1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REM: remote presence & remote pilot - noob

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Romansky, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Romansky

Romansky Shadowrunner

Hej,

im sure it‘s only me and there could be a correlation to my heavy winy head and my red eyes …

As i tried to explain REM and according rules to a new player, using the infinity rule book, i found it really counter intuitive :)

Im a noob to Infinity too, so i would ask you to check my understanding of REM -

BASIC:

1. REM is a special type of trooper

// is this always coming along with the ability „remote presence“? What is remote presence?

2. A REM can only be played as long as you control another trooper with the according skill:
    „Remote Pilot“ - those are:
    Hacker / TAG / PILOT / Rem Driver?

3. Anyway a REM can use regular orders and execute actions on their own (as long 2 is true)

EXTENDED:

4. A rem driver is as special ability of another trooper which can buff a rem - any example?

5. Some troopers are mounted on intelligent rides (for example a motorbike), so when they are dismounted they act a as pilot and a rem…

i really dont find the parts in wiki or rulebook where This rem-Stuff is well and easily explained…

thanks and merry xmas, for whom it may apply!

2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Correct.

Incorrect. There used to be restrictions concerning what you had in your army to field remotes, but those got removed.

Note that there is still the annoyingly appendixed Special Restrictions chart: https://infinitythewiki.com/Restrictions_Chart
    TAGs cannot go Prone or declare Cautious Movement.
    Troopers mounted on a Motorcycle cannot go Prone, declare Cautious Movement, Climb, use ladders, Jump upward, or benefit from Partial Cover MODs.
    Remotes cannot declare Cautious Movement or be nominated as a new Lieutenant.
    Troopers with the Impetuous Special Skill cannot benefit from Partial Cover MODs.
    Irregular Troopers cannot be nominated as a new Lieutenant.​
    which is really easy to forget about in the middle of a game.

What might further confuse matters is that TAGs with Remote Presence get little deployable things with Pilot (Remote) on them. Those got added in a previous edition to try to make the TAGs with people inside them and the TAGs that don't have people inside them more equally useful.

Open up Infinity Army, click on Nomads, and scroll to the Rem Driver trooper. You'll see skill entries like RemDriver [+1 BS], and Rem Driver [+1 Dam, +1 WIP, +3 BTS]. The stuff in the brackets is the buff that profile can provide (all of the stuff in the brackets, you don't choose one item if it lists more than one thing).

See the Zondnautica. When someone driving a regular motorcycle dismounts, you put down a motorcycle marker (which is basically an inert piece of terrain) and a 25mm trooper model (the driver). When a Zondnaut dismounts, you put down the Zondmate (the remote) and a 25mm trooper model (the driver).

AI Motorcycle is under Equipment in the search/filter if you're browsing a faction that has access to it.

Romansky likes this.
  3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

1. Yes, but not that special. Troopers are light infantry, medium infantry, heavy infantry, REM, TAG, skirmisher, and warband. So REM is one of the types of trooper, but are in most respects not different from the other types. The only special rules the troop type has, as far as I can remember, are (1) REMs are hackable, and (2) REMs can't declare Cautious Movement.

1.5. No, Remote Presence is a skill that appears in the unit profile of troopers that have it. Many REMs have it, but not all of them, and some non-REM troopers have it. What the skill does is in the wiki.

2. No, you can add REMs to your list independently, just like any other trooper (there was a restriction along the lines you suggest in N3, but it's gone in N4).

3. Yes, REMs work like any other trooper. (Note, there is a special class of trooper with the Peripheral skill, which behaves differently, but has nothing to do with being a REM. Many Peripherals happen to be REMs, but not all. Most REMs aren't peripherals).

4. Remdriver is a skill which is explained in the wiki. Currently, very few troopers have the skill - most notably, the mercenary trooper Rem Racers have the Remdriver skill.

5. Only the Zondnautica, which is sort of a hybrid motorcycle/Peripheral. Don't worry about them until you've gotten your head around REMs and Peripherals. Zondnautica are weird.

Romansky likes this.
  4. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Remote presence is a skill that allows the trooper to gain an additional unconcious state and it is not tied to the troop type REM. https://infinitythewiki.com/Remote_Presence
    No. REMs are just normal troopers which you can put in your list in the same way as anyone else (exceptions still may apply in a few cases e.g. the Peripheral skill). Remote Pilots are just little bots attached to TAGs with the Remote Presence skill that will perform the same tasks a dismounted fleshbag TAG Pilot would do. https://infinitythewiki.com/Pilot

Yes they can.

the only two Troopers in the game with the Rem Driver Skill are the Apsara and the REM Racers.

REM RACER (RemDriver [+1 Dam, +1 WIP, +3 BTS]) Light Shotgun / Pistol, PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 12)
    PATHFINDER DRONBOT Combi Rifle, Flash Pulse / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 15)
    So theremracer will use it's RemDiver Skill to alter the Pathfinder's attributes

When dismounted, the Pilot - or better: Rider - and the REM will act like any Controller with a synchronized peripheral https://infinitythewiki.com/AI_Motorcycle

chromedog, colbrook and Romansky like this.
  5. Romansky

Romansky Shadowrunner

Thanks, so much!
    I really was confused by

a) the old rule from N3
    b) my weird understanding of „remote presence“
    c) mixing it somehow to peripherals…

now it‘s simple and clear again :)
    You guys are great!

colbrook likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation