1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question...Inspiration behind Combined Army

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Archaon1617, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Archaon1617

Archaon1617 New Member

IDK if it belongs here or on another thread so my apologies.
    Anyone know where the inspiration for the Combined Army and more specifically their sectorials (OCF MAF and SEF) came from. Like one idea seems to be from the Covenant and Forerunners but does anyone know others and any books to read that is similar to those sectorials? Thank You.

2. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

The inspirations were many. Hard for me to come up with some specific ones regarding aliens, but for MAF one would be WWII-era Imperial Japan.

chromedog likes this.
  3. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I believe the EI was inspired by the artificial intelligence in A Fire Upon the Deep. Likewise, extremely antipode-like aliens exist in that story - dog creatures that need to form trios in order to think intelligently.

chromedog likes this.
  4. TAKEZO

TAKEZO Well-Known Member

5. Noir Kara

Noir Kara Member

I played the short lived “Sedition Wars” by CMON and find that the bio contamination as well as enslavement to zombies bears resemblance to the reports of Paradiso, especially the fate of the Aurora. I agree that theShaas are probably modeled on the film Enemy Mine, with the citizens of the EI empire probably similar to other races, life, survival, innovation. It’s when the EI becomes involved and is under pressure that nasty stuff happens. Like the human sphere and corporations, Aleph, etc. violence begets violence.

6. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Well, mechanically Infinity has some concepts apparently inspired by the 1st ed. Warzone wargame. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the factions from the Mutant Chronicles universe had a hand in giving an inspiration to Infinity factions as well (some aspects of the Dark Legion could be, possibly, traced to the Combined Army. And a couple of the Corporations from MC having similar aesthetics to some of the Infinity factions. Then again, we should be careful about these - MC Mishima and Infinity's JSA are both Japan in Space, with a good dose of Samurai in Space - so there's not that much room left to maneuver).

chromedog and Papa Bey like this.
  7. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I do not see much connection with warzone, but key concepts can be shared by many creative worlds.

8. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Not as a dig, but because in broad strokes there are just only so many archetypes.

Ha.

chromedog likes this.
  9. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Yeah, it's like the guys who say MO look like space marines because both are monastic orders in space with power armor.

I do feel the new shasvastii took a page from The Yaujta in their design, but there's a lot of uniqueness to them too (like the build-in guns). Morat are clearly a bunch of japanese stuff crammed together, with designs that get a big Oni feel mixed in with real life soldiers and some odd stuff like their hooves. And the Umbra are just True Sith.

10. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

I love in depth fluff on who and what the Umbra are in the N4 books.

11. Noir Kara

Noir Kara Member

89DE1891-2166-47CB-909D-E9075FCB7147.jpeg In continued examination of the Infinity universe, I find that it will be easy to adapt my mindset to play EI companies. The history of humanity and the Tohaa is certainly so underwhelming that one must ask the question “how did they get off their home planet?” Humanity in the 175 years in the future are a bunch of greedy grasping clowns with even religion treated as highly intellectual bosses with no real faith. There is absolutely no redeeming feature except maybe in Aristeia! where some otherwise orphans are allowed to kill for fame. Tohaa messed up humanity by re routing the Aurora from Dawn to Paradiso for some selfish experiments and eventual black ops getting the EI after humans for the possession of the digester. This to give Tohaa a breathing space… ! In typical plot fashion the colonists blamed earth and made Dawn a Russian controlled nation, despite what you would think would be a sense of history. It was then that the Americans began to worship American history even though blaming the country for abandoning them! There is no reason to believe that the powers of humanity as fractured as they are will do more than join the EI, their population already under Aleph and blow the Tohaa up. Fitting. This being said, I will most likely do Ariadna and Combined Army. Ariadna for atek battalions who hate tech and use solid state teseum and Combined Army for the fun tech. ❤️

#11 Noir Kara, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation