1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules you would want changed?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by timmy, Jun 23, 2018.

1. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I'm still missing something - if you didn't have enough movement to vault the obstacle, how are you ending on top of it if it's too small to support the trooper's base?

Not that this has anything to do with falling damage.

Abrilete likes this.
  2. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Well I "thought" that I have enough movement to vault over something, then it turns out the unit "ran out of movement" while being already on top of scenery. Doesn't it force the unit to fall down ?

3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

"You tabled your opponent first turn you won" is worse game design.

4. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

That is a good question, I do not remember it been clarified either way, falling down or stopping before the vault.

5. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

Visuals can be MSV2-d or Heavy flamethrowered. Not to forget discovered and sniffer neted/sensored.

Cover can be templated or marksmanshiped.

Abrilete likes this.
  6. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

Spetsnaz says Здравствуй

7. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

That's not design though, that's your own fault. If you get tabled because of what you brought and how you deployed, that's on you -- it has nothing to do with the design of the game, it has to do with choices you made during the game.

8. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

An alternative way to look at it is; don't design the game such that this is possible instead of punishing players for exploiting the weaknesses of their opponent.

injenegr and Hecaton like this.
  9. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

I both agree and I don't with this statement, sometimes a turn 1 loss can be a result of player choices, but at the same time there can be instances where a turn 1 tabling is inevitable, e.g. a faction that lacks counter to skill XYZ coming up against a skill XYZ spam list, particularly so in ITS where you have at most 2 lists to choose from, and so can't really tailor your forces to each game/opponent. I know that I personally have experienced a game (think it was Bakunin vs PanO, back at the start of N3) where I could not physically deal with my opponent's list and no amount of tactics on my part would have changed the outcome of the game.

I think designers have to be mindful of this, and I would say that Infinity is actually pretty good at limiting situations such as these, but they do still exist and not all turn 1 defeats are purely the cause of in-game player choices

10. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

By definition, you didn't have enough movement to vault over the scenery. So you wouldn't vault.

In any case, there's nothing in the General Movement Rules that lets falling damage happen in that case.

Abrilete and eciu like this.
  11. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Well, it's actually not that easy to do it in infinity.

Plus you know, some factions are apparently designed in a way of "shoot enemy first, do objectives later" ^^

12. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

Tabling your opponent is fun. It should win you games.

13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Considering how hard it is to table an opponent who isn't trying to make it happen you deserve an advantage for doing so. The version of retreat on a lot of the its missions is punishing players for playing the game well. It's also telling that it's not in the core rules - only some ITS missions.

Zsolt likes this.
  14. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

A turn 1 tabling has only happened once for me, and that's because my opponent was new (I was new at the time as well, not like I go around brutalizing new players lol) and didn't deploy a single figure in position to ARO. My dog warriors crossed the table unperturbed and ate everyone.

Abrilete likes this.
  15. DFW Ike

DFW Ike Well-Known Member

So you're just stuck on the side of the obstacle that you were vaulting over, like you had superclimb (just without the super climb skill)?

16. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Save for the core rules themselves lay out Retreat! conditions, and explicitly state that if a scenario provides different Retreat! and/or end game rules, those rules take precedence.

17. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

If you can't meet the necessary conditions for a skill, you Idle. So, if it's "I think I can vault this, oops, not enough MOV to do so", you Idle.

18. DFW Ike

DFW Ike Well-Known Member

except while vaulting, you don't have to move all the way across the object, as written here: http://infinitythewiki.com/en/General_Movement_Rules

basically, you say "I'm going to vault over that chest-high wall over there" at the declaration of your order, and you measure out your 4" of movement (edit: during the execution of the order), which puts half of your base on the wall (it was 3.74" away, and cardboard thin, so you make it to the wall, just don't have enough space for your base on the other side), so you end up on the side of the wall (since you vault over the object at no cost)

If I'm missing something, please shot me a quote or page number.

#438 DFW Ike, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  19. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Move
    • The user's base must be fully in contact with the surface over which he is moving.
    • Troopers cannot Move through spaces narrower than their base.
    So no, you won't Idle and you know it.

That part is for ladders/stairs. Vault is for random obstacles, that are smaller than your S. You can finish your movement on a stair or ladder, but I don't think you can finish your movement halfway up something you are vaulting over. Unless it has a big enough top part to support your base (support = bigger than that circle).

20. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I don't think you've read what the core retreat rules are if you're making that comment. Hit the books, kid.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation