1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New wave of Varuna rumors (OMG)

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by barakiel, Sep 29, 2018.

1. MrNailbrain

MrNailbrain Relentless Optimist

“Gaming the system” means “using inside knowledge of how the system works to take advantage of it to produce a result that benefits you”.

Think of Mutts. “I want this model to be as cheap as possible. So I’m going to make it Irregular, Extremely Impetuous, with only template weaponry, because I know those rules come with heavy points discounts.” It’s not like someone designed the Mutt and then calculated the points afterward, they designed it using their points formula to be as cheap as possible.

AdmiralJCJF and Urobros like this.
  2. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

And then they decided to make Tikbalang even more expensive for MO. Because reasons.

Titus likes this.
  3. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

What do you mean "because reasons." You say that like they just slapped on 7pts more without changing anything. It got an improvement on it's CC weapon and an AP HMG. AP is a relatively expensive ammo on a big platform like that.

This whole "oh they did it arbitrarily" with the formula is getting silly. You can say "I'd rather not pay the points for the AP, don't think it's worth it for me" and that's fair, but don't pretend that there's nothing behind the points increase.

chaos11, daboarder, Urobros and 4 others like this.
  4. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Because HMG-> AP HMG seems as around 3 pts upgrade ?

And Tikbalang also lost mines (let's say gettng DA makes it equal). So we have some like 4 pts "?" .

Also: CB do make mistakes. Samekh price is such a thing, Shakti "upgrade" is an apparent "we screwed up lets try to fix that", and Securitate price is yet another "points are arbitrary" case.

Mind that I was refering that CB is clearly adding additiona/expensive/cheap stuff when they want to make particular unit expensive/cheap.

5. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

HMG to AP HMG is 3pts on a Line Kazak.

360 Visor on a Maggie costs more than an entire Thorakitai with 360 visor.

There are variable costs to things!

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  6. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Yea, but luckily we have old and new price of O-Yori to confirm that a price of AP HMG on a TAG is 3 pts :D

7. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

On an O-Yoroi, which is BS 14 without Mimetism, and also got a general rework at the same time.

Urobros likes this.
  8. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

*Looks at Line Kazaks, wonders where the bleep 3pt for AP HMGs comes from...*

Solar likes this.
  9. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Does it mean the formula is not constant ?

And yes, I'm sure that +1BS (14->15) and Mimetism is suddenly "magicly" increasing price of AP HMG by 133% xD

Because Q-Drone shows us that formula includes unit's performence when slapping Mimetism on it xD

10. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

HMG is 3 pts over ML, so it would "appear" that AP HMG is 3 pts over HMG (on Line Kazaks).

But O-Yori has also got HMG->AP HMG upgrade which changed it cost by +3 pts.

11. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

The formula obviously scales certain costs based on other skills and stats the troop has. That doesn't mean it isn't consistent.

12. RogueJello

RogueJello Well-Known Member

The Volunteer is 0.5/19, and BS10, so 3-4 points seems about right to me.

13. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Oh it does. All I'm saying it quite often doesn't make much of a sense.

McNamara likes this.
  14. Janzerker

Janzerker Well-Known Member

Getting a 2 points discount and free DA weapons on Hospitaliers and Santiagos "because of reasons" doesn't make much sense either.
    Other than those reasons were the need to sell the 300 pts box, which to me supposes an insult to customers.

RogueJello likes this.
  15. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

3 pts more for AP over regular HMG seems to be broadly correct, based on the examples we have.

That's what they are saying, an AP HMG costs 11 pts rather than the 8 of a HMG.

16. derbrizon

derbrizon Well-Known Member

Unless the designer of the Mutt chooses to speak here and we have some way of determining their honesty (we don't) then this is by definition not a provable claim. Ditto for however they ended up costing things in IA vs the ORCs.

That isn't to say I disagree with anyone who says Mutts are maybe a bit low on cost, and ORCs are ea maybe a bit high. We simply don't have access to all the information to say things like this.

To me, it supposes an insult to CB as well.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  17. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Ive seen a tikbalang flail uselessly vs an MBT in a firefight because it just couldnt touch it.

Ap is well worth the extra points for the abillity to threaten heavy tags

RogueJello and Ayadan like this.
  18. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Well if you looked into my posts you would see that I was also baffled by this sudden decrease in pts.

19. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

I think this has been made on purpose. They wanted the Tik costing the same as a MBT because it was supposed to fight against MBTs in TAG scenarii. I don't know where such overcost come from. It could be frome Religious. I know that most of the time it is useless and even more considering that the Tik itself prevents the Retreat! state to trigger but I can't see any other explanation (or maybe AP -> DA CCW is costier on a TAG).

Golem2God likes this.
  20. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yes, apologies to Eciu I got that wrong.

RogueJello likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation