1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nimbus Plus Grenades and Sixth Sense Lvl 2

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Tongfa, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Tongfa

Tongfa ULTRA INSTINCT UKR

Brainstorming ideas to bust Riot Girl Linkteams with Varuna - if I shoot a 5-man core link of Riot Girls through a Nimbus Plus Grenade (low-vis zone) with triangulated fire from my Zulu Cobra (the space Aussies/Indians we never knew we needed) - what happens?

From my Zulu Cobra's perspective - it's fairly simple. Depending on whether or not he's out of 24" he shoots with one less burst at 10s. Simple.

From the Riot girls' perspective - I'm a bit unsure. Since Sixth Sense Lvl 2 only lets a fireteam ignore the -6 from ZERO-vis (i.e. Smoke), the Riot Girl linkteam would still cope a -6 from the Nimbus. They would however ignore the -3 from surprise shot due to Sixth Sense. However, since Nimbus is only a Poor Vis zone, unlike smoke where only the target being shot can react (sixth sense level 2, with her buddies unable to help out), if the offending Zulu Cobra was in LOF of multiple Riot Girls, they could also ARO to help their buddy out, albeit also taking the -6 from the Nimbus.

Coming from Ariadna - mostly just used to throwing smoke, help for working my head around this more high-tech nimbus would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

6th sense has no impact on Low or Poor Vis. MSV would usually cancel some or all of it, but Nimbus also has the Reflective trait. (to clarify, Low/Poor Vis are rules in the Scenery section that get co-opted for Nimbus. So under other circumstances, like if you rules holographic signs or trees to create a low/poor vis zone, the MSV would reduce/remove)

Triangulated gets to ignore all MODs, so ignores the Nimbus effect.

EDIT - Zulu + Patsy grenades is super gross, because the Zulu can stack Camo, Surprise, Cover, and Nimbus all at once (cumulative -15, so a guaranteed -12 to an opponent even in positive range bands unless 6th sense/MSV/Marksmanship), whilst firing out with only the -3 from Triangulated Fire and still getting Burst 3 from his Assault Pistol out to 24" or Burst 2 Combi out to 48".

inane.imp likes this.
  3. Tongfa

Yeah it's the Nimbus being so high-tech that it nullifies MSVs that's the kicker.

4. paraelix

The sad part is that Nimbus is so poorly planned out as a rule.

Model is shot from Zero-vis zone, cannot see attacker but attacker has MSV - ARO is shoot at -6 or Dodge unmodified.

Model is shot through a blurry/smoky Nimbus zone (Low/Poor), can see the attacker - ARO is -3/-6 regardless.

5. Tongfa

This pretty much sums up my confusion tbh.

6. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

That's intended. Otherwise shooting people through smoke would be stupid good as opposed to merely really good.

Basically, think of it as a deliberate nerf to MSV through Smoke that it doesn't affect Dodge.

7. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

Solid tactic. The nimbus plus is a real kicker to reactive link teams. The -1 burst can often be better than the negative to BS though you don't really get a choice. If you're outside of 24" (combi triangulated) then the difference between the %reduction from 3 to 2 is less than the %reduction from 2to1. If you can get within assault pistol range you also clip the riotgrrlz 0 range band which is a bonus and the %reduction to burst is less.

paraelix likes this.
  8. paraelix

Oh I get that it's probably a game balance thing - because Smoke and MSV are fairly prolific - but it doesn't *feel* right when discussed in the context of Nimbus/other Vis zones. Or, indeed, when compared to MSV shooting through Low/Poor Vis mods that exist due to terrain effects/zones and therefore aren't Reflective.

9. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Honestly the terrain rules need a rework. People at CB say they're "as important as Fireteams" but they're clunky to use and of questionable balance.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  10. paraelix

So exactly like Fireteams then. :D

Hecaton likes this.
  11. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I don't find Fireteams clunky to use once you learn the rules.

mightymuffin likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation