1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomads in N4

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by psychoticstorm, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

I did same. My head fluff is that all my armies are actually mercenaries from different factions who share a central motor pool of REMs.

infyrana likes this.
  2. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

After reading about Nomad TAGs in RPG book can't shake the thought how awesome customizable TAGs could be. Imagine having multiple Lizard or Anaconda loadouts with somewat similar weapons, but different stats or skills/equipment? Or a similar to spec-ops 12xp builder?

Del S likes this.
  3. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

So boys, I had the pleasure of playing against my first ever Squalo last week. Mission was Frostbyte so I couldn't deploy up to the half way line to deter him being in 0 range for the Grenade launcher. guys pumping shots on corners at a 15 and anywhere else on a 9 which is over the odds of my dodges due to a fairly consistently low PH I had.

Question is what could be done to hinder this sort of crazy arse stuff in the future. We play on super dense boards so his path to the middle was clear as day.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  4. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Suicide heckler with fastpanda or a linked rem to plop repeater near him? And then hack/POS it or target for guided missile.

Brokenwolf and Gwynbleidd like this.
  5. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Hmm. Lower the density of the board set up so that more lines of fire can be created. This should create choices of where your opponent can set up and where you can then deploy to avoid the fire lanes/aro his. He can’t be in two places at once and if his squalo is on one side and he’s set up something else along one of the other fire lanes (hopefully something squishier) you should be able to deal with one of the threats or at least make it so he needs to think about how he’s going to engage you. Look at how the boards are set up in the N4 book.

I’d also need to know more about your list to make more suggestions on what to take to mitigate this. If any experienced nomad players have suggestions here please chime in. Unfortunately though, this mission is excellent for what you experienced and can be a pain to deal with once someone gets into a good position.

6. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

7. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

I haven't been playing much lately, so take my opinion with a grain of salt:
    - Puppetbots are your only attack piece? I'd say you are a bit low on firepower. You really need some kind of a beatspick (Lizard/Szally/Gecko/Kriza/Intruder with smoke). Perseus is a good beat stick too.
    - Puppet Master Hacker makes him vulnurable to enemy hacking. And if he dies bots turn off . I'd swap him for minelayer or regular.
    - Interventor is not doing much, Jazz covers all she can do. Do you really need her?
    - Salyut isn't doing much either. He can only give assisted fire to TRbot and it's kinda so-so since it won't get shock. You might consider getting Vostok or Spitfire Tsyklon to get more benefit from it.
    - Liberto SMG is kinda weak. I'd swap that for minelayer of another morlock/jaguar
    - Clockmaker can be swapped for Monstrucker (cheaper) or Tomcat (Airborn).
    - Daktari can be swapped for a paramedic. You usually won't get enough orders to reliably run and heal with doctor.
    - Some Krakots/Diggers would be great to stop enemy CC users
    - Two morans are a bit much. One of them could be in camo. And there's a massive exclusion zone in the middle, you are not benefiting from infiltration at all
    - Could add more broken stuff like cheap biker hunter or tagraid units.

Elric of Grans and Brokenwolf like this.
  8. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

If you are critical of your terrain, the best thing to to by far is to post a table pic so we can see it and let you know if it seems to be way off from the 'usual' range of tables, whatever that means.

But yeah, if your boards are "super dense" then you are going to encounter strategies and compositions that are way off the charts in strength and very difficult to counter. So if your table is a) an invisible path to the center and b) exclusion zones then the unfortunate outcome is that the Squalo cannot be prevented from doing its thing.

I remember going through a teething process when I was new and transitioning to boards that were more open, and I feel that the end result was better games. I also felt that dense city boards and repeater Morans was a crutch that warped my perception of list building and the game, and if that is how your tables are set up, the best thing to do as a Nomads player is to play some games without one or the other. You might find that like me your defense fell apart without hard to stop repeaters in the top of high towers all over the table, and so make some changes.

When I look at the list, I have a few questions.
    • Whats the heckler for? Are you getting your money's worth from him? They play absurdly well into GML strategies and that might be worth considering especially on dense boards
    • Do you need three hackers for your Moran net? I ran that for a long time - Jazz, Mary, Moderator - and it is certainly viable, but it is also a heavy focus into one capability at the cost of others. At the very least, an exclusion zone list with less emphasis on the Morans and hackers is a good idea
    • What is specific hacker composition you are running giving you? Jazz is a stupid no brainer, but the Interventor is expensive or could be Mary Problems who is scarier on active turn. The Puppet Master is a vulnerability tied to your strongest fighting unit and not all that effective. He also means forfeiting the mine which is a really, really strong defensive option
    • Does 40 points of doctors and engineers add anything to this list? Is there anything you really care about picking back up? Maybe the TR bot but how often are you going to Doctor these other models or repair a puppetbot?
    • Have you tried two puppets rather than three? A lot of people consider two to be the sweet spot. Personally I take three only if I have spare points (it happens!) or for zone control maps to push another 12 points into an area, or another body onto a power pack or something. In particular is it necessary to take a 1.5SWC red fury on these guys? Its a nice gun, but it is expensive and Nomads loves its SWC
    • You have the wrong Libertos. There is no Libertos other than the minelayer. You must make space for the minelayer. Any other approach is incorrect. This is the one truth of Infinity and you must embrace it.
    • For dense maps, even more than usual a Chimera pack is nuts. I use mine for defense or attacking the midfield, but it can be used as an aggressive choice that can often choose and delete a model. It is a really solid option to attack a TAG with, though the Chimera herself is pretty bombable.
    • The Brigada LT is a really iffy choice IMO. He is harder to bomb, but he is also a guarenteed LoL target. That is really tempting to bomb. He is also only marginally more resilient against most assassination options. As much as I dislike two Moderators I've found that to be a way better LT approach. Against the bomber in particular I'd consider even three Moderators.
    Here is a list I have been running for approx 15 games (including earlier refinements). Seems to work well and was geared for Frostbyte along with some other zone missions and kill missions. You might find things on it you like, or maybe not, but its worth considering some other lists!

https://infinitytheuniverse.com/arm...EAACBpQEEAACBpQEEAACERwEBAACBqgECAAMBAIYeAQQA

The idea was that the list can leverage the absurd Heckler fastpanda to deliver GML almost unstoppably. I could pick a vital target, bomb it, and thats most of my necessary fighting done. The rest of the time was a focus on defense, small scale attacks with a Vostok or Chimeras or what not, and particularly objectives.

9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

That's playing without the 15 order cap though, isn't it?

10. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

I thought the same, but didn't it count ok if you take into account the bots? I was more curious about a third group.

11. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Third group is where I put the free ITS biker for ITS biker missions. Helps clarify that this is not a regular addition to the army.

The list is not breaking the 15 order cap. Nomads easily breach 15 models using various peripherals. I do this here mostly to chaff up incoming attacks since I seem to run into endless bearpodes lol

infyrana likes this.
  12. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Yes, my mistake. I didn't see the peripherals.

13. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

I'd go the other way, super-dense board says "hacker game" to me. Setup a repeater net with the Morans and bots (and pitchers and fastpandas...) as fast as possible. Then wherever the Squalo (or anything else) goes it gets hacked into dust. Maybe add a missile bot to spotlight and ignore all that cover...

14. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Just remember that Squalos now have some defense against hacking in N4. With Fairy Dust, they will be -6 (-3 for ECM and -3 fairy Dust) to hack and have a modified BTS of 9. Plus they also have ECM(-6) for guided attacks. Sure, they can be taken, but dedicate orders for it.

theomc likes this.
  15. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

when people start heavily stacking anti hacking measures is when you switch to an FO to target them (drop a Hellcat behind them). and while you'll be hitting them with missiles on 12's theyre dodging on significantly worse. Or if they have a friend B2B to prevent grand theft TAG shenanigans just target and missile them then none of the countermeasures will mean anything.

Morray likes this.
  16. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

The Hellcats cannot be an FO. Paramedic, but I do not think the Medikit is going to help much here. Bandit, Zero, Spektr, Moran; they are your up-field FOs.

17. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

You are correct, dont know why I thought they had one. but concept still applies to the camo ones, just with more orders needed.

Though the BSG Meteor is a viable option.

18. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

My understanding was that the issue was the Squalo doing this turn one on boards with exclusion zones.

Eliminate either the T1 or exclusion zone and there are tons of ways to deal with him. Denser the better at that point.

19. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Thanks for the points boys, I honestly didn't realise Zoe was a hacker ffs. Very nice.

Yea main problem was the Pan-O winning initiative and just popping a shed load of grenades all over my deployment without me having any answer at all due to the new exclusion zone, that for some reason feels like is in every mission...I know it's not, just feels like it :grimacing:

I've no problem with the dense board I actually bloody love it as it looks amazing, and it's not SO dense there's no where to move a TAG, it's good dense.

Thanks for the massive response bud, I did whip the list up super quick and the Liberto is always the minelayer that was an oversight, haha.

Good points though and I'm loving your list, I do like to get Sombras in there where possible, I'll have a go with your list this Friday, feed back in a few weeks after a good bunch of games.

20. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

If you are sticking to the ultra-dense tables, it might be worthwhile to swap out some units for Morlocks.

I also agree that density tends to look better. Since the game is being artificially skewed in favor of a particular strategy, I think it might be fair to expect that the tables be given some firelanes to the central area to give at least some counterplay. Not that ARO - BS attack is a good call against a TAG generally. Or of course, just play different missions.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation