1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturday Night Heroes: Streaming from Maui, Hawai'i!

Discussion in 'Game Reports' started by Chikahiro, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Chikahiro

Chikahiro Well-Known Member

We're planning to have the game on stream at 4pm HST (-10 GMT). Hawai'i does not participate in Daylight Savings Time like the rest of the US, so... uhm... yeah, that is a concern, isn't it?

We can't really delay the game too much as we have another gaming session (our weekly RPG night) at 7pm HST, plus need to get some dinner before then!

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  2. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Actually 4pm HST is good for us on the Mainland. New Mexico is now -6 GMT so you will start at 8PM for me. Looking forward to watching your stream live.

3. Chikahiro

Wonderful! I hope we don't cause you any mental anguish :)

4. Chikahiro

treiral likes this.
  5. Roadrunner7431

I highly recommend this game between Ben and Sam. You will witness excellent sportsmanship and quick accurate play. A sub-plot will involve a legendary confrontation of Beauty vs. Beast, that is, Parvati vs. Massacre and steely resolve by the old man, Tao Wu.
    As a Warcor I wish that any new player that I would meet would learn our beloved game as quickly as these guys in the Aloha State. Does living in the vast Pacific help make you a genius or do you need to have been a genius to accumulate the resources to afford to live on Maui?

6. Chikahiro

Well, we play other crunchy games like HERO/Champions, Warmachine, Iron Kingdoms, etc.

Ben is an experienced war gamer and a former game designer. He also loves playing Magic: The Gathering, and is a phenomenal GM.

I am a long time fighting game player, and was a tag-along for competitive players and tournament organizers when I was living in Georgia. I’d strongly recommend reading David Sirlin’s “Playing To Win” for some of the ideas the genre requires to play! You’ll see some stuff quite applicable to Aristeia :)

7. Chikahiro

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

Side note: when it comes to fighting games, I am actually quite bad. Mediocre at best. But I got to play a lot and I think that helped my sportsmanship considerably :)

8. Chikahiro

Oh, another great game we were playing a lot before I started Aristeia: http://sirlingames.com/puzzlestrike

Its based off of Capcom's Puzzle Fighter (a great video game), but its a deckbuilder instead. You pick a character to start off with, and the rest can be fairly random during setup. But it does force you to try and think of how to play to your strengths. I highly recommend it. Much like a fighting game its fairly contained, consistent, and you do the best you can. Randomness is less of a factor than in, say, Ascension (which I also enjoy).

9. Chikahiro

So, last night I had an unaired practice game with my friend Mike who is one of the guys behind the stream. It was only his second game, so we took it fairly slow, talked about stuff a lot, did a few do overs, etc. I think it took about two hours? So, it was Valkyrie, Eclypse, Bixie, and Murtair (me) versus Padre Mendoza, Kozmo, Hannibal, and Dart. I won 7 to 4, and because we spent so much time talking I think we both learned a lot.

Round 1 I got 3 points. Round 2 he got 3 points. Round 3 nobody scored. Round 4 I got 3 points. Round 5 we got 1 each. I believe he had one more frag than I did.

That said: I spent some time at home and came up with a team logo because it seems like all the cool kids have team logos:
    [​IMG]

Croepoek likes this.
  10. Chikahiro

Actually, long story short: our stream for Warmachine/Company of Iron is getting postponed this week due to work, so its going to be another Aristeia game!

https://www.twitch.tv/shamelessmayhem

So!!! It'll be me and Mike. We had a practice game the other night, it'll be interesting to see the rematch :)

11. Chikahiro

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407350110?t=00h14m29s

Great game!
    Mike and I had a great game that ended at the end of round 4. The use of Senor Massacre's tactic for the super-teleport was the end of the game for me, and it was beautiful. Its partly my fault since I changed my initiative order at the last moment, moving Dart down the initative order. Had I gone sooner and popped Ambush? Would've been different. Ah well!

@Roadrunner7431 - you'd be proud of Mike at the end. It was a great, enjoyable game :)

#31 Chikahiro, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  12. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Very fun match! I look forward to watching the next!
    A small reminder for Valkyrie though, she gets an extra :-: on every roll she makes for each :G:immobilized character adjacent to next. She's like an 8-Ball on steroids, she runs up to 1-2 aristos, :G:immobilize everyone, and adds that many :-: to all of her rolls, not only her attacks and defense rolls. She gets progressively better with her disengage and Frostbite rolls.
    Also, always remember to check for Hannibal's Pointman! That was a lot of :,: you missed to add!
    PS: I think you might be misunderstanding something about LoS. At 1:45:45 Eclypse attacks Sr. Massacre and you mention that Hannibal doesn't have LoS. He has it however, you need to see at least 2 points of the target from any point of the attacker, and Hannibal had perfect LoS of those 2 points on the side that is in contact with Valkyrie. Both also had cover.
    PS2: I used Juan Lara's app to grab a screenshot of the situation. Hannibal in Green, Sr Massacre in Blue, Valkyrie in Red.

[​IMG]

PS3: 'Es hora de armar el bonche' allows you to use Tangana on targets with any state, but you still have to follow the range rules of Sr. Massacre ability. That means :L:1-4. Not that it matters because he could just Tangana Eclypse, and move into the Scoring zone, blocking Dart from moving out or even using her Bow on him. Not as dramatic but still, it's a victory for Mike.

#32 treiral, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Croepoek likes this.
  13. Chikahiro

What is that app called? Android only?

14. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

15. Roadrunner7431

Yes I believe it is Android only. Juan Lara did produce a English version but I am not sure it has the line of sight module. I believe it is easily found under Aristeia in the Google store. I encouraged Juan to do the English version but I am firmly ensconced in the iOS world

16. Chikahiro

I’m going to say it was the best loss I’ve gotten. Dramatic finish either way, exploring characters, lots of fun :)

17. Roadrunner7431

I watched the Youtube feed for the last hour that I missed live. Very interesting interaction between Allies Hannibal and Dart at 1:33. The last few minutes of the game were exciting with Massacre playing ¡Es Hora de Armar el Bonche! however I did not understand how he was able to have the energy for the final Attack. That Tactic allows him to target Dart with her Hidden State with Tangana but he still needs to spend two energy points for each Tangana so he spent 4 energy and does not have the two energy left to spend for his Attack.

18. Chikahiro

Oooh, looks like we doubled up on our errors :D

So, by getting Es Hora's effect wrong, Mike teleported straight there rather than doing a two-step teleport, resulting in him thinking he could attack. Whoops! :D

19. Roadrunner7431

This is an example where getting the rules right would have thrown a wet blanket on what was an exciting move. In a way it was fortunate that I was not watching live. I would hate to be Killjoy, but then again you probably would have gained the three VP on that round and we would have a thrilling 6-5 showdown in round 5 with Mike as Underdog.

20. Chikahiro

Mike's response was "NOOO MY WIN IS TAINTED!!!!!!!"

Was still a great game, I look forward to our next one. Again, his third game, and his first one was months ago!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation