1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

Thanks to Mayacast, really useful video! <3 Kind of what I thought before; siocast is an understandable change from a business perspective, but it will come with some downsides that aren't factored into the price, and so will 'feel' like a negative to a lot of players who are spoiled with CB's current great product...

Pierzasty, Daireann, Ugin and 3 others like this.
  2. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

One is a diamond file, and the other looks the same; those sand in all directions.

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

So it was. I just heard "needle file" when I watched. Even worse, since a diamond file works much like sandpaper, and let's see, a fine diamond needle file clocks in at 600 grit in most cases. A bit coarse for the material used.
    ----------------------------------
    Given how cheap disposable razors are, at least in the US. It is possible to dismantle a few to get at the blades, and carefully use then for cleaning. Don't do this if you have questionable manual dexterity. Use Men's razors. Women's razors are not as sharp last I heard.

4. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Just finished painting my Vostok. So far the paint sticks to bent parts without cracking.
    Vosti.jpg

#344 Tristan228, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    ETEA, MadeofScars85, Zewrath and 26 others like this.
  5. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 06.36.20.jpg

You rascal you! I love it, looks great.

6. Tristan228

Warcor

I see what I did there :sweat_smile:
    Well, since I'm not opposed to the new material I didn't (and don't) consider the switch to polyamide as a bitter pill to swallow.
    It was mainly driven by the shape of the Vostok's "canopy" and the way how it competes with Kusanagi in Bakunin.
    Vosti v oben.jpg

Oh an here's also a before and after painting picture of that already discussed part between the "canopy" and the "jaw"
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Hello people in this thread,

I see some questions in the last pages, but unfortunately they arrived late for this Studio Updated (as it was recorded past week). Anyway, we'll continue answering and collecting them for upcoming videos, so don't feel sad if tomorrow's video doesn't contains all the questions you can imagine. We answered the most common ones, but we'll continue collecting questions and answering in the next Studio Updates :)

Thank you!

8. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

Maybe giving us a deadline would have been nice. Since we prioritized figuring out what we can from the promo packages and mining salt to the actual questioning.

9. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

There is no need for a deadline because the feedback cannot end in this video, and we don't publish this video an stop talking of the plastic :sweat_smile:

We'll continue talking about this, even after the official release of the product :)

10. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Yikes :(

[​IMG]

AmPm likes this.
  11. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

So I guess this is what they meant when they said it doesn't work well with files.

@Tristan228 did you sand it with fine grain paper as well to smoothen it out?

12. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I do not think this will temporarily change the material properties significantly to have the effect of making it similar to working with metal.

#352 psychoticstorm, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  13. Tristan228

Warcor

You mean the flat part in the fuselage? No I just filed it further with the fine side of my file (an old metal nailfile) in an different angle which smoothed it out pretty well.

14. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Any chance you can answer some of the ones you missed here? I think more information sooner is a good idea vs. letting things stew until the next video.

Hecaton, UpirLihi and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  15. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

There have to be some issues with the mold, other parts are crisp, and while I am not a fan of the material change they need to fix this for people that will buy it.

16. Muad'dib

Muad'dib Well-Known Member

This is correct, nylon is already below its glass transition temperature at room temperature so further cooling it (short of liquid nitrogen) will not produce a meaningful change in properties. The rough filed surface is not due to the plastic melting - rather it is due to the high abrasion resistance of nylon polymers. As CB recommended, cutting and fine sandpaper will yield a much better surface finish. A wet sanding technique is ideal to reduce surface scratches.

17. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I haven't done anything on this yet but I've found on similar that super fine flexible sanding files work great. They should be so fine that it almost feels like there's not grit at all. A step or two above a polishing file. I really like the FLEX-I-FILE brand because they have the files with a great shape for getting into the areas.

18. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Well, the typical method is to start rough so it goes fast first, then increase the grit to achieve smoothness (and also combinining with putty or sandable primer). You can go all the way to smooth with super fine tools, but it will take longer and wear the tools unnecessarily.

Just an accident while shaving.

Nuada Airgetlam and chromedog like this.
  19. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

Do you have any intention of cleaning up the mold? A lot of details are off, there's clearly an issue.

UpirLihi and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  20. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation