1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I use my go-to rattlecans for undercoating.
    It's only the rest of the painting that gets done with acrylics. Vehicles get done with my airbrush, but Infinity doesn't really have anything large enough to justify using it (at my current skill level. Once upon a time, I could sign my name with my airbrush, but that was over 25 years ago.)

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  2. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

It's not butyl acetate. Nylon has good chemical compatibility with it and I've soaked siocast in ethyl and butyl acetate mixture - no significant degradation for 48 hours in it.

Daireann and Gwynbleidd like this.
  3. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

Regular acetone was "melting" siocast parts from the ITS objectives. It was this lightgrey bendy kind of siocast. Isopropanol didn't affect siocast, at least within the limited time I tested it for.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  4. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Yes, I looked at the can and it’s quite old now, it’s lost its ability to spray (wasn’t about to use it again anyways) and the newer rattle cans have switched to n-butyl-acetate as you said.

Same here with respect to using my rattle cans. I’ll break out the airbrush for larger pieces and for zenithal highlighting when I feel fancy but currently I swear on my Hycote primer. It’s cheap and gives incredible coverage.

Nothing out of the ordinary nor noteworthy? Disappointing but also interesting. Perhaps something to do with the chemical makeup of these particular siocasts then? Though for the life of me I can’t conceive what could be significantly different.

Also interesting. I cleaned fiddlers jackbots in an acetone mix and they were fine. Perhaps I used a lower content of acetone mix.

Thanks to those who’ve tested parts. I’m certainly interested in any other results that come about. I’m not sure we’ll necessarily find out exactly what might be going on vis a vis primers vs siocast but it’s still intriguing.

5. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

Nothing. Tell you what - get the tab or some flash from that miniature and put GW's plastic glue (which is technically a solvent) on it. The "glue" contains n-butyl-acetate and you will check if it has any impact.

chromedog likes this.
  6. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

I got my replacement parts for the Roadbot and they are much better. The delay wasn't great but at least it's fixed. The material seems to be different, it's a darker grey.

burlesford and ChrisCenobite like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation