1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinforcements feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Koni, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

If we were to talk about GML, I'd say treating REF as a GML balancing tool is a mistake from the get-go.

Because it limits the interaction between these two to a single game mode. All other games of Infinity may still include a GML, and it remains unaffected.

2. Grotnib

Grotnib Well-Known Member

For me personally, the introduction of Reinforcements rules has finally shifted my approach to Infinity from "an intricate art I'm trying to master" to "it's just a game"... The competitive part of me can't take what's happened seriously (no balance changes to the base game, Reinforcements is an optional mod (that seems to be rejected by most players), Reinforcements are clearly not fully developed when it comes to the actual reinforcement mechanic/interaction with a number of the current ITS Missions/the selection of troops and Commlink (+X) options available to the various Factions...) Then again, this has more or less forced me to approach the game in a way more relaxed way... "Sure, let's play a Reinforcements game with one of the Missions that isn't broken with the ruleset! I'll bring my JSA with no extra models and a Wardriver Hacker who can't Hack, against a Vanilla Haqqislam list with 17 models! It's just a game, no need to worry about the balance... It'll be funny if I do good though..."

Then again, I'm not beyond hope that Reinforcements turn out to have a great long term impact on the game (I've been surprised before), but the fact that CB doesn't have enough confidence in the system to make it and ITS standard seems to do a lot of heavy lifting...

Hope Warcrow turns out great (and competitive)!

Have a great day everyone!

3. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Some people have used A LOT of time and some money to perfect the GML alpha strike. I have seen from this thread and other social media channels that they are working double shifts to get reinforcement game mode cancelled because if they fail all those purchases and years of training are going to be obsolete. Some of them may even quit the game.

Personally I think that CB made the right call to let the players choose between two different game modes. Those who think that optimised GML alpha striking is the best form of entertainment can continue playing 6/300 games. Those who don't can play reinforcement games. Something for everyone.

When N5 released, I'm pretty sure that GML gets the same treatment as spec fire got from N4. At the mean time, I strongly recommend that anyone who doesn't like GML alpha strike continues to promote reinforcement game mode.

4. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I don't think I could disagree more.

5. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

You can play 5/250p games where GML is less of a problem. Alternatively you can convince your opponent/TO to play without GML or make homebrew rules that make it less effective alpha strike strategy.

Then again, if the whining and moaning about GML influenced CB to release reinforcement game mode so perhaps more whining and moaning will produce a changes to core N4 ruleset? Stranger things have happened in the world of miniature gaming. CB could easily make rulebook 3.0 or perhaps once again release the new edition too early like they did with N4.

Oh come on @Grotnib ! You are an excellent player and you know it. You also know that JSA and RTF have never in the history of Infinity have been so powerful as they are now compared to other factions. That commlink+0 aint going to stop you from winning. Let vHaqq enjoy the coveted S-tier spot for a moment. (Perhaps you should do a youtube video about the reinforcement faction tiers :smirk::smirk:)

#285 Tanan, Nov 7, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Aaaaand here we go. Trolling. Let me tell you one thing, with the proxy politics from CB the cost is nil over making a regular army. And regarding time? It takes minutes, unless you are completely new to the game rules, to see how to use GML in N4.

The more you talk, the more you prove to be a troll. Or playing a completely different game than everyone else.

7. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Talking more about intents, CB just released new version of ITS-15. According to CB Firefight is suitable for reinforcements, but Annihilation isn’t. Both are in my opinion missions with strong incentive to kill as much enemy as possible.

I’m Firefight you aren’t punished for lower threshold requirements but in Annihilation you are. Perhaps this is a just a coincidence.

#287 Tanan, Nov 7, 2023
  8. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

@xagroth i said “some money”. Truth to be told the resentment is probably more about time* than anything else. Miniature hobby isn’t that expensive.

* I mean some people vocally complained that Ko Dali smoke tricks were cancelled at the start of N4. I’m sure that trick had also been practiced a lot. vCA players seem to have a thing for non-interaction.

9. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

So out of a 15 page thread the only guy saying Reinforcements are well done is you, but somehow everyone else are CA players angered because all they ever play is GML and in your opinion Reinforcements nerfs that, so they are working double time to get the community not to play the mode.

That's one hell of a conspiracy theory, pal

Edit: all of this because you won a tournament by twisting the rules

10. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

I find this reasoning to be hilarious.

TAG and a heavy infantry trooper with lethal stats, skills and equipment = totally fine and balanced

Two single wound troopers with low stats, combi rifles and a odd gizmokit = OMG so broken, must be cheating

If CB or TO ever clarifies the intent of the reinforcements and prevents the use of two dudes with combi rifles and an odd gizmokit, I can take it because I can always play the TAG and HI instead. No problem.

#290 Tanan, Nov 7, 2023
  11. The Holy Knight

The Holy Knight Well-Known Member

do you believe it's true? :laughing:

12. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

*fighting the urge of joining the conversation*

*grabs popcorn*

*sits down*

*enjoys*

xagroth, burlesford and Errhile like this.
  13. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Perhaps the naysayers should test playing with 50p reinforcements before commenting?

14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

We're not saying your approach doesn't work. We're just saying that it's not what CB had in mind when they published the ruleset.

xagroth likes this.
  15. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

For the sake of argument let’s say that you have mastered the dark arts and managed to telepathically read the CB intent and that CB once again wrote their rules poorly.

I had fun time. My opponents had fun time. I creatively used cheap profiles and won the games using 50p less troops than my opponent. What’s wrong with that?

16. Sungwon

Sungwon Well-Known Member

I am a PanO player and never played Combined Army or Nomad before (I mean Guided missile). I had a reinforcement tournament a few months ago and a few more. I am willing to try reinforcement and I think it has many possibilities. However, mandatory commlink without any choices and the very strict 250-100 partition between the main and reinforcement group was not a fun list building experience.

xagroth and Space Ranger like this.
  17. Odiseo

Odiseo ㅤㅤㅤ

On the topic of the 50 points of reinforcements (and bear with me because, I'm sorry, I'm lost after hundreds of discussion messages), the other 50 points that were not used from the limit, were added to the main part ( which is not reinforcements) or were they not used at all?

Tanan likes this.
  18. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

@Odiseo not used at all. Total swc allowance of 7 was ofc used, because there are genuine low point cost gems in the reinforcements.

19. Odiseo

Odiseo ㅤㅤㅤ

I don't see what the problem is with using only 50 points for reinforcements.

xagroth and Tanan like this.
  20. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

And you would be correct, there isn't. It's the other stuff he's saying. This post sums it up pretty well.

xagroth likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation