1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Troop Translations

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Space Ranger, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I have a friend that is a native Mandarin Chinese speaker and asked him if he could translate CB's new troops. So here's what he said.

Zhencha - detection

Liu Xing - comet/falling star

Daoying - can be a number of things, thieving eagle is most likely one.

Mowang - demon lord

Haidao - pirate / sea thief

Thandar and Balewolf like this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Google says Dàoyǐng (倒影) means reflection or inverted image, for what that's worth. Note however that CB uses flat roof thingy on both a and i, which gets a grand total of 0 hits on Google...

Detection/investigation on Zhencha is interesting. Forward deploying Sensor?

3. Space Ranger

I saw that too about Daoying. But considering all the other troops named after animals I think Thieving Eagle might be most likely. I suppose you can think of the weird feet things to be kind of “claw” like as well.

4. Mahtamori

You're thinking of ISS. Zhanshi, Zuyong, Yan Huo, Shang-Ji, Hac Tao, are all non-animals. Guijia is kind of animal, but only as far as referring to the turtle shell, while Guilang is ghost/demon wolf, but also a word for vampire (specifically those bloodsuckers from western Europe) I believe I read.
    All in all, Invincible Army naming scheme seem to be concepts. Fireworks, Invincible, Witchcraft, Superior, Detection, Reflection, Nemesis. Haidao and Zhanshi are the only ones that sort of break that by being much more literal - pirate and soldier respectively. The remotes are all variations of remotely controlled. Kanren also breaks the mold by being a "people hacker" or something to that effect.
    If it's actually going to end up being another eagle (keep in mind, Zhanying is Eagle Agent), it would be the first literal animalistic name for IA.

5. Space Ranger

No I just don't think a name of something precludes it from being a part of IA. Just because some ISS troops are named after animals doesn't mean they all are nor does it mean IA can't have any. And, with the small amount of info we have to go on, we don't know if any of those troops could also be in ISS with a lower AVA.

6. Mahtamori

We don't know if they will be in ISS, but I think it's very safe to assume that ISS is going to be receiving no more major updates and only minor adjustments in the future planned sectorials revisit. Not least because this is the single biggest sectorial in terms of unit choice there is.

However, that's sidetracked. For Daoying, the fact that CB has written Dāoyīng, which is un-googleable but dàoyìng is perfectly searchable and doesn't mention eagles at all is what I'm reacting to. If you're friend who's fluent says it's Thieving Eagle, then sure (Zhàn Yīng translates to War Eagle, after all), but I'd be interested to know what's their take on the weird pinyin which results in Google saying "no finds"

P.s. anyone know the Ascii codes for ī and ā? ALT+0299 and ALT+0257, which is what I've found, respectively does not work.

7. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

one could argue there is a tiger soldier in IA after all, so an eagle thief wouldn't be too out of place.

8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That comes from the old Mandarin Squares, the badge of office. Based on the Bao troop entry, Yu Jing is using the mixed Ming and Qing rankings, those used from 1527 to 1662.
    The military badges are:
    1. Lion (upper)
    2. Lion (lower)
    3. Tiger
    4. Leopard
    5. Bear
    6. Panther (upper)
    7. Panther (lower)
    8. Rhinoceros
    9. Sea Horse

From the same time, the civil-service badges are:
    1. Crane
    2. Golden Pheasant
    3. Peacock
    4. Wild Goose
    5. Silver Pheasant
    6. Egret
    7. Mandarin Duck
    8. Oriole
    9. Quail

Oddly, the Bao troops have a military rank, not a civil service rank.

I would expect the military troops to have animal names, but apparently the few that do are the Tiger Soldiers and the Guilang (Ghost Wolves). And the Bao.

Space Ranger likes this.
  9. Space Ranger

This is one of the problems. If it was a Chinese company doing this we could predict a little easier, but it's a Spanish company trying to make troops based on Chinese. Who go more with the rule of cool more than anything else. And we have little information to go on.

It does make me think that the Zhencha will have something like Sensor, MSV, Bio-Visor

10. Niebieskooki

Niebieskooki Blue Sun Lieutenant

When we are at the topic of chinese names - what does Wu Ming stands for? From what I understand from lore it means someone without name but is it directly translated to No Name or something like that?

11. Space Ranger

That's pretty much it. They are a Penal Legion so they only get a number.

12. JerryZhang

JerryZhang Active Member

It means "nameless" in Chinese

13. JerryZhang

JerryZhang Active Member

Also, the best translation for "zhencha" is actually reconnaissance

Mahtamori likes this.
  14. Henshini

Henshini Well-Known Member

Interesting that JSA's new S5 HI also had daemon as part of it's translated name. Maybe the suits had a similar origin? or maybe JSA named theirs to specifically oppose the IA suit.

15. Mahtamori

Other way around iis what we're theorizing. JSA military industry was on good track to make a powered armour suit breakthrough when Upriaing happened.
    Daiyokai (great demon?) is the result of salvage work by the fledgeling police state to see this project to fruition. The project itself was secured by Yu Jing and we think Mowang (Demon Lord, but also Arch-enemy in Japanese) is the actual finished product by loyalists.

Edit: spelling is at an all-time low on my phone atm. You understand what I'm trying to write I trust :)

Henshini likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation