1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Infinity, can you help to choose faction?

Discussion in 'New Users' started by LaMinato, Nov 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LaMinato

LaMinato New Member

Hi All! I'm new to Infinity, so I really looking forward to start playing it, but I've stuck in process of choosing faction. I've come from WH40k, playing space marines (but not usual SM style - I played dreadnought spam), so I have no experience in this skirmish format.

I've read lot of intro's to infinity action, also lot of pages on 1d4chan about factions that caught my attention, but in the end I come to conclusion that I can't decide what to play on my own.

The first thing which I took from WH40k and maybe it is a bad thing - I'm really looking for all kinds of fluff, so I can't just go and play Ariadna or Haqqislam. Second - looks like I have no preferences in playstyle because I don't have eny experience in this format. In 40k it was simple for me - I like dreadnoughts, so I took this big guys, took support for them and just shoot all I can while moving forward to enemy, than dreadnoughts go melee and other try to do objectives. Second thing - some factions which I liked, like Tohaa or Aleph, are extremely hard to start due to lack of starters in Russia for not so popular factions

So I've come to some idea of creating my like Shadowrun cyberpank band with Nomads, bringing starter pack end extending it. The question is, I don't know what is better in this situation - take vanilla or some sectorial like Tunguska, which caught my attention with design and like criminal mafia background.

In the end, what would you suggest to pick in this situation? Or maybe I overlooked some really cool stuff wich corresponds with my playstyle in WH40k or with my wished background of space bandits? Really looking forward to any suggestions!

2. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Ok, to start off it sounds like you've found some faction(s) that you like. Due to either background stories or model design or the like. I would follow up on those in individual forums to see if what you would like to do can be readily done.

So.

From the 40k/Dreadnaught portion of things I'm gathering that you like durable and/or big and stompy kind of stuff. Two things sort of fulfill that role in Infinity. TAGs and heavy infantry. Those will take x2 or x3 the damage to put down that a regular infantry will due to higher armor values and higher wound scores. Which will prevent none of them from dying in a single order from time to time. They are also more expensive and thus lead to fewer models on the table, and that leads to fewer orders to do stuff with. On the upside they have higher stats and are more likely per roll to get something done.

Basically everyone has at least heavy infantry and almost everyone has a TAG. So in theory anyone could provide that aspect to play with. I'll point to Panoceania for their range of TAGs (You'll probably only use one at a time, but you can swap for style) as well as a selection of sleek looking power armored guys. Yu Jing only has one TAG and no one seems excited about it, but they have many options for power armor.

After that you get back into story and art. :D

#2 Papa Bey, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  3. LaMinato

LaMinato New Member

Hi!

I thought about TAGs, but I think it is not realy fair to compare SM dreadnought with TAG. As I understood it correct, they're like Knights - big folks which causes not really fair matchups and get dissappointed someone who does not field TAG in battle. So I don't think I want to run them at all, at least on the start...

I looked into PanO and Yu Jing, and the problem with PanO is that I want some new experience, not shooty space knights, that's why I dropped this faction. For Yu Jing I don't know, something seems not good with them too, like paying for high CC and martial arts and actually very rarely using it...

So my suggestion is, I maybe will stuck with vanilla nomads and bringing them like some cyberpank mercenaries. One thing is, as I see they're the most popular faction, and I don't really like this feeling being at the streamline faction. Are Nomads really so popular or I'm just overthinking it?

4. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

No worries, you hadn't mentioned you had already ruled some things out. ;) I was attempting to address the style component.

Nomads are one of the more popular factions. Mostly because they cater to a relatively wide varieties of play styles. You can do heavy infantry, you can do light infantry "spam", you can do lots and lots of camouflage, lots of robots, etc etc. They are the most overtly "cyberpunk" of all the factions.

With Infinity one just needs to get over the dislike of playing what everybody else does, because you can play the way you want to. You walked your own path in 40k (dreadnaught spam) and you can do so here to.

5. realder

realder Member

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation