1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] New plastic resin miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Feb 28, 2023.

1. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

This is literally why I and others kept on saying “I’ll wait and see what the tournament pack models look like”.

jherazob and UpirLihi like this.
  2. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Pleasantly surprised with this new material, this is what Siocast should have been.

3. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

I wonder if the switch/test with this new one isn't because siocast disappointed and CB needs to change plans again in the near future.

Daireann and UpirLihi like this.
  4. Daireann

Daireann Well-Known Member

I think the same way. And I am a little worried to see s2 miniature in new material.

Lady Numiria likes this.
  5. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Here is a review of Unicool's new plastic, on spanish cargad's blog, he says the same thing as Graviton, so it confirms things and he has better pictures :
    VO: https://cargad.com/index.php/2023/0...ano-la-nueva-resina-plastica-de-corvus-belli/

Some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#105 Wizzy, Mar 15, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  6. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

In terms of text - nothing too different. Which is not a bad thing, the two reviewers disagreeing on everything would suck. Now let's nitpick the images, because I have time this lovely evening.

upload_2023-3-15_22-31-3.png

What do we see here - clean hexagons and clean indentations in the sword. Siocast had problems with those and they are difficult problems to deal with on any material, carving stuff out is not fun. The weapons also have nice straight and narrow groves. Both on flat and circular surfaces. On the other hand - we see something weird on the tactical thingamajig, where the grate and those cables or whatever are. Maybe deformations from the casting process, maybe it was intended to look like that.

upload_2023-3-15_22-38-37.png

Nice thin edge on the sword it seems. Much better than the oddly thick blade of new McMurrough. We also see a mold line on the hand. This should clear nicely, if the material is indeed harder than siocast and doesn't burr. Shouldn't be an issue.

upload_2023-3-15_22-43-30.png

Yep, this grate with the cables does look a bit scuffed. There's also roughening on the surface of this thigh, maybe from some bubbles? Not sure. The visibility when painted and the ease of cleaning or fixing with green stuff remains to be seen. We've seen similar things on siocast and GW's resin.

upload_2023-3-15_22-48-48.png

The tailcoat has a visible moldline. Not a problem, just reminder that they exist even if the reviewers did not see them. The tactical cable box has some minor imperfections, which should be easily dealt with, by just using a knife or sanding stick. More serious issues can be seen on the hexagonal objects on the back and the elbow. Rough and unclean edges, that may or may not be a problem, depending on how this material behaves, when met with a file.

upload_2023-3-15_22-54-51.png

Ayyar looking good. I feel like the details on him are deeper cut than on the metal ayyar, but this is just feeling. Some minor things to clean on shoulder plate. Should not be a problem. Holes looking clean, which is good. Tactical thingamabob seems a bit melted and deformed on the underside. Not sure if intentional.

upload_2023-3-15_22-58-41.png

Yep, tactical thingamabob is indeed a bit deformed. Also, clearer view on the stuff that needs to be cleaned off the shoulderplace. On the plus side - the belt on the cloak is very impressive, it has texture on it. Cloak has some specs here and there on it, they should be easy to deal with.

Attached Files:

Wizzy, Camo Token and jherazob like this.
  7. Camo Token

Camo Token Well-Known Member

If this material doesn't burr from scraping / filing and instead behaves more resin-like, this could be the first alternative getting anywhere close to metal. It definitely doesn't look like PVC. It'd have to be some kind of next-gen PVC, well above any other PVC mini on the market, best of CMON beauties included. And CMON achieves stuff like this, mind you.

[​IMG]

8. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

A better translation would be "i will not mind some products in this material instead of metal". Saying "happy with A" followed by "do not want A" sounds weird.

Because over and over people compare surfaces before priming, and the optical properties of the surface can give different impressions. Apply the same opaque coating, and the you can check shapes.

9. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

I can compare both prior to coating, since I worked on an old ayyar relatively recently. But again - no way to know for sure based on pictures

10. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

New review by ThatMrShy channel.

Corvus Belli Sent Me this INSANE Care Package - Prototypes, Pre-Release Models and a New Material!?

11. Daireann

Ok, good. Still looks like step back, but bearable, if it would be as hard as plastic. Or so.

But CB should do better assemble design for this.
    Because it looked too weird for me to heat details to bend them.
    Which temperature, would not it be melted during our +35...+40 summer? Would it keep details after it?

Plus, I am a little worried about figures with one rifle in two hands. There are three points that should fit each other (sorry for this discription. I just mean, when figure keep rifle with both hands)...
    With metal I can bent the hands and find the right position before glueing.
    But I am not ready for this to heat plastic and trying to make it take a right place. (Plus worries above)

#111 Daireann, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  12. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I don't hate the new sculpts, but they don't do anything for me.

I've got the other Maruts TAG they did (the other SioCast one), can't see myself needing a second ... as it is, I modified that one anyway - the gun muzzle cluster makes no sense (the bullets can't take a straight line between chamber and muzzle) and the sword has a habit of catching everything with eleventy sticky-outy bits on it - so both got altered. The new version offers me nothing the old one doesn't already - and that it's only available in an ITS pack doubles its lack of utility for me.

I only have QK, so can't use the Ayyar anyway, regardless of how good the sculpt might be.

#112 chromedog, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  13. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

For your information, the WIP12 podcast has just released a podcast about this subject.

Podcast WIP12: E101: New Newer Plastic Models!

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/wip12podcast/episodes/E101-New-Newer-Plastic-Models-e20s1kk

jherazob likes this.
  14. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I'm a metal fan.
    I'm also a fan of a CB's metal - I love the miniatures, don't have anything against them, I can convert them, I like painting them, they're great. Prefer them over plastic.
    But after seeing the photos of the new AyyaR I had to get her, so I did, and...
    She's a beauty. Great, delicate sculpt, crispy details, even better than some metal ones. Really glad I bought her!

PozdRawiam / Greetings

P.S. As I hate Aleff, there won't be any word about the big guy here :P

Attached Files:

15. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

Feel free to send me the big chonky Robot :D that Ayyar looks great indeed.

Abrilete likes this.
  16. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

New video from The Dice Abide, who made a comparison of the metal Hassassin with the plastic Hassassin.

Late Night Wargames - Episode Jon-117: The Competitive Mind

Gallery:

bladerunner_35 and jherazob like this.
  17. Deus Kalsa

Deus Kalsa Member

First: There ist nothing like next gen PVC, PVC is PVC. You can donate additives to it to change some attributes. But mostly it is a trade off, stiffer you lose long term durability. Softer it got more Toxic (the softener makes your little swimmers become lazy) and so on. There is a reason why some additives are band in most countries.

2nd: CMON tricks you, the Picture so show was a resin master not the (really good, but not so good) release Mini.

----

To the PVC Minis I got mine, the details are quite good, but not better then siocast. I wish metal back but I understood the reasons. And if I was forced to choose Siocast Hard over PVC on all circumstances

Abrilete and Daireann like this.
  18. Daireann

This is one of the moments that makes me struggle. After the toxiсity.

19. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Last videos of the weekend.

---------------------

The German channel Diced made a comparison like The Dice Abide, but for the Marut, between the Siocast version and the Unicool version.

Schon wieder neues Plastik? | MEINE MEINUNG | Corvus Belli | DICED

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

---------------------

A video about the new plastic by Infinity Gamer, with a comparison.

Corvus Belli new resin PVC review

---------------------------------

Infos from QéA of bostria

Corvus Belli Adepticon Seminar 23 4K

Plastic
    - GW plastic is very expensive for Corvus Belli, and they don't have the sales quantities to support this investment, so they are looking for alternative methods that they are testing such as siocast and unicool.
    CB is not willing to produce everything at Unicool because they are afraid of the future and as a precaution they want to continue to manage everything from home, which has allowed them to survive for 2 decades.

-----------------------------------

GMG Reviews - Unicool Infinity Miniatures by Corvus

#119 Wizzy, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  20. Camo Token

Camo Token Well-Known Member

Looks like ridiculously easy of a choice - if we can't get metal, then Unicool, all the way. Siocast looks horrible even at that zoom level.

UpirLihi and Lady Numiria like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation