1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private information: Cost and SWC

Discussion in 'Rules' started by WWHSD, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWHSD

WWHSD Well-Known Member

In the list of things that are considered Private Information, what is meant by “Your Troopers’ Cost and SWC”?

I thought it was specifically referring to the Cost and SWC of the model that gets deployed on the table. For example, if your opponent points to your Kappa with a Combi rifle, and asks for their Cost and SWC, you aren’t required to tell them since that information could reveal that the model is or isn’t the Lt. or a Holomasked Cho.

I’ve become aware that there are other people that interpret that line to mean all Cost and SWC information about profiles is off limits. For example, wondering how many points Hector with a Plasma Rifle and a Tin-Bot costs and looking up his profile to find out is a violation of Private information.

Is Cost and SWC being Private Information meant to allow a player to keep secret the information about their specific deployed trooper? Or, is it meant to prevent players from looking up the existence and cost of profiles in general during games?

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

This is a long term discussion point.

Mostly I've found people think:
    1. The SWC and Price of a Trooper is Private Information
    2. The SWC and Price of a profile is widely available and anyone can access it
    3. Some players can list build effectively in their heads
    3. Time wasting is rude

This means that rebuilding your opponent's list at the table is valid (even using online tools), but likely to be rude unless you can do it quickly enough to not interfere with the flow of the game.

DaRedOne, WyrdGM, Diphoration and 6 others like this.
  3. WWHSD

WWHSD Well-Known Member

Hang on, how’d you guess that’s where this all stemmed from?

It was that discussion that made me question what I thought was a pretty clear bullet point on the Private Information list. The person I was talking with also thought it was extremely clear as well. Somehow on this piece of rules that both of us thought was clearly written, our interpretations were diametrically opposed.

I’m trying to focus on what is and is not Private Information without dragging the whole “Can I use Army to try and figure out what my opponent has.” drama into the discussion.

#3 WWHSD, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  4. inane.imp

I didn't guess.

Literally the only reason this gets discussed is because someone goes "can my opponent use Army to recreate my list during the game?"

But trying to argue that the fact a Zero Minelayer is 20pts / 0.5 SWC is Private Information is laughable.

What the rule is meant to prevent is being forced to answer the variations of the question "how many points/SWC do you have deployed/in that zone?"

The easier example of the same principle is Lts:
    - the fact that there are only 5 legal Lt profiles in Tunguska is just a fact
    - the fact that I have an Interventor with a Combi Rifle on the table is Open Information
    - the fact that that Interventor is my Lt is Private Information.

5. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

There is no official ruling on this and it's treated differently depending on where you play like playing with or without intent is. Talk to your group and figure out how you want to play with it.

For me personally, my meta considers it cheating to use army to access private information for the purposes of things like figuring out how many points are in a zone to make strategic decisions.

6. WWHSD

WWHSD Well-Known Member

I don’t understand how what the rules consider to be Private Information can be a subjective thing that varies by location. How can a Kappa with a Combi Rifle being 12 points and a Kappa with a Combi Rifle that is also a Lt. being 14 and half an SWC be Private Information. They are facts, pieces of trivia. Having access to that piece of trivia is not the same thing as knowing that the model on the table, who you have been told is a Kappa with a Combi rifle, is definitely 14 points.

To say that you don’t want to allow access to a particular tool during an event because the consensus is that it is rude or somehow bad for the game is fine. If a TO or local community don’t want people using Army as a reference during a game, that’s as much their prerogative as requiring people to roll physical dice instead of using a dice app.

7. WWHSD

WWHSD Well-Known Member

Funny that you mention Lts. As part of this discussion I also became aware that it is considered bad form to use Army to check what an army’s options for their Lt are. The only way to know which models might possibly be your opponent’s Lt is to memorize the Pokedex.

8. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Again that varies from group to group. For me, yes, bad form to do that, for other places, business as usual.

9. inane.imp

In my meta we generally assume that our opponents know the options. In a casual game I'll happily tell my opponent what the options are, occasionally even going "there's only one Lt option in this list, it's the Interventor" particularly if asked.

In a tournament I won't, but have no issue with an opponent who's not sure checking. How they use their time doesn't worry me. It's only when it impacts the pace of the game I'd have issues a simple "dude, play the game, check Army afterwards" would solve it.

The issue isn't checking widely available information but any impact on timing.

10. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Discussed extensively in this thread: https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/public-lt-wip-is-making-them-too-obvious.39145/page-2

It's not. The rules are completely clear. Anyone who bans checking Army during a game is imposing a house rule.

Pretty much, yeah. It would be a house rule, but TOs are allowed to impose house rules in their events. Kind of a dumb house rule, but I suppose if the meta had a problem with people wasting game time messing around in Army, that would be one way to solve it.

Diphoration and inane.imp like this.
  11. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Right, the same way that anyone imposing -any- sportsmanship or outside considerations on the game (like telling someone to stop looking at the other player’s list) is imposing a house rule. :-/

12. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Wait, why would it be bad if a player looks at another players list? Not even talking about sportsman like conduct but, theirs gonna be real time aerial recon of any battle being parsed through super computers running information compared to every past recorded battle. Any troop that's visible on the battle field is gonna be analyzed and reported to the force on the ground just like we do today with UAVs but better. Using quantum computing with knowledge a government has about the capabilities of another government, they'll be able to report the possibility of a hidden deployment, holomask, impersonation or drop troop.

13. QueensGambit

"Private Information is information you can keep to yourself that your opponent cannot ask about. Your Private Information remains secret until a specific game event forces you to disclose it."

Looking at the sheet of paper on which your opponent keeps their Private Information would be cheating.

The "looking at Army" question keeps coming up because of a few players who believe that because they don't have to disclose their Private Information, their opponent isn't allowed to deduce it from the information legitimately available to them. That reading has been thoroughly debunked, over and over, most recently in the thread I linked above. There would be no point rehashing the reasons yet again.

inane.imp, Diphoration and toadchild like this.
  14. Koval

Koval Well-Known Member

The Kappa in the original question is a good example to use.

Whether you paid 0 or 1 SWC for your Kappa is private information.
    The fact that a Kappa costs 12 points and either 0 or 1 SWC (depending on if it's the lieutenant) is open information.
    Some players consider it bad form to open up Army to check the points/SWC cost of it, but there's no rule against it.
    Some (more than the previous point) players consider it bad form to make your opponent's entire list in Army to see if they have the SWC leftover to spend the 1 for that Kappa to be their lieutenant, but there's no rule against it.

15. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

And a single camo marker or holomask will making solving this impossible anyway.

Dragonstriker, Koval and colbrook like this.
  16. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Err, well, let me speak specifically then. I wasnt implying looking at hidden info, but a courtesy list... unless is that no longer a thing? Also, I'm have trouble finding a print list option in the army app on android? Am I missing something here?

17. QueensGambit

Oh, yeah, for sure you can look at the courtesy list. That's what it's for - it's a list of all the information on the army list except the Private Information. Printing it It's the happy face button on the browser version of Army. I haven't checked the Android app version.

18. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Okay so everything is the same as before. I believe that is what the OP has been describing all along. The courtesy list may not have cost and SWC but a good player probably knows so as long as a lesser player doesnt take up too much time, I'm not opposed to them building the list on their app. As above, I'd equate this to to aerial surveillance and quantum computing data from past conflicts. That being said, the amount of time, I'd allow for this is probably 3 minutes. That's enough time to rebuild my list adding in the Lt version of every model I have that could be the Lt. Like a Spitfire Domaru and Oyoroi on the table, I would just add the Lt version for each instead of the version that's not, then as we're playing if the my opponent can figure it out, good for them. Or if they figure I'm missing roughly 35 points vs 60 and how many models and markers i have on the table. How many ninja/oniwaban I'd have. If a good player can do this mentally, I'm not gonna deprive an average player, I'm just gonna tell them "here's my list, you got 3 minutes to reconstruct it in your app, then we're kicking this thing off"!

19. WWHSD

WWHSD Well-Known Member

Courtesy lists and being able to print your list seems to only be an option in the browser version. I can’t get my phone to even load the browser version even if I tell it to request the desktop site.

#19 WWHSD, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  20. WWHSD

WWHSD Well-Known Member

It looks like this thread is getting derailed by the topic I was trying to avoid. I think everyone (for the most part) agrees that an event organizer or local Infinity community can impose any sort of restrictions that they want to.

The question that I’m looking to get answered is “Is Cost and SWC of profiles in general Private Information, or are Price and SWC only Private Information in respect to the Troopers in your current force.”

As I see it, the question “How many points does the basic Kappa Profile with a Combi cost?” doesn’t involve Private Information. Asking “You have told me that this model has the basic Kappa with Combi profile. What was this model’s cost?” would involve Private Information.

This seems like it should be a relatively straightforward rules question that has an unambiguous answer.

toadchild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation