it used to creep back from 20, so it wasn't all that shocking; two... it favours dices weighted to always roll low. Which should not be a thing, and I don't think I've ever encounter it, but now a roll of "1" is always good unless the maluses pull you to 0 or less, and for me it was more coherent the "bounce back" when hitting 20 than to "teleport to the other end and start climbing" that is the new mechanic, but I'm aware I'm not representative in that kind of stuff.

On the other hand, I really appreciate the effort to streamline

10. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

One caveat. Changing critical hits is mathematically the same, only if the same roll is not used for more than one face-to-face roll. Otherwise it is not.

11. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Would you care to elaborate?

I mean, under Infinity mechanics a Crit is a Crit, trumping all results that aren't Crit themselves.

The only situation where it would be making a difference - under N4 rules! - is a Terminal Template, where a Crit remains a Crit for the original target, but just a result for secodnary targets (i.e. those "catched" under the template), who can still beat the roll result. In this case, indeed a 17, 18 or 19 is way harder to beat than a 1, 2 or 3.

Gwynbleidd and UpirLihi like this.
  12. UpirLihi

Yes, that's an example. Imagine some uber-pupnik, which by feat of whatever ITS rule has gotten +2 PH and is now dodging at 21. Uber-pupnik wants to dodge against an enemy and a mine. It dodges against the enemy at 21 and the mine - at 18. Under N4 rules it can't crit dodge vs the enemy and succeed vs the mine. Crit numbers of 19 and 20 will both fail the template dodge. Under N5 rules, crits are 20 and 1 and a roll of 1 will be both a crit and a successful mine dodge.

13. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Good point, I hope CB won't miss that case and address it adequately.

The problem here being we are using N4 rules projected at N5 roll resolution (becauese, of course, we don't know yet how N5 is going to handle such a case).

UpirLihi likes this.
  14. UpirLihi

Oh, I don't discuss this problem at all, they might as well decide that the template -3 affects everything in N5. I'm just pointing out that mathematically the two mechanics are not universally identical, as claimed.

Errhile likes this.
  15. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Moreover, we do not know if the mechanic will remain the same for the rest too...

Errhile likes this.
  16. Ghost_X

Ghost_X Well-Known Member

Any idea on when we will see pre-orders pop for the new 2 faction (JSA and PanO) operation box?

I am very interested to see what miniatures that set brings.

Thanks!

17. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

We even dont have a date for N5. Calm down

Abrilete likes this.
  18. Ghost_X

Ghost_X Well-Known Member

Was the calm down for me asking about the new ops/battle box? If so, was not aware I conveyed panic…lol.

ChrisCenobite likes this.
  19. QuantronicWombat

QuantronicWombat Well-Known Member

God forbid we get excited about new minis for two never before seen sectorials for a game we love!

As far as we know, the intended release date was October-ish, but I believe Bostria has been told to reign in expectations. So we may see the reveal and pre-orders start in October if the plan is to release the box this year.

ChrisCenobite and burlesford like this.
  20. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

No official announcement yet, please stay tuned.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation