1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Metal.

chromedog likes this.
  2. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Isn’t the ITS Sargosh the only S2 Siocast mini? And even then he’s pushing S5/6.

chromedog likes this.
  3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

ITS Sargosh is the only S2 Infantry miniature released in Siocast.

chromedog and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  4. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

The Jackbots are S1 but they were also siocast.

5. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

All in all, different material, and warranting different tools. But I find it absolutely workable.

One issue, though: CB, please keep in mind that sanding sticks tend to be bulkier than files. Meaning, getting with them into all the nooks and crannies of a model that need sanding is difficult. It would be really nice if the parts were made in a way that minimizes the chance of mold separation / flash / injection points turning up where thay can't ce comfortably reached.

Also, on a side note, I'd very much appreciate models that can be assembled, then painted, without requiring circus acrobatics: I've just finished a Hassassin Shujae, and several places on the fully-assembled model were difficult to reach. Same with Sunduqbut. I have a Gator awaiting assebly, and I already see it will have the same problme (not to mention, that model is composed of way too many parts. Size errors are already accumulating in its torso, which will result in a less-than-perfect fit).

Gwynbleidd and chromedog like this.
  6. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

Great suggestions, Errhile, but they mean a lot of limitations in detail and poses. And detail is one of the best selling points of CB miniatures

7. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

Eeeehhhh.....tbh, it feels like they are getting worse overall from their high point, and other manufacturers are catching up or surpassing in a lot of ways.

Modock likes this.
  8. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I trim my sanding boards down to size for this reason (mine are designed as fingernail shaping tools - so tend to be about 10-12mm wide - I just cut them down to 3-4mm wide with a steel rule and sharp stanley knife.).

I've worked in props and FX in Oz, there were many times we couldn't *get* the right tools so we just made something that did the job.

Gwynbleidd and Mob of Blondes like this.
  9. Errhile

Well, that gives you the specific experience I lack :)

Once the local hobby store opened, I got myself some sanding foams from Green Stuff World. Sinilar ocncept, but on a strip of fine foam, so 1. you can bend it, 2. you can cut it to size (actually they are intended to be cut to size).
    I need to get myself a more coars one, apart from that, seems to be the right tool for the job :)

Y'know, at times I have a feel they CB models went too far with their detailing for my taste.

I like to work on a model with less detail from time to time - I had, over the years, used a number of old Grenadier Future Warriors (some of the models were cast by em4 Miniatures, some by Mirliton in recent years) models as my Infinity proxies. Quick, easy, relaxing paintjob, and you can spend as little or as much time and effort detailing the surface of a garment as you like. Maybe even freehand something.
    But I've been called a dinosaur before ;)

10. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Not alone, with @maru makes three. There can be too much detail. IMO it's one of the issues with the 3D workflow in use, losing the sense of how it will become in reality. IIRC they had to fix one of the busts or big models (in KS) as screen and physical are different, while old putty sculpting gives you the immediate feedback as you model. Other brand seems to love skulls, purity seals or rivets, CB is dangeously slipping into it with some cliches, eg straps, multi layering, or latelly "tin can piggy banks".

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  11. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

Detail and visual clutter are two very different things. A woman with an impressively sculpted face and a gorgeous flowing robe can be highly detailed and extremely realistic, but also - completely lacking any obstructing accessories such as tin can piggy banks and tactical rocks.

While many old GW models are chock full of skulls and scrolls and spikes and what not, but the fineness of detail is such that you very often cannot distinguish what's a knob on the bolter and what's a teeny tiny skull.

Errhile likes this.
  12. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Same tbh. I think it’s the same minis I had issues with too. At least it’s not like the days of yore when Infinity minis went together in such a way that they induced a berserker rate.

You’re far braver than I. You worked in Oz? Where there are literal tyranids? Where even the cute fuzzy animals try to kill you? I’m impressed you had time to put minis together. Certainly agree though that sometimes you have to make the tool you need.

As a fellow dinosaur I definitely agree here, especially when I’m painting a large number or even just some historical stuff. Sometimes you just want a simple mini that you can get painted quickly and it’ll look good as is or great if work is put in.

On the subject of the thermocast itself, I’ve found it quite workable too. I tend to use my exacto blades and dremmel tool to clean up the flash but as @Errhile noted, the flash can be in difficult areas and spots.

13. Errhile

He lives there.
    So he had to, obviously, learn to deal with them dropbears and other Little Fuzzy Animals - or he wouldn't be talking to us nowadays :P

Stiopa and chromedog like this.
  14. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

As Errhile noted, I LIVE here.

Other countries have mythologies like "Tyranid in the cupboard" - we have "Australia". Where "not everything will kill you, but even the ones that can't are still going to give it a damned good go". GW modelled the famed "Deathworld" Catachan* on Australia, but faced with the idea that nobody would believe such a place could exist, ran it through a disney filter to make it so that Catachan was slightly less deadly than Australia IS.

*They actually modelled it off the 3 "Deathworld" novels by Harry Harrison, starting with the world Pyrrus (where every lifeform, plant AND animal, actively tries to kill humans, constantly). Harry Harrison also visited Australia as preparation for writing those books. :D

15. Sanvi

Sanvi Active Member

Don't know if helps... But I'm quite happy with my siocast McMurrough. Easy to work on it, perfect details. Nothing bad to say about it.

16. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

I have no doubt he did. Everything in the animal/insect/invertebrate/arachnid etc kingdom that I fear lives in your country. It’s a shame as from the photos I’ve seen from my grandparents and elsewhere, it’s a very pretty country. But I draw the line at spiders and Australia has them ALL. Perhaps if humanity invents holtzman shields I’d consider visiting… My congratulations on your ability to survive in such a place let alone wargame. Perhaps God created Australia to train the faithful?

But I digress as I’m taking the thread off topic…

Good to hear! I decided to stick with my metal version as I prefer the pose but the siocast one was tempting as it’s quite nice too. It’s good that there were no issues. I would have expected some with the sword if anything.

chromedog likes this.
  17. Shyvax

Shyvax Active Member

Is there any plan for Corvus Belli to release S2 models in Siocast? I have not seen ITS Sargosh, but I am very curious to see what it looks like. Is the level of details same as metal cast?

We were having a debate yesterday at my LGS. I am pro plastic (HIP or equivalent.... I think Siocast is very interesting, promising, but not yet there).

I know that I would welcome starter set in plastic, as for me the main draw back of metal is the chipping. No amount of varnish and/or care can prevent the accidental fall or contact between 2 models while playing the game, resulting in chipping.

That being said, I realise that it is a highly unpopular view amongst Infinity players.... but for me at least, it is the future.

18. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

@Shyvax - you can see a test Siocast model - Stephen Rao - in the video here, about 1:39
    https://infinitytheuniverse.com/blog/injected-thermoplastic

As for now we don't know anything about plans for making S2 models in Siocast. I personally prefer metal - always had and don't see any signs of change in near future. Even though I play Infinity for over 10 years I didn't have many problems with chipped paint. Gloss varnish for protection, than matt varnish, and taking care of miniatures - that's my way of dealing with that :)

PozdRawiam / Greetings

19. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Check the Warcrow section. All models for Warcrow will be in plastic materiel. China PVC for Kickstarter, in-house Siocast for the future game.

Aristeia models (the last expansions, not the core box ones) are in the same PVC as the Kickstarter model will be.

toadchild and Shyvax like this.
  20. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Yedharo has a bunch of S2-sized models in siocast; their lead sculptor is Fausto, who did the N3 era Morats, the Chaksa models, and probably some other random stuff. I grabbed some siocast from them when the Infinity announcement was first made, just to try out the new material. It also looks like they’ve switched their production to the new harder version, so I may want to order another few test models.

Dragonstriker and Shyvax like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation