1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Should failed healing inflict wounds in N4?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Hachiman Taro, Apr 23, 2020.

?

Should failed healing attempts inflect wounds in N4?

1. No. Doctors and Engineers should do no harm, even when they fail

59 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Yes. It's fine how it works now

35 vote(s)
    37.2%
  1. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

It's slightly abstracted.

toadchild likes this.
  2. FlipOwl

FlipOwl Well-Known Member

I think the current situation makes absolute sense, at least for doctors. Modern medicine in general, and emergency medicine in particular, is very much based on following certain protocols to attain best possible care given available resources. The outcomes should be quite predictable for any given practitioner given the same set of circumstances (equipment, resources and patient's condition).

Therefore it makes more sense to view the Doctor roll as a fixed roll akin to Electric Pulse, with a value set to the WIP of the doctor for convenience. What is variable is the status of the patient, which is what you can see the roll as reflecting. It would be unnecessarily cumbersome to rewrite the rules to have this structure when the result is mechanically identical, so I say it makes the most sense to keep it as it is.

Many historical hex-and-counter systems with high simulationist ambitions use systems like these to attain a reasonable level of fog of war regarding the effects of enemy fire on your troops, and I don't see why it shouldn't work in Infinity.

I don't know enough about battlefield repairs to equipment to do more than speculate, but I guess that if you need to remove an armour panel from a TAG to try to repair a servo, and then find that the panel is warped after taking a hit so you can't get it back in place properly would constitute a loss of STR for the TAG. Again, many historical wargames use the concept of a mission kill to represent units that need to retreat off the battlefield because they have suffered damage to their main armament for example. The tank or TAG isn't "killed", it is simply ordered to return to base for a proper repair in order to not risk the expensive platform.

Xeurian likes this.
  3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Gameplay-wise, I would rather that medical skills weren't one-shot.

For the fluff perspective, this is field medicine. The "patient" is down, status unknown. He's a Schroedinger's patient, if you will. The doctor finds out if they can save the guy or not. Same for Engie, finds out if field repairs are possible or the vehicle is scrap.

4. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

That doesn't make sense for operational TAGs that become no longer operational. He broke it, the idiot.

Abrilete and inane.imp like this.
  5. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

- Scotty, I need more power in that TAG!
    - But captain, the terrilium flux is already beyond 120%, if I increase it it will explode!
    - Sorry captain, I told you that would happen.
    - Scotty, you’re fired.

Brokenwolf and loricus like this.
  6. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Well it's still killing people in C1.

But at least Medkits don't inflict a PH penalty anymore and Regeneration(Automedkit) is automatic for free.

7. Nuada Airgetlam

But now you stand back up like a dummy to get shot again.

8. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I guess there's going to be a lot more Move(into total cover) + BS Attack orders than there used to.

9. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Unless you want to stay and ARO afterwards don't you already?

10. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Not if it's "fence" style cover.

11. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

What's that referring to?
    You're still Prone after Unconscious, Healing doesn't change that (as far as I saw in the rules).
    Regeneration doesn't pop you up either.
    Easier Half Cover, same requirements for Total Cover.

?

12. Nuada Airgetlam

From what I read people report it, no, you stand back up after being healed. Prone is cancelled.

13. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

From the Prone state section of the C1 rules:
    Troopers whose Unconscious State is cancelled will automatically cancel their Prone state as well.

Edit: C1 still insists in putting the States section all the way at the end of the book, as if it where an appendice or something. It should be movement, combat, skills, equipment, states, and THEN everything else.

wes-o-matic and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  14. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

As a side note, I would've preferred this to be optional. But I think I like this better than N3 rules.

But I also have a feeling that there's a chance W/Str restoration isn't even going to be the main issue when it comes to bringing back your stuff to functional state...

Lesh' likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation