1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pack it up boys and girls, Invincible Army isn't next

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by HouseOfKings, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Death

Death Well-Known Member

You do release that Psychoticstorm is a MOD on this forum. Right? RIGHT?

I'm not surprised by the low Raiden usage. I never liked the limited camo profile. It felt too unreliable and I imagine quite a lot of JSA players so it that way.

As for why Pano has the most sectorials, its real simple. Its the same reasons Games Workshop has clear favoritism for the space marines. Pano is the #1 selling faction and has been from the games start. Now, other factions can become a temporary #1 with new releases, especially big ones like Red Veil. But inevitably, Pano goes back on top.

#41 Death, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    sarf, Abrilete, chromedog and 2 others like this.
  2. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

See, I don't like this train of thought at all where people look at the numbers and think "wow, 15 seems like a low number I'd be sad if I only had 15 dollars, therefore 15% is really low and nobody will care if this unit is removed." It's people taking statistics and not actually applying them to the situation at hand. That's how we get stupid arguments based on faulty logic.

15% usage is roughly 1 in 6. So every 1 out of 6 vanilla lists submitted utilised a Raiden. Players bring two lists to every event. So statistically, I'm likely to have brought a Raiden to every third event I go to.

I don't know how it is for you, but locally we've had players go to at least 1 event per month so far this year, and are signed up to play in an event next month. If you remove a unit from each of their factions that only sees about 15% usage, like the Raiden or Daofei, you will probably have impacted each and every one of them so far.

We're not talking about a model you dust off once a year to play with, these models see consistent usage in tracked play, let alone casual play. If I sign up for an event with a Raiden, you can likely expect I spent the prior 3-4 weeks playing with it when settling on a list for an event.

If the Daofei getting cut from YJ would make you sad, the Raiden getting cut from YJ should also make you just as sad because they each saw almost identical useage in that data.

#42 Triumph, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    silvertongue, Barrogh, Kallas and 2 others like this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

About the same thing I'm going to be doing with 6 Domaru, 5 Haramaki, Neko, Shinobu, Oniwaban, ... 8 Keisotsu, 6 Ninjas, 3 Karakuri, 2 O-Yoroi+Pilots, 3 Kempeitai, and 8 various Aragoto.

Maybe playing JSA, maybe selling the all. Or maybe just lighting the entire fucking collection on fire and quitting the game, depending on how offensive the fluff is.

Except that they don't have all the data they think they do. I have never saved an army list, so none of the lists I've played have shown up in CB's data mining. Unless someone else copied them and saved them in Army 6.

Hecaton, Kallas, Benkei and 3 others like this.
  4. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

The data is gathered en masse. The loss of one players data isnt going to make a noticeable difference. And the game is balanced around ITS, are you saying they shouldn't rely on ITS data to balance ITS?

5. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Hmm, that is a good point. But in Vanilla Yu Jing I'd much rather take Major Lunah. I wonder how many Yu Jing players were using the Raiden just because they also played JSA.

6. Triumph

Raiden comes with Minelayer, which is a considerable boon for certain mission types with close objectives that need defending like Transmission Matrix and Capture and Protect. It's mission dependent and also meta dependent, if you face alot of cheap links the Raiden brings more utility in threat levels.

7. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Its a simple calculation. The number of rage quits will be very few compared to the players who will look at their Yu Jing and JSA models, shrug, and say I guess I play two factions now.

I'll make a bet that in this year's ITS and next years ITS, there will be no significant different in the number of Yu JIng players.

sarf, Fire Broadside, taylor and 2 others like this.
  8. Triumph

The sad part is with minimal effort they could've taken steps to eliminate or at the very least, mitigate the amount of blowback they're getting.

Unfortunately they proved they're complete amateurs when it comes to product planning and community management. You'd hope they learn something from this entire dumpster fire, but given they weren't smart enough to avoid it in the slightest before hand, I doubt that'll happen.

9. Ten Thousand Arrows

Ten Thousand Arrows Imperial Sage

Again, if you don't think there will be "rage quits" then you're assuming that most people who got screwed out of enjoying their vanilla Yu Jing are still loyal to the company screwing them. It's pretty sad and a little concerning that I'm on the verge of putting my collection to one side and picking up the game next year when the holes get filled, and that I'm still willing to buy the new support pack. Corvus Belli knows this, and rely on this. That's why they're fine with cutting a large percentage of well used miniatures (hell even 5% of all ITS Yu Jing lists is statistically significant and I'm shocked that it's not being treated that way), they know that the players will keep buying. The'll either buy the shiny new JSA or buy more ISS models.

Psychotic I understand that you have an opinion, but others are entitled to voice theirs too.

10. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Leads to a bit of a feedback loop, though. The best seller is given the most attention because it sells the best. It sells the best because it gets the most attention. But it's the best seller so it should get the most attention. But it only sells best because we give it attention....

Anyway, IIRC the numbers of Pan-O players are nowhere near a huge gap over other factions, but they are notably larger. They're a best-seller, but like 5% better or so, not some vast gap where they're the majority faction. They're undeniably the plurality faction, though.

However, in 40k, it got to the point the majority of players were estimated as Space Marines. Nearly half the available army lists and factions were a variant of Space Marine, and to this day still are, AFAIK. I watched 40k become more and more Space Marine dominated since 1998. Now, the Marines were the biggest faction from the start, since, well, they WERE the start. But it's made 40k really kind of bland and complacent, because they tried to keep selling the big seller with a different variant. That's been good for business, yeah, but it seems like there's only so many Space Marines you can sell. They literally put a Space Marine inside of a Space Marine before they decided to make Space Marines, but Even More Space Marine-y for the new edition. IIRC there was a time where about 80% of a year's releases were some kind of Space Marine or Marine Equivalent force.

Why did Marines sell most to start with, though? I think it's at least in part because they were simple to use, and cheaper to buy a decent size army of, as well as the obvious fact of being clear poster-boys given Marines have been a faction in every two-player starter set. Not every player starts with a two-player set of course, even in 40k. But their selling points drew in more players starting.

Pan-O, in contrast, have been in one starter set, and aren't really much cheaper to buy or simpler to use than any other faction, especially since in Infinity small forces have actually been a little more complicated to use historically, making cheaper-to-buy ironically a bit more for advanced players to an extent. They may be the best sellers because they're the best established, not the other way around as happened with Marines. Plus, Pan-O may have already hit the point where all they can do is Space Marines inside of a Space Marine, because after the last two sectorials, there's not much left. And there's also the Aconticimento mystery as to what "exploding" really means.

I don't think CB have the same kind of tunnel vision GW had for the "best seller" faction, and remember, in a way, the JSA thing was more intended to broaden the faction numbers of Infinity than to punish an existing one. That it hasn't quite worked that way for a few players, well, omelettes and eggs.

11. Warhydra

Warhydra Well-Known Member

Well, there will be less YJ player overall, since those that play only JSA (And those that jump ship) would no longer be part of the faction, it wouldn't be due to people leaving en mass though.
    Personally I find all this talk of rage quit to be rather undignified, we've survived N2 and this hardly compares to it.

Abrilete, chromedog, Zewrath and 2 others like this.
  12. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Yeah but Yu Jing and secotorials are different satistics in the ITS report. I suspect there will be a similar number of generic Yu Jing this year and next year. JSA however will probably get a bunch more players. Nothing like a new starter with fresh new sculpts to bring in new players.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  13. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

YJ players ragequitting over the JSA split?
    Complaints about blantant favourism towards PanO from CB?
    PanO, I read that right, yes?

[​IMG]

Congratulations on everyone who sticks with YJ, seems like you'll have a decent chance to get something done in this years campaign.
    Unfortunately I won't be joining you this year either, because I'll be preoccupied with traitors and Hyperpowers.
    Good luck anyway.

It's not like CB plan their schedule probably like a year in advance. So naturally CB should cave when the mob demands a blood sacrifice to quell it's anger, right?

#53 Teslarod, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  14. Triumph

It's almost like a competent business would anticipate consumer backlash and have some kind of blood sacrifice prepared to quell their earned anger.

CB on the other hand, being run by a bunch of useless amateurs went with "piss part of our consumer base off then laugh at them, then get upset they're mad at us, then pretend we did nothing wrong."

Perhaps you say the useless amateurs have more character, but I'd prefer the business to be run by intelligent folk, thanks.

15. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Oh you know what you would really like?

My theory about the 5 new army slots this year being based on those 5 that got a new or reworked Profile including sculpts last year.

JSA - Shikami
    Tunguska - Kriza Borac
    Vedic - Danavas
    Varuna - Kamau
    Ramah Task Force - Tarik/Khawarij

You might wanna stock up on salt my friend. Enough to fight off an ice age or two.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  16. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

It’s almost like they imagined folks might be able to react like adults, but, hey, disappointment all around.

17. Death

Death Well-Known Member

I don't see much customer backlash. I see a few angry posters (understandably so) who, even if they raged quit the game, would hardly affect sells.

If the number of Yu Jing players tank and nobody is around to buy the Immortal Army when it comes out then yeah. Theres a big problem then. I don't see it happening. And clearly neither does CB.

18. Triumph

I don't know if you've noticed, but most of us have already realised that IA isn't coming this year, in fact a bunch of us came to this conclusion even before Adepticon. It might have something to do with why people are mad. Might.

19. Death

Death Well-Known Member

I have no idea why anyone was thinking the Immortal Army would come this year. Wishful thinking? There sure has been zero indications that IA was anywhere close to coming out.

cazboab and Teslarod like this.
  20. Triumph

When the JSA split was announced the first line of fanboi defense was "don't worry you're complaining over nothing, CB has something for you just around the corner!"

Fanbois, not being particularly smart or intelligent, were predictably wrong.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation