1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once more: painting MAS MDF terrain

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Varsovian, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Alright, did some spray-painting last weekend... I used "universal enamel" spray. Here are the results:

subway10.jpg subway9.jpg

I did some tests and the resulting surface is nice to paint on using Vallejo's acrylics... That said, spray-painting isn't fun: way too uncontrollable for me. And you end up breathing in paint, ugh.

BTW. When I did the painting tests, I'm unable to avoid covering the black lines... Maybe I'll just let it go and paint them over. I guess there is a method to leave these grooves black, but it's not my level on skill...

Question: any advice how to paint good-looking Chinese or Japanese script for the subway station's name?

SupersexyJohn and jherazob like this.
  2. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

jherazob likes this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Absolutely wear a mask for spray painting!!!

All kanji has a specific stroke order, and if you don't get the stroke order correct it won't look right.

jherazob and chromedog like this.
  4. Varsovian

Oh... I was told by guys in my painting group on FB that it's not really necessary :(

So, what did I do to myself? Did I just give myself cancer or shortened my life by X years..?

I was more thinking of the industrial-style script like this:

[​IMG]

5. Section9

As long as you didn't spray anything with fun metals in it like Cadmium (which isn't in rattlecans but may be in other paints), you're probably fine, going to have some funny-colored coughing the next time you're sick.

The single-exposure quantities for paint solids causing issues are high enough that you probably would have passed out from the fumes first.

For industrial script, I think you want Mincho font installed, print bold and about 24 size, then cut it out. Do you know what you want the name of the place to be? My Japanese is really rusty, but I think @Wolf is still in Japan and can help.

6. Varsovian

Checked the paint... okay, no cadmium etc. Phew.

I admit I don't speak Japanese at all and have no idea about names of places... If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

BTW. I could also go with a Chinese or Korean script... As long as it's Asian. It's just that I have a few of Antenocitis' buildings and the whole table is going to have a rather Asian feel.

Not sure of the language here, for example:

[​IMG]

Is it in Chinese or Japanese?

Golem2God, jherazob and SupersexyJohn like this.
  7. Section9

Given the English, it's probably Japanese. There is some difference between the two, Taiwan never simplified the kanji, Japan simplified the kanji in the late 1800 or early 1900s, and the PRC simplified the kanji in ~1950 or so. And the PRC did not use the same simplifications that the Japanese did, of course.

8. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

More like maybe a few hours or so. You'd have to do it for a prolonged period unless, as section 9 said, you were spraying some really funky cadmium or chrome pigments (although chromium is more of a danger when in the poly and hexavalent forms when it's more readily aspirated - and will give you lung cancer. It's "electroplaters disease" and on the risk tables, smoking 2 packs a day is "no risk" compared to it).
    You will cough funny coloured crap next time you get a cold and your lungs want to purge the crap is all. Just remember to mask up next time.

I worked around Dangerous goods for several years. After the first day, PPE became something I didn't have to think about anymore. I just do it.

#28 chromedog, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Varsovian and jherazob like this.
  9. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

I'm sorry but you have an irreversible coma now.

jherazob and Varsovian like this.
  10. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

My Chinese and Japanese classes were some time ago, but that doesn't look Japanese to me. I don't remember these symbols at all. So I'm leaning toward Chinese.

jherazob and Golem2God like this.
  11. Varsovian

I guess that's why I've been so sleepy all this week ;)

Anyway, I'll try painting these subway entrances today... Still could use any / all advice on the script, as well as preserving the black lines. Help appreciated :)

jherazob likes this.
  12. Section9

Do you have a preference on what you want the signage to say?

13. Varsovian

Just some sort of subway station name - a real or fictional location, preferrably in China?

A technical question: you guys advised printing the text and cutting it out... Did you mean making some sort of stencil, or just cutting out paper kanji and glueing them onto the sign?

14. Section9

I meant stencils, but a lot of Kanji is hard to stencil due to squares and lines inside the square.

Just a quickie, I just Google Translated "East City Subway Station" into Chinese and got "东城地铁站" (Dōngchéng dìtiě zhàn). General stroke order is top to bottom, left to right. The 'square' at the bottom of the last character has the bottom line written last.

jherazob and SupersexyJohn like this.
  15. Varsovian

I've Googled some photos of Chinese subway stations, like this one:

[​IMG]

From what I see, only the kanji for "station" is used on the signs... So, it seems like you can have a sign only with four kanji :) That simplies matters a little...

Do you guys know a font for such industrial-style kanji? I seem to have a Chinese font on my PC, but it's a caligraphy-style font...

jherazob likes this.
  16. SupersexyJohn

SupersexyJohn Well-Known Member

I have been watching this thread to steal ideas... I am mad that google translate didn't pop into my head!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation