1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules you would want changed?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by timmy, Jun 23, 2018.

1. DFW Ike

DFW Ike Well-Known Member

According to the wiki (link) vaulting doesn't block your movement (Any piece of scenery whose height be equal or inferior to the trooper's Silhouette Template does not block his Movement. [blue box that isn't the one with ladders]), so you could walk up and down it. You are stating that it does block your movement if its smaller than your base.

But this brings up another question: say I'm vaulting over this chest-high wall on a building, which would provoke an ARO from a mine on the ground when you go over the top. I use my first movement to go most of the way over the wall, but then the ARO is provoked. Can I then idle or dodge for my second short skill? Would I then be placed behind the wall (and out of line of sight of the camo-marker-that-was-just-revealed-as-a-mine)? How do we resolve that? Does the mine now just idle after revealing itself? Does it still hit my trooper? Infinity seems to have a grey area when you start forcing movement take backs like you are implying.

Edit: now with 100% more links!

2. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

Transmuting to a larger silhouette size on a catwalk that the larger silhouette doesn't fit on would be the only other way, I believe.

ijw likes this.
  3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

It is hard because it is a sure way to lose the game, Alpha strike lists with elimination were quite common pre ITS and can still be now, admittedly now people can somewhat dodge a rain of grenades, but there are other ways to do it when you make a dedicated list for it.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  4. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

No. It's just hard, period, because people play defense.

5. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I am afraid the average experience differs, a dedicated alpha strike list at the hands of a good player can table the opposition on turn one, more so in a limited insertion scenario.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  6. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

I didn't say otherwise.

Nope.

I said that if you are vaulting, and you are out of movement, you can't stop on the up or down parts of the vault, because while you can move through them (with vaulting), they are not valid places to stop, because you can't move up or down vertically with moving. So if you are out of movements, you have to stop just before them, and the rest of the MOV length is lost.

If the top of the scenery piece you are vaulting over is wide enough, so you van stay on it, you can stop your movement there. (Though I have no idea how can you get off it, I suppose only with jumping or climbing, because you are not vaulting (you did that in a previous order, you are just standing on top of something, and as far as I know, there's no rule that you can get off a height that's smaller than your S).

If it's not wide enough for your base to stay there, then you can't stop there either, so if your MOV is not enough to vault over the whole piece, you stop before it.

Abrilete likes this.
  7. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

Can't we all just play nice?

Also the professional expression for this is RTFM.

DFW Ike likes this.
  8. Hecaton

Uh... citation needed. Who can do this reliably?

9. Hecaton

There's a past history here. @A Mão Esquerda 's post was not made in good faith.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  10. DFW Ike

DFW Ike Well-Known Member

Right, so you're saying that I have to have enough movement to vault over something in one order, I can't use two short skills to move and move.This means that MOV 4-2 S2 Infantry cannot vault over a .51" obstacle on a jungle table? I'll never have more than 2" of movement to get over it in one movement, so in effect it is impassible and DOES block my movement.

Insert .gif of some spec ops guy being stopped by a baby gate.

11. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

What, you mean page 143 and 144, with the paragraph just above the red box on page 143, the parentheses, or the section titled “End-Game: Scenario Mode” on page 144, meu filho? Que leas mas y hables menos, kid.

12. Hecaton

The section in the rules for Retreat! (in the core rules) that specifies when the game ends. Applying *that* to ITS games would be fine, as opposed to the scrubby method that a lot of the ITS scenarios apply.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  13. dlfleetw

dlfleetw Well-Known Member

It is applied in, 3?, ITS missions currently.

14. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

This seems like it would be extremely difficult to do if there is anything approaching parity between players! On those occasions where there is enough of a disparity between players involved, I'd imagine the outcome of the game would already be a foregone conclusion regardless of the particular method used. I've yet to see an alpha strike that tabled someone, although I only started playing in 2016...

Further, if the aggressor succeeded in tabling the opponent in turn 1 then it feels like they definitely deserve the win rather than the retreat mechanic actually taking away their points-scoring potential!

Hecaton likes this.
  15. Hecaton

Yup, I dunno why people don't understand this.

16. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

From a balance perspective, consider that armies that tend to want to table opponents and the press buttons (PanO, Morats, CHA) have tended to do poorly in ITS compared to their button pushing brothers. Allowing these armies to actually play their full potential would be great.

Zsolt, injenegr and Hecaton like this.
  17. Hecaton

@meikyoushisui i like what you're saying but do we have hard data on that?

18. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

No but I think a lot of the ITS heavyweights (a category I do not place myself in) have expressed similar opinions.

If CB was more forthcoming/transparent with ITS data we could make a more definitive statement, but the playerbase of the game is small enough and the balance in general is tight enough that we have things like Military Orders (a faction most players would agree underperforms) winning the Interplanetario.

Hecaton likes this.
  19. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

Sorry, read terrain rules only once or twice and ignored them, since nobody uses them in my meta, so I can't really argue on that topic.

"Doesn't block movement" means you can move over it, if you have the MOV necessary. If it's bigger than your S, then it's a wall, you either move around, or climb or jump. It isn't more complicated than this.

Vault is not magic, it's not teleporting, it's not a free card to ignore scenery. It just let's you move over stuff that are small enough.

20. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

From the wiki:
    A trooper can vault over any obstacle not higher than his Silhouette Template (as determined by his Silhouette Attribute) at no cost, without declaring Jump or Climb.
    http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/General_Movement_Rules

As long as the obstacle is shorter than your silhouette height, the 'up and down' movement for the vault is not subtracted from your available MOV (so a MOV 4-2 trooper can move 4 inches, while vaulting a 1 inch high obstacle), but for the purposes of LoF the path your trooper takes is 'up and down' the obstacle

So in your example, a model with 2" MOV can vault a 0.5" wall as the 0.5" up-move and 0.5" down-move are effectively 'free'

DFW Ike likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation