1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oni´s JSA/Tohaa (slow)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Oni, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Really nice work here.
    I love how you managed to work such dark schemes but keeping it readable with great contrast and hilight.
    The only remark I'd make is not about the paint job: I think that just cropping the pics would help the minis to shine even more.

Oni likes this.
  2. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Do you know a App on Android for doing that?

3. Koin-Koin

My Android phone includes the crop feature so never looked for a specific app for that.
    Beside I rarely post pics from the phone.

4. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Unfortunaterly i dont have a pc:sweat_smile:. I will have a look for one for the phone thank you.

5. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

And the next ones.

Lumii_20220228_203911085.jpg Lumii_20220228_204005357.jpg Lumii_20220228_204108037.jpg Lumii_20220228_204150579.jpg Lumii_20220228_203641513.jpg Lumii_20220228_203814308.jpg

I am super happy how they turned out.

Hope you like them.

6. Koin-Koin

I love your purple work.
    Cropping images was really worth the effort to me.

chromedog and Oni like this.
  7. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you for both the tip to cropp the pictures and your kind words.

Purple is actually super easy to blend, one reason more to Like it:sweat_smile:.

infyrana and Koin-Koin like this.
  8. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

Your wisdom is called upon :) I'd really like to hear which purple colours you've used to blend on these latest ones please?

9. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

It only contains two colours. A solid basecoat of VGC 72.015 Hexed Lichen and several thin glaces of VGC 72.014 Warlord Purple in the direction of the light source with each times smaler painted areas. The result i got is super easy to get. If you have any problems with that let me know am always happy to help.

#109 Oni, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    jherazob and infyrana like this.
  10. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

Thank you! I'll definitely give that a try, in the meantime I'll eagerly await your next update to your wonderful JSA :)

Oni likes this.
  11. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Great to finally see these JSA. You really are slow lol! Worth the wait though as you have done a fine job on my favorite JSA models :-0

Oni likes this.
  12. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Oni likes this.
  13. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you guys, im glad you like them.

I only can encourage you to do so. These colours pushed my ability to blend and glaze as they are so forgiving. Which improved my painting skills.

For new minis you will have to wait unfortunately. I am preparing to prime six minis. You should at least count with 4-5 weeks.:sweat_smile:

Thank you that means very much to me as you are, through all the great stuff here, my favourite painter here in the forums.

You cant say that i havent warned you :wink:. I am getting faster though, the Reex, Clipsos, Draal APMMR all Keisotsus and the last ones were painted since Christmas. Guess making yourself proper goals helps to get your ass from the couch and to the painting table:sweat_smile:.

I am sure your stuff will be great too. Your style and results may vary at first but every mini someone invested time and effort is something to be proud of.

If you want to get better you will be, just try new things and with every mini you will improve. It took me about 50 minis to get where i am now. Anybody can do it. My First ones were fugly.

I would be very interested to see your work. If you seek advice the forum is full of awesome painters that can and will give it to you.

archangeleong, infyrana and Koin-Koin like this.
  14. Koin-Koin

So much that.

Oni and Gwynbleidd like this.
  15. Gwynbleidd

You should have seen my first miniatures. Necrons they were. Simple and easy to paint… yeah they were blobs of silver. It does indeed take a lot of mini painting to hone your craft. I’m always looking for suggestions and tips from painters far more skilled, it’s always helpful to see how other painters tackle things.

I’ve posted a few of my armies on here under Kyrell Gaming. It’s mostly my panoceania stuff. My face paintwork has gotten so much better but the way you’ve painted those eyes on each of yours… I still have a little way to go. I’m most impressed by how clean your lines are and how smooth the transition highlighting seems to be (especially on the black parts of your minis!). I’m quite a way off such crisp clean lines on my Infinity miniatures, others (mainly plastic) I’ve had much better results. I can’t help but think that metal FEELS different to paint. Perhaps I’m just crazy though. I’ll try and find the threads and link them here unless you find them first.

Indeed. Any information from fellow painters on how something might be approached is always a good thing.

Oni likes this.
  16. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Ah the videos. Sorry i didnt recognize. Your Pano stuff is really nice. The overall Impression of your army is great. I wouldn't mind closer pictures of them though, from the video it is quite difficult to get all details. If you seek advice that would be my first go to, it will be much easier for the really good painters to help you out.

With the black throusers i cheated, my airbrush did most of the work here. No black witchcraft here:wink:.

Regarding the eyes. I always do the basecoat of the face first and do the eyes right after that. I always make an huge mess when painting the eyes but it is really easy to fix with the base colour. Afterwards you can highlight/shade the face as usual.

As for the lines. I am really bad at this:sweat_smile:. Most of the time i have to invest at least an hour to fix them on each mini. When the lines are modelled everthing is good but every time else it almost feels like unpayed work. But what helps is the adequately thinned paint. If the Paint flows properly from your brush half of the problem is already solved.

I havent painted a single 40k mini yet but the nice thing about Infinity is the awesome work the sculpteurs did. Most people are hesitant because of the detailed minis but i find it in fact easier to paint them because of the "guidance" the minis give you.

#116 Oni, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    infyrana and Gwynbleidd like this.
  17. Gwynbleidd

Thank you! I’m glad you like the overall theme of them. I’ll try and get some close up pictures of them done this weekend. If anyone could give me any extra tips after seeing them close up it’d be appreciated.

So with the black I need to practice more with my airbrush… lol. I’m still thinking dark magic here but I will endeavour to give it a go. Airbrushing fine work I mean, not dark magic. Haven’t got time for great old ones at the moment anyhow.

Thanks for the tip on the eyes, I’ll try your method instead. I usually end up doing them last and then the tidy up on the face can be a nightmare if I mess up.

Not that good at lines you say? Really? The ones on the minis above are immaculate. The amount of work you put in then must be tons. I’ll thin my paints further for the lines and keep trying to get them neater.

I’ve painted far too many 40K and GW minis. Far too many. Historical stuff too and I swear blindly that steel minis feel different under my brush when I paint them. Detail can be daunting, it’s true but from my perspective at least I think you are absolutely correct when you say that extra detail on the miniatures can help. I find that the more detailed the better as it lets you better define where the highlights and shadows need to go.

I look forward to seeing more of your work, I’ll post close ups of some of mine as soon as I take them.

Oni and infyrana like this.
  18. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to see your minis in detail. I am sure you will get usefull advice from the painters of the forum. Try different things and find out what works for you. Not everthing ist for everyone.

A further benefit of properly thinned paint ist that you can "erase" smaller mistakes you made with a damp brush for a short amount of time. It can save you some work of tiding up. I First thought that it will ruin the airbrush Work but i was so wrong and i am happy i can save time and work.

One more thing that made me speed are punctual oil washes. The blacklining of the Keisotsus white breast armors is solely made with that. You have to give the minis a good varnish first to avoid damaging your paintjob though. This is usually my last working step. The oil wash will go very smoothly in the recesses and everything that overspills usually can be removed with a damp q-tip or with some white spirits and a q-tip.

As already said, not everthing is good for everyone. But If you try new things you definitely find something that works for you and can save you some work.

Edit: If you try oil washes use old brushes. And dont lick your brush as the paints can be toxic. Almost forgot that.

#118 Oni, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    Gwynbleidd likes this.
  19. I like the way you paint...
    How to say it?...
    Clean and elegant.

Golem2God and Oni like this.
  20. Gwynbleidd

I will get my minis up asap! Thanks for the advice given. I’ll have to give oil washes a try, they sound quite useful. I’ll be certain not to lick the brush afterwards!

Oni likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation