1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oracle for Infinity

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Wolf, Apr 22, 2018.

Tags:
?

CB should provide ongoing, formal clarifications of Infinity rules in the style of Oracle for MTG

1. I wholeheartedly agree (and might add further or additional suggestions)

60.3%
  2. I somewhat agree (and might add provisos or alternative suggestions)

25.9%
  3. I somewhat disagree (and might provide relevant explanations or arguments)

6.9%
  4. I entirely disagree (and might provide relevant explanations or arguments)

5.2%
  5. I don't know what we're yelling about! https://youtu.be/amrTOsYa4sA

12.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

With a system as complex as Infinity, clear rules should be top priority, so I do agree that CB should invest more resources into releasing FAQs on a regular basis and make official ad-hoc rulings. If the hierarchy is as flat as IJW->Gutier, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Sanjuro, Abrilete, Wolf and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I followed that thread because I wanted to know what the ruling was, and its failure to resolve anything was the direct cause of this one.

It annoyed me that we don't have a definitive answer for something that - to me as a relatively inexperienced player anyway, seems pretty straightforward; and that as a consequence we had a bunch of usually-good contributors arguing with one another.

This is the sort of thing that would be resolved in short order if there were a process in place, and if we were to work on an unofficial solution, I'd think we could simply reflect any resolutions that are presented in any language.

ie. "Clarification of [disputed rule] cannot be obtained for [language name A]. However, in the [language name B] rulebook, the rules are clearly read as [reading B]"

It's useful to realize that it's not necessary for people to agree about everything - only to have a fixed point from which to work. Once you have that fixed position, players, clubs and Tournament Organizers are enabled to simply declare they're using one ruling or another.

Ginrei and xagroth like this.
  3. Wolf

@xagroth as an exercise for our interest, can you apply my suggestion about rules in different languages to the form that WoC use in Oracle for their cards? You'd need to provide notes for both the Engineer skill and the situation you guys were arguing about ...
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 19.10.56.png

4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

As much as IJW being a very good source for rules as written, an Oracle/Infernal system (O-12 Commissioner?) would mean interpreting rules so they function. IJW shouldering that job alone is not only a burden that CB would need to pay him for, but also would mean that you'd have a system where you'd lack the function of perspective that, just to name two additional people I'd trust with a role like this, Solkan and Toadchild would bring to the team.

I do not doubt that the job would for the most part consist of making interim decisions, considering the slow pace at which CB publishes FAQs (which have a tendency to neither answer frequent questions nor the most difficult questions). So for instance, they'd be making an interim decision for how Marksmanship LX should function when used through Nimbus until such a time as CB clarifies how they want it to work. Additionally, having more language skills (primarily Spanish) would be extremely good since the game is published in increasing number of languages and you'd sometimes need to keep track of what's localization issues.

So, ideally more people than just one person.

Wolf, xagroth and Knauf like this.
  5. Wolf

Oh, I like 'O-12 Commissioner'! How about something with 'Hexa'?

from Human Sphere Wiki

Hmmm, a legal, but barely tolerated group that don't even trust one another - sounds about right to me. Any better suggestions? :smile:

6. Mahtamori

Very Pan-O, something more neutral would work better. PP used their looming threat end-game-scenario for theirs, but you know, something people don't play or takes sides on.

Keyrott, Wolf and xagroth like this.
  7. Wolf

I think the idea of using interim rulings is very good; and our Swedish contingent thinks it's pragmatic*:
    It gives us a place to stand, and even if it's not exactly the same as the ultimate resolution, it's not often likely to be far wrong. I'd be very happy with knowing where we stand for 95% of disputed situations for the sake of 5% that get changed again later. How do people feel about CB's associates providing official interim rulings - especially given they might make rulings they don't like?

* so that's Japan, Australia and Sweden - the three most important countries right there! :wink:

8. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

The issues I see with this is, as much as I think Toadchild and Solkan do great work for the community, neither of them are infallible certainly not in a rules sense.

If they are asked to make rules determinations without gutiers help then we are basically back to what the current forums are, where rules are discussed until a "Consensus" is reached where the active and reasonably cooperative members of the forum come to a conclusion.

Bonus points if IJW weights into the debate.

But typically its the harder ones that require clear insight into the intention that cause the issues, and IJW gets that insight through discussions with Gutier in terms of translation. Toadchild and Solkan would have to be given that insight.

Finally, and this point very specifically is not directed at Solkan and Toadchild.
    IF Cb were inclined to take community members and use them in this manner, those community members would have to be upstanding, people who have been contributing for years to this hooby, with no questionable actions, videos or arguments made, no history within their local community or actions that may or may not have led them into disrepute such that the company should not allow them to represent them in any capacity, Basically the standards for entry into this club would have to be higher than even Warcors.

Basically they would have to be posters that the community could trust to forward on the arguments for and against issues to CB and back to the community without bias or a willingness to guide the direction of the argument for personal vindication.

#28 daboarder, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    inane.imp likes this.
  9. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Why exactly I am not involved in the rules?

10. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the posters who brought it up in the first place, but there's a general expectation of a delineation between someone moderating forums and people actually involved in development. It's an expectation cast through standards in video gaming and tabletop gaming.

You may be involved in playtesting and have an equal understanding of rules intent as IJW but merely the existence of the perception that it's not the case, regardless of how true it is or isn't, harms the idea of putting you in an official "rules adjudicator" type role I think.

oldGregg, xagroth and inane.imp like this.
  11. daboarder

Warcor

1) you arent, by your own admission, a CB employee
    2) IJW while not being a CB employee both helped translate the rules into english and has by his own admission been involved in the core working structure of those rules for N3.
    3) you certainly dont have IJW's reputation for understanding the rules or the implications thereof and being active about that knowledge in the rules threads.

12. daboarder

Warcor

If we are reccomending forum members, I've yet to see @Spleen make a rules mistake in about 3 years of playing. He doesnt have IJW's insight into the rules intention but he has the Rules as Written down pat.

Dragonstriker and inane.imp like this.
  13. Wolf

If you pick the right person, they might be able to offer a good explanation ... :grin:

[edit for clarity of humour]

#33 Wolf, Apr 23, 2018
  14. daboarder

Warcor

Hardly @Wolf .

I do my bit with tactics and primers, and running campaigns and tournaments in australia, I certainly would not want to put my hand up for what is being proposed here.

Are we going to keep this civil?

#34 daboarder, Apr 23, 2018
    xagroth likes this.
  15. psychoticstorm

These are some really weird assumptions!

1) Yes, neither me nor @ijw or many other in the playtesters and proofreaders are CB employees, what does been a CB employee exactly means?
    2) Likewise, so what is your point? should I start boasting that in many of the core rules you read I am involved, some may be even written by me?
    3) I do not know what does that mean, I was the FAQ retainer for 1st and second edition, I did not answer the N3 rules because @ijw did a great job and the forum has exploded in activity.

I do not understand why people who are involved in the rules and are credited for that need to provide street cred or be "CB employees" to be right on a ruling...

16. daboarder

Warcor

"shrug" you never struck me as involved in the rules storm, not in the way IJW is, outside of certain discussions of course.

As for reputation, I mentioned that because what is being proposed is community members stepping up with interim rules. Its hard enough getting people to accept @ijw rulings or statements on the intent of the rules sometimes, therefore I figured anyone on that "community" panel would want to have a certain standing in the rules subsection of the forum. Honestly if you want to argue with hecaton more....I mean I wouldnt want too

oldGregg likes this.
  17. psychoticstorm

Regardless we will hopefully have a better FAQ soon please keep the suggestions about it.

xagroth likes this.
  18. daboarder

Warcor

Yes I particularly like the other discussion we were having about it. And I believe we at least can all agree that more frequent FAQ support from CB is good for us all

xagroth likes this.
  19. Mahtamori

Depends on what you're asking. If you're asking for official ruling that will make it to the pdf eventually, then you're asking for a CB employee. What is asked for in this thread is a tribunal for settling rules disputes in liue of official answer.
    Theoretically they would also be filters for CB, answering the easier questions in official manner and passing on the harder, game-altering, stuff making the contact surface between community smaller and manageable for CB.

While I agree they need to be upstanding members, I do not think that infallible conduct is as important as being able to conduct themselves within a role. I.e. keep disagreements and discussion on one account and a different commissioner account to deliver verdicts that are concensus with the other commissioners.

20. dlfleetw

dlfleetw Well-Known Member

The last FAQ cycle was over 18 months long and it answered 7 questions, some of which were 2 years old.

Dedication to more frequent and timely FAQ that is known by the community at large (its been 6 months, new faq should be out soon what have you)

You don't have to tackle the mountain with TNT to take it down all at once but each shovel full does reduce it.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation