1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rasail loadout recommendations

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Tezzireth, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Tezzireth

Tezzireth Member

Hi,
    I love the Rasail Boarding Team and often go on bloody rampages with it. I just take the Viral CR or Spitfire loadout and it works out astonishingly good. I have never seen anyone picking another loadout and I ask me when should I use which loadout and are they even worth it (in comparison to Viral CR or Spitfire)?

My thoughts so far:
    • Viral CR: Overall very deadly. Especially when you know your opponent fields many low BTS units. (*Ahem*...Ariadna...)
    • Spitfire: Overall very deadly. Especially when you know your opponent fields many low ARM units.
    • Viral CR vs Spirfire if there is no significant lack of ARM or BTS: which to choose? Both are excellent choices in my experience. One has higher wound potential and has a better close range the other one has higher Burst, Dmg and a longer range.
    • CR + AP Mines: Is the lower cost worth it? Use it for coordinated mine-laying? Are Antipersonal Mines better than Viral Ammunition or a Spitfire?
    • BS + Contender: When your Enemy wants to hug you. When the Map is full of cover letting you get really close. But then I think Viral CR is more versatile so I do not choose this loadout.
    • LS + 2xContender: In range 8' to 16' it feels a bit like the Viral CR, but with a lower Burst.
    What would you recomment when to use which loadout? What are the Pros and Cons?

2. thirteenpixels

thirteenpixels Well-Known Member

I always play the Viral Combi. Never have the SWC for the Spitfire.

If you play the Mines one remember you can't coordinated order when you are G:synched. Personally, I'd only do that for the mine trick to force a dodge and I always want them thinking they should shoot back and eating the Chaksa FT.

Also if you want to play the BS+Contender one don't worry about the board having cover since you're bringing your own.

Really though, the Rasail isn't bad at anything so just take whatever one you want to try out and it will shine.

3. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

I reckon by "cover" he means Total Cover, so that a short range profile can close the distance.

But in an army with linked Eclipse, you basically have your own Total Cover too.

Mines are really powerful, and worth having. But since the Clipsos fits into a list pretty easily, you probably don't need to devote this role to the Rasail. It's hard to argue with either the Viral or Spitfire roles.

4. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

As someone just breaking into using the Rasail these are my thoughts:

I think the Combi+Mines version is the strongest 3 lesser used profiles. It could not be used in a coordinated order because of its Chaksa, (or at least until the Chaksa is in a Null State), but moving it to put down mines as it moves up the table or setting down a mine peaking past a corner before moving out to shoot the enemy unit is a pretty solid tactic for any mine equipped unit. Plus with the Chaksa you are forcing them to have to decide to dodge two templates, (one at a -3), or eat two templates, (one Shock, and one Fire), and shoot back.

I can see the boarding shotgun being a great attack peace if your opponent does not put out a lot of long range AROs, or if you have the units to clear them out without too much trouble. If you can get the boarding shotgun and the Chaksa's heavy flamethrower into range they opponent is looking at either eating a fire template, or trying to dodge a BS18 boarding shotgun shot.
    The contender is really just for AROs coming from that 8"-16" band.

The light shotgun fills the same tactics as the boarding shotgun, (though with 1 less damage and no AP option), but has the slight benefit of having 2 contenders, so it is able to throw out burst 2 DA shots as it closes in with the light shotgun, so it may need a little less help clearing AROs as it gets into position.

As for the the choice between the Viral or Spitfire, I think it comes down to what else you will be bringing in the list. If you already have 2 decent mid to long range units, the Viral is generally better as it forces 2 saves, ignores NWI and Dogged on one wound models, and ignores Shock Immunity, (which is now a more common combination spanning a few armies).
    If you do not have other mid to long range units in your list the Spitfire is probably the better choice.

5. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I use the combi+mines version pretty much exclusively of the three, although that's not to say I dislike the viral or spitfire variants. For me, the lower cost is often significant, and I love mines - which if nothing else means you can always use the Lieutenant order for something productive by advancing and laying a mine.

On that note, the Rasail should also always be your lieutenant if possible. The trooper has some minor downsides compared to other Tohaa models in that it isn't linkable and is a little expensive relative to the fury-discounted Sakiel which it is otherwise very similar to in terms of offensive output; its value proposition is in being able to make use of that free lieutenant order to attack or set up a perimeter defence.

Thaddius likes this.
  6. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Till now I have only used the Viral Rasail sometimes and then only as Lieutenant to make use of the additional Order cause all my other options usually are bound in link teams. And when I used him I hadn't the SWC left for the spitfire and wanted the punch of the viral compered to the combi rifle.

Fun fact: completely forgot that there were contender profiles too :joy:

7. SirTycho

SirTycho Well-Known Member

The ViralCombi Lieutenant loadout is in nearly 100% percent of my lists. I always use his lieutenant order aggressively, like "come at me, bro. i'm the boss" (knowing there is a chain of command in reserve ;) )

8. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I prefer Spitfire Rasail, despite the hight SWC cost: more dice means more crits.
    Also, the extra range helps during the first turn.

Thaddius likes this.
  9. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

If I am building the list, the Viral Combi Lt with a mate is a nigh autoinclude. I'm down with the spitfire Lt as well, but I usually don't have the SWC and have frequently found myself inside of 8" trying to get the peripheral into place and no longer optimal range for the spitfire, whereas the viral/combi can't get close enough.

I have gotten both the boarding shotgun and the combi/mines profiles in random lists and have enjoyed them all, but I miss that extra Lt order to keep that rambo push going. The opponent cannot resist gunning for this dude when he is up the table after I spend the Lt order, even knowing I have double chain of command. This always works out well because with effectively four wounds mated up, he is a serious pain in the ass to remove, regardless of the profile.

10. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

the combi+mines LT model is good for Decapitation. Tough durable lieutenant that brings a buddy and mines to protect themselves.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation