1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTF - VIRD/PanO Comparisons

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Ghost_X, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Ghost_X

Ghost_X Well-Known Member

I have seen a few people talk about how RTF seems to be PanO wannabes. I have also seen several comparisons between various units to the Kamau in Varuna.

Based on what we know right now, why are these comparisons being made and are they accurate?

Thanks!

2. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's too accurate, but visual mods + visors + above average BS galore used to be a thing about PanO. For one, Mukhtar RF looks eerily similar to a Nisse (although their movement and Rangebands differ significantly) to the point of almost daring you to sit down and start evaluating point costs of their differences. Then there are Hortlaks who remind us of bigger and fatter hackable Bagh Mari (so almost HI version of those), who, granted, forgot to bring their big guns.

Still considerable differences, but makes you think something along the lines of "this is not how Haqq used to fight".

With recent releases PanO got a bit more dirty stuff while some other factions got top-tier shooters, provoking some rather questionable cross-factional comparisons (because viability of main agents in actual lists strongly depends on the context of what else you can bring to support your stuff).

Nevertheless, it seems, as time progresses, factions will become more and more Nomad-like, as in able to build around almost anything in the game, with some factional flair to it.

Then again, there's a joke some of my locals seem to like: "All toy soldiers in Infinity are the same". And that joke isn't exactly new, as far as I can tell. And chances are, it never was about model range of PanO heavy infantry.

#2 Barrogh, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Judge Dredd, Shoitaan and oldGregg like this.
  3. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I havn't done a direct comparison, but do find the new Haqq models less than unique. The RTF models for the most part are decent and new to Haqq, but not the game. CB new design style is around sectoral fireteams, versus models. I'm a little concerned about this. I used to play Malifaux and in M1 the game design was very heavily focused on crews and how they interact(synergies), making players buy full crews at a time. Only 1 faction had a toolbox feel (pick model without direct synergy). As the game moved forward, they moved away from that because players were getting tired of having to replace their entire crew each time. It made it hard for part time gamers to keep up, since they would need to replace their entire crew every so often. The new always beat the old. when they went to M2 it was solid move towards less synergy oriented game.

One of the reasons I like infinity, is that picking up 1 new model could drastically change how an army felt. I get that CB already has a ton of models out there, and need to change the game design or start a point creep. Considering this is not a WYSIWYG game, point creep is not an option.

4. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Because critical thinking is hard, and it's easier on beret wearing brains to simplify why things are really all about them. :/

Needs must drive.

You'll always end up with similar answers to similar questions.

Section9 likes this.
  5. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

I see RTF more as a mix between OSS and VIRD personally. It still has Haqq flair though. In Infinity where the game is built off a universal rules set, your going to get units that are very similar. Personally its one of the reasons I love the game, and I am not personally concerned. We knew rtf would probably be like pano.

Errhile and Barrogh like this.
  6. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Not really seeing it.

VIRD's pretty much a 1-Wound Sectorial. You might run an ORC, or a TAG, or Patsy, but you're not really talking about multiple 2-Wound or NWI droops. It's focused on elite light infantry, maybe with one (possibly two) multi-Wound troops to anchor all your light stuff.

Ramah's not that. There's a lot of literal or psuedo 2-Wounds, NWI, etc.

Similarly, VIRD's all about trigger pulling. They're not really spraying with direct template weapons or lobbing grenades. If you're taking something like a shotgun and a flamethrower in VIRD, it's probably the only one in the entire list, and you probably bought one specific unit whose job it is to deliver that platform. Ramah's a lot more versatile, has a broader spectrum of tools, and they're paying for them. Compare the line troopers of both Sectorials and you get a sense of how both sectorials are similar and different.

#6 barakiel, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    havocfett, Errhile, Barrogh and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation