1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Out Of Ammo" - You Are Probably Doing It Wrong

Discussion in 'Modiphius Entertainment' started by AdmiralJCJF, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

It's interesting. The Imperial Japanese Army of WW2 designed their hand grenade so that it could be thrown by hand, launched from the 'knee mortar' (the Type 89 Grenade Discharger), or launched from the Type 100 rifle-grenade launcher, but they seem to be the only nation to have ever done so. Those grenades suffered from having too little explosive filler, which gave them a lousy reputation, but the idea makes sense (one less variety of ammunition to keep track of).

You'd need to either carry some propellant charges to screw onto the bottom of the hand grenade to turn it into a launched grenade (how the IJA did it), or have something like the Russian VG25 40mm caseless grenades, where the launching charge is pre-assembled onto the grenade (though VG25s are not hand-throwable at present).

inane.imp likes this.
  2. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Yeah, designing a grenade to be both hand throwable and launchable forces design compromises which undermine both purposes.

Given that the Grenade Launcher has stepped into the place occupied by Squad Light Mortars, and the significance of that role, I doubt that many would be enthusiastic to undermine that purpose just to add questionable utility in a secondary role.

inane.imp likes this.
  3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Applied phlebotomy / neomaterials makes it plausible in Infinity though.

Any rules issue that distinguishes the 2 types of Grenades in the RPG?

4. AdmiralJCJF

Oh, sure.

And, no, other than thrown (and the ability to be set up as a trap) they are identical.

inane.imp likes this.
  5. inane.imp

So you're LGL breaks due reason, you can just throw the Grenades instead?

6. AdmiralJCJF

Well, not strictly, but it's a reasonable extrapolation which you might make.

7. inane.imp

Yeah reading the rules [Ammo] Grenades are thrown, and LGLs fire Grenades. There's nothing explicit that they're distinct.

8. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

And for this I RULE in My Campaign that THEY are ALL of the same. . .

Even in "Backwater Ariadna" it will save a lot of issues to "Minute Ammo Count" that is counterproductive to the "Fast Paced Flow" of the Game. . .

Apart from Ariadnan Vintage Rifle (EXPLICITLY said to employ OLD styled Brass-Cased Ammunition as in our world) and Morat Weaponry (just because "Brazz Kazed Dakka Iz Moar Orky!!!") the other Guns Ammo "Float In An Uncertain Void". . .

As previously pointed by @AdmiralJCJF is very probably that Pan-Oceanian Hi-Tech Guns employ some weird "Nanoforge Ammo Fabricator-Replicator" that will "CREATE" on the spot the needed Shots until some "Hyperconcentrated Source Ore" is depleted OR the heavy energy source needed is expended (I think a Heavy Infantry Orc Powersuit could provide enough energy for this); notwithstanding the fact that the Pan-O Boarding Shotgun CLEARLY show, in Official Concept Art, the Slug Shells in the tiny window-slot of their signature, weird "Reverse Banana Clip" and their new Breaker Marksman Rifle and T2 Sniper Rifle (or whatever are the "Precision Long Guns" in the Locust Dossier) show a transparent clip with an Ammo Spring (something that exist and is logically sensate JUST in "Vintage Cased Reloads"). . .

But the Rules abstract a lot and make NO DISTINCTION if one Gunner Player Character armed with a Haqqislamite H.M.G. (that CLEARLY feature a R.W. Ammo Box and an Ejection Port for expelling Brass Casings) is taking the "Reloads" from a fallen foe employing a Yu-Jing Model (where the oversized, but short Banana Clip is THEORIZED to contain "Railgun Liquid-Metal Ammo" in those tiny bottles racked in the Clip Body). . . . .

inane.imp likes this.
  9. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

@Section9, amusingly, we haven't gotten very far from the methods you've described. Typically the MOLLE vest of a standard infantry guy these days is loaded down with M4 mags, an IFAK, an extra tourniquet, and other miscellaneous gear. The 40mm's for M203 guys are still usually carried on a bandolier or belt carrying 18 rounds. My units (USAF, so a little bit different than Army, but similar in function) carried 16 HEDP and 2 WP flares as the standard load. Most guys wore the bandolier as a belt below the MOLLE/armor vest.

I have seen some units using pouches on the vest but honestly it tends to really limit the amount of rifle mags you can carry then.

My units didn't really use hand grenades, so I'm not sure what the Army's SOP is on those these days. Probably someone else here who can chime in.

10. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

II remember rpgs where you could keep track of all the minutiae of combat, like ammo carried (per round and magazine).
    Games like Phoenix command or Twilight/Merc 2000.
    Gawd they were tedious.

Section9 and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  11. AdmiralJCJF

Yeah, I'm finding the resources rules a real boon.

Micromanaging incomes, expenditures and round counts isn't my idea of fun.

chromedog likes this.
  12. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I'd call them bordering on unplayable, honestly, especially Phoenix Command/Living Steel.

And who the hell wants to play Accounting&Armaments? blech.

Yes, keeping track of the shots fired is a very important skill for someone who shoots. Given how often cops lose track of shots fired and stuff, though. I'd just as soon run a game as, "If you fumble the attack your weapon is empty, spend next action to reload." And maybe add a "magazine dump rule to temporarily increase the rate of fire (or increase chance of hit, or increase chance of suppressing the target, something like that), but at the cost of emptying the magazine and needing to reload.

chromedog likes this.
  13. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

The best thing about PC/LS was the comments by Sgt Axly in the sidebars. "2-4-6-8 when outgunned, negotiate." and "If you have enough ammunition, you don't need to aim"

14. inane.imp

That's almost precisely the Infinity RPG system. Which I assume was your point.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation