1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random thought about AP Ammo

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Stiopa, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I was just talking about various Ariadna HMGs, when a thought hit me. What if AP would remove 3 ARM from its target (including cover), instead of half of target's own ARM?

It'd make it stronger against light troops at the cost of being marginally less useful against ARM 8+ TAGs. It'd also make AP vs Shock choice for Multi weapon users, well, a choice, instead of always going the "meh, just shoot Shock" route.

Thoughts?

Rey, eciu, barakiel and 2 others like this.
  2. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Simple, but clear. I like it.

3. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I don't think it should include cover. I want flanking attacks to stay a big deal.

4. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

You would [emoji14] (So do I).

But no, I don't like it. Let's nerf MI more, they clearly need it.

5. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Presently, I prefer being able to give my opponent reason to pause when I pop out of cover and fire point blank at an Avatar with a Ryuken SMG :D

6. inane.imp

Why would they pause? Generally the correct response is 'I Sepsitor you', the only time it's not is if you don't have LOF (Change Facing if not in Suppression, 'do nothing' if in Suppression) or are in Suppression (BS Attack with MHMF in Suppression Fire, Shock Ammo).

There's some edge cases where you want to do something else (use AP ammo if you need an Unc troop for a Classified) but they're largely self evident.

meikyoushisui and xagroth like this.
  7. paraelix

I was trying to psych him into breaking his suppression to free up an avenue of attack for Jimmy. I don't get your thinking on "do nothing" if in suppression and out of LoF though... If I'd managed the flank, that would have had me on 9s to hit with 3 dice with the Avatar out of cover... 5% crit chance, 45% to hit and 45% to fail Arm roll isn't terrible odds.

8. inane.imp

You're unlikely to do 3 STR, which means that the Avatar is most likely going to be able to Warning and turn to face, leaving you staring at an Avatar which is still on Suppression.

Does nothing (51% odds of 1STR, 12% 2STR, 1% 3STR, 100% odds of Warning and does not lose Suppression).

Change Facing (46% odds of 1STR, 9% 2STR, 1% 3STR, 9% odds of succeeding at a Change Facing and loses Suppression).

Odds are either way you're probably losing 1 STR, but you're in significantly better position on the next order if you do nothing rather than Change Facing.

xagroth and paraelix like this.
  9. paraelix

That's fair - You just said do nothing, so that's all I was thinking of :P

10. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Too late! Problem with this idea is that it's too late. AP has already been made a dump-ammo and exists on a large number of weapons, many of which are cheap 0 SWC.
    As to the idea itself there's also the issue that it hits ARM in a really bad way. ARM is already really expensive and again with the large number of AP weapons it'd devalue all ARM values below 8.

So sure. Just remove it from all ranged weapons that's not a shotgun or costs less than 14 points. (I think the AP sniper will be okay with that limit...)

xagroth likes this.
  11. Magonus

Magonus Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. The "half value" effects in the game (Breaker, AP, E/M) seem like a holdover from the RPG days, as -3 would be clearer and more consistent with other modifiers.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  12. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It's the background of Infinity that's based on RPG sessions, not the rules.

Flipswitch likes this.
  13. Stiopa

Point about not affecting cover is well taken, though I still think moving from halving the attribute to using modifiers would be a good thing. Same goes for Breaker and E/M ammo.

14. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Mechanically I like it. That's how AP should work anyway, penetrating armour up to a certain point. To expand on that you'd probably need to also lower the DAM value for AP by one.

That's how AP should work anyway, lower man stopping power (-1 DAM) as a tradeoff for higher penetration (-3 ARM) seems good to me.

For the game as a whole it would mean AP gets better vs ARM 3 break even for ARM 1,2,4,5 and be worse against ARM 0,6+.
    Not sure if that is worth much, but it would be a way to increase value for higher ARM levels.

#14 Teslarod, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  15. Stiopa

That's one of the effects I had in mind.

Keyrott and eciu like this.
  16. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Nice idea.

Where are all those people saying that game is fine and if you dont like it how designers made it you should GTFO ?

17. Stiopa

Probably in threads where people argue for some wild changes that would completely mix up the gameplay.

Solar, Hiereth, Balewolf and 2 others like this.
  18. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Interesting change, but can be devastating for most HI.

As a much smaller change I would suggest the AP ammo cuts ARM in half OR subtracts 1.

This way it can still be pointed as is and isn't totally useless against 1 ARM units.

19. sarf

sarf Well-Known Member

Could be interesting change, but it would devastate a lot of troops so it should lead to massive point increase of all AP weapon holders because of increased efficiency.

Abrilete likes this.
  20. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

I think this would make the SMG very, very attractive.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation