1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturday Night Heroes: Streaming from Maui, Hawai'i!

Discussion in 'Game Reports' started by Chikahiro, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Chikahiro

Chikahiro Well-Known Member

So, I introduced Aristeia to my weekly gaming group. We play wargames, card games, and RPGs. But, its happily turned out they've been wanting to start streaming, and guess what game we've been playing?

Game #1:
    Game #2:
    Game #3: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/396713550?t=00h26m07s

You can see their progress improving things the quality of things! We're all really enjoying the game so far. I have to say that Aristeia has caused my copy of Shadespire to turn into a dust-collector, which is a shame. I'm also a lot less interested in Warmachine/Company of Iron - even though I enjoy them quite a bit - because its so well focused, balanced, and just a pleasure all around. Very quick and fun :)

So, aloha from Maui, folks! :D

2. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

It is a shame that those of us on the Mainland of the US are going to sleep as you guys begin to play in Maui. I have watched more than half of your first game. You guys have a very good overall grasp of the game and I can relate as a man on the verge of qualifying for Medicare myself to any other player with grey in his beard. I could not resist as a Warcor for Aristeia to comment on your rules errors (which we all make to some extent) If you rather that I watch and not comment I would understand. My own copies of Shadespire and Company of Iron are also gathering dust.

Chikahiro likes this.
  3. Chikahiro

Comments are welcome and accepted! I’m thinking I got something wrong regarding Taunted and Contender, but couldn’t find the clarification. I think you might see me looking for it :p

I don’t think BazaiZap is much older than me (I’m 42). Our overall group skews older. We’ve only got three people under 40 in it.Everyone else is in their 40’s, 50’s and one gent is in his 60’s, qualified for social, and is ready to retire :)

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  4. Roadrunner7431

My 35 year old son keeps reassuring me that there is little or no agism in this culture of table-top gaming. Go Grey Panthers!

5. Chikahiro

Banzai said, “please let that guy know that as a fellow Greybeard I really appreciate his comments. Keep pointing out our mistakes!”

treiral and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  6. Roadrunner7431

I watched your second game on YouTube and posted comments. This game is a great example of how it is often better to immobilize an enemy character than sending them to the Infirmary. Immobilize Gata or Mushashi and you take away much of their power.

Chikahiro likes this.
  7. Chikahiro

I'm looking forward to your insights for the 3rd game (it'll be going on Youtube before its deleted on Twitch). There's still a lot of little bits and pieces to the rules I know we're missing. I could almost swear I read something that makes how we're handling taunt wrong (rule interaction with contender), but I can't find/cite it.

I definitely favor control over damage because I find its easier/more reliable. That said Banzai and I's third game has some fun stuff in it (possibly wrong!), so we had fun.

This week I'm helping out with my church's 5th anniversary, so I won't be on stream. I believe Banzai will be playing a small Warmachine game instead (25 point).

8. Chikahiro

By the way: I love your commenting style with concise notations and time stamps :)

9. Chikahiro

Oh, third game is up...!

10. Roadrunner7431

Thanks for giving me the heads up that you will not be streaming Aristeia this Saturday. I realized at the end of your first game that if you guys start playing at 4 PM Maui time then that is 8 PM MDT here in Santa Fe and I will be able to watch your Twitch stream in real time. Let me know the next time you play Aristeia. I appreciate that you actually read my comments and found them helpful. No doubt you know about the Table Top Simulator Mod on Steam. I am currently involve in two friendly tournaments where we play one game per week and we are matched with other English speaking players through Discord. You might consider this community.

Chikahiro likes this.
  11. Chikahiro

They're still learning, figuring stuff out, etc. I've already talked to the guys about doing an introduction mini-series to the characters (at least the core 8), but that'll be later on. I *almost* want to get a starter/beginner box for Infinity as well, but then there's also Monsterpocolypse. I have gamer ADHD :p

I've seen Table Top Simulator, but have not tried it. I'll take a look, but my video game playtime has gone down tremendously over the past few years, despite there being so many great games out there. The only video game I'm playing regularly right now would be Age of Sigmar Champions, with Fantasy Strike (a simplified fighting game made by one of the old-school designers/scholars of the genre) being second.

12. Roadrunner7431

The Table Top Simulator version is not like a video game at all. It replicates very faithfully the physical game and has been encouraged by Corvus Belli and the designers. I have a scheduled game tomorrow morning with a player in the United Kingdom. Even in Spain it allows a player in Madrid to play another in Barcelona. Setting up a game takes two or three minutes rather than the 10+ for the physical game.

13. Chikahiro

I know. Let me rephrase: I'm not much for games on my computer at this point unless they're short (20-30 minutes), and fairly relaxed. I'm playing Go online with hours, sometimes days, between turns.

14. Chikahiro

@Roadrunner7431 - I started going through your comments on game #3. Thank you! Its amazing how many things we're missing/getting wrong :p

We'll definitely have to bone up on the rules later on. I think CB has it online so I can do a print out at the shop later on too (I work at a print shop), plus the various errata. It does intimidate me a little in that I want to get the beginner boxes for Infinity and play those, but man, I don't want to butcher the game! :p

Also reading (slowly) my copy of the Infinity RPG. Gorgeous book :)

Banzai and I really appreciate the feedback! I hope you're enjoying the streams, and since I absolutely love Aristeia I hope to do a lot more :)

15. Roadrunner7431

After following Aristeia for 15 months I think I can spot a player that will especially enjoy this game. Although you and Banzai have different styles of play, you both enjoy good fellowship and the process of finding synergies and you each roll with the punches and the inevitable bad dice rolls. Mushashi for sure and to some extent Wild Bill was well are recognized as somewhat overpowered. Try not to let Banzai have both on his team. When you use the disengage mechanic appropriately your style of area control will come into its own. I once described Aristeia to some Canadian players as a cross between ice hockey and Sumo. You folks in Hawaii may be the few Americans who understand Sumo. I studied the Japanese language for five years and gained a respect but I still do not understand Sumo.

16. Chikahiro

I'm half English, half Okinawan. I'm moderately convinced that Japan and England are quite similar: they're very polite, eccentric, have very bland foods compared to their neighbors, and if left alone come up with things like sumo, championship pipe smoking, kabuki, Monty Python, etc. They're charming insane asylums off the coast of their major continental rivals :p

Sumo, although I've not watched in 20+ years, is ideally about technique, speed, and quickly capitalizing on the situation. It makes sense.

I wasn't paying attention to him during selection, which is a bad habit of mine playing against him. He's the more experienced war gamer by far, has been a programmer and game designer professionally in the past, etc. To be fair, though, he wasn't paying attention to me, either!

My background is more with fighting games, and control is very important in those. Also, I used to play City of Heroes (an old super hero MMORPG), and control, buffing and debuffing were very powerful in that game. I think that influences my team selection quite a bit :)

17. Roadrunner7431

You have an interesting perspective on your ethnicity. I'm half Sicilian and half Christian Syrian. They are both intensely romantic cultures. I tell the players from Spain that I share much of their DNA. I am glad to see that you connect with the guys in New Zealand. Although the international date line separates you, you share many of the daily sun's rays.

18. Chikahiro

I find it best to have a sense of humor about these things. Although, Okinawa is to Japan what Ireland is to England. Used to be its own country, ethnicity and culture, got conquered. I believe we've got more historic ties with China!

Anyhow, going to see when we'll be doing Aristeia next. I didn't get to game at all this weekend (church had its 5th year anniversary, and as a volunteer I was busy the whole time), so I'm hoping to play this week :)

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  19. Chikahiro

In theory it will be me vs BanzaiZap this Saturday! Sadly, my Legendary Bahadurs have not come in yet, so I won't get to play with them this time. I have also pre-ordered the Chemical Brothers, so hopefully I'll get that "soon" after release.

20. Roadrunner7431

As the World Turns.......Being four hours ahead of you in Hawaii, I am hoping that you play early enough that I could watch your Twitch stream live and chat appropriately. I see that our friends in NZ are still on Daylight Saving time one hour behind you. They would most likely vote that you play as late as possible. In any case please give a ball park time for your game so I can try to watch live.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation