1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new morlocks

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by redeemer, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I only will use a couple at any time, so I only need to like half of them. And as it happens the double CCW and the Assault Pistol ones are my favourite, so I'll happily bring those out. Shame they aren't as good as Colossus mind, that one is great.

2. BloodRose

BloodRose Member

Well.... I cannot help but feel a little disappointed. These are not really morlockish, and as someone else said they do feel too cosplayish to be really Bakunin. BUT I will be getting them, largely to use as conversions or standins though. To me they do not look like Morlocks, apart from the crocman that is, even if the casts are incredible.
    The references are great CB, but can we have them a little more subtle, and out frenzied assault troops a little more dynamic?

Elric of Grans and Balewolf like this.
  3. deltakilo

deltakilo Bear of Butcher bay
    Warcor

I personally love them. i think there is a little too much pop culture references in Bakunin but i like the models. my main shame is i would have loved to have seen a new morlock with tentacle hair she to me was such an iconic mini id love to have seen it updated to the new style. in saying that I love everything that has come out so much I just put in an order for my first couple of boxes for bakunin.

loricus, daboarder and WolfofWinter like this.
  4. BloodRose

BloodRose Member

+1 for the tentacle hair Morlock

loricus likes this.
  5. LunarSol

LunarSol Well-Known Member

My main gripe is still the static poses. Had Harley been doing something like this:

upload_2018-1-7_13-23-58.jpeg

I'd have been way more like... yeah, that's a Morlock... and also Harley, but still a Morlock...

6. WolfofWinter

WolfofWinter Well-Known Member

I'm a big Harley fan, so I was really excited to see this homage for the Morlocks. Then, as the last few weeks went on, I kinda started to get luke warm about them, and I think several people here hit the nail on the head. I like the nod, but what lets them down (aside from not-Killer-Croc) is the inanimate poses they are in. Harley could've been kinda jumping/vaulting over the hammer, pistol at the ready, Katana could've been running/swinging the swords and Joker could've been in some psychotic 'let's f**king go! take a shot if you've got the balls!' kinda pose. As it is, they all like they stopped for a photo op to post on Instagram.
    I'll still honor the order I put in at my FLGS, but may have to try and convert these a bit.

7. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

Yeah, I was already dissappointed by the Moderator and Riot Grrls sculpts. Now the Morlocks. Static and such an obvious ripoff.

"Cosplayers in space" like @Tristan228 said and that is really sad to me.

All the old Bakunin sculpts were more unique and fun to look at. Lollipop Moderator, "The finger" Riot Grrl etc. Or think about the old Alguacil female sniper with the little pet.

These small things made me love Nomads.

I own all (!) the old and new models, but I will never play the new ones, which is sad. :(

WolfofWinter and Elric of Grans like this.
  8. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

Most dynamic pose is on not-killer-croc, and that pose looks like he's holding a door open for someone with his foot and politely ushering them through, that's the best explanation I have for that pose.

I am most disappoint with new morlocks

9. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

Primo: DC will not sue CB over this, because they do not have any valid basis to do so. Unless every half-masked katana wielding chick is considered 'The Katana', every ponytails chick with hammer/baseball batt is considered Harley and every muscled bold guy with reptilian skin - well, whatever, cause this one is actually based on the previous Morlock box Croc, so...

Oh no - it's another DC Harley Quinn ripoff!!?? :(

[​IMG]

Secundo: To be considered a ripoff a character has to be a more or less precise copy. For example a lot of people produce Space Marines ripping off Games Workshop's property. These ripoffs are armoured in the same way, have almost exact same proportions and are armed with weaponry of the similar shape. Some even bear same insignia (cause Ultima is not trademarked) - and only a percentage of these are being sued by GW - which is known for being very agressive towards this kind of stuff.

The Morlock Box is not even remotely close to being a ripoff. It is an easter egg, something that you can see in almost every big Board Game Kickstarter campaign of late. It is also nothing that CB hadn't done before and the tradition of this kind of stuff streaches reeeealllyyy far, back into the history of the game. These are all Nomad miniatures, clothed like ones and stylized as ones. They're even armed like ones with Infinity designed weaponry. They bear similarities with other Nomad miniatures and the only resemblence they bear to Suicide Squad is hairstiles and choice of weaponry type.

If someone is still considering Batman the miniature game minis to be better and preffer to obtain theirs instead - then why not go and play Batman? This box is not obligatory - it's free market. I'll stay with these fine Morlocks, who dress like the rest of my favorite RED dudesmen of Infinity the Game.

As for the box - I agree that the poses (excluding Croccy) are too static. I imagined that nowadays technology would let CB design these guys in some crazy poses, that would put Kusanagi and Pupniks to shame - but I'll take what is given. This is still awesome looking and very interrestingly armed bunch with two fine ladies - and awesome Chainrifle brute. Would do as a fine conversion material and source of awesome bitz to mix up with other boxes and build an ultimate Morlock team alongside GL starter Morlock.

Attached Files:

Golem2God, Lothair and Danger Rose like this.
  10. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I do like the two swords on the shoulders, though

Looks very cool and cyberpunky

WolfofWinter likes this.
  11. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

@nazroth Even if they weren't legally distinct it's probably fine. It's clearly not intended as creative theft or bootleg.

I'm glad you like them I want someone to. But you can't pretend they aren't obvious. If you paint them studio colors people casually observing would recognize some references, especially as a set. People in to the lore get upset when something takes away from immersion and I think that's fair.

12. nazroth

Sure @loricus but wouldn't USARF Grunts army look like Starship Trooperss if painted accordingly? Why Senor Massacre doesn't bother anyone? Why not Roger Van Zant? Hell - there's a 'Highlander' Highlander box :P Why Appleseed, wait - I meant Panoceania and their Fate Zero Saber Joann goes freely?
    I think that in this particular case CB is in a place in time where their technology allows them to make this kind of stuff at speed and react to current Pop Culture faster than in previous years. So a movie comes out, and not long after we see similarities in miniatures, that otherwise would take much, much longer to appear in the market and wouldn't felt so obvious. Either way you can either learn to accept them, or learn to ignore them. No amount of hate towards them would make them dissapear :)

PS: I miss tentacle Morlock - with this one was in the box, or appeared as another Bakunin piece along the way.

Daemon of Razgriz and Golem2God like this.
  13. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

@nazroth Yeah, they did this all the time. But nowadays it happens very often. And like I already mentioned I miss that unique small things: Lollipop, finger, small pet etc.

14. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Homage is one thing. Shameless ripoff is another. It might not be illegal, but it's certainly lazy enough for me not finding the miniatures "part of the joke" so to speak.

Let's look at a homage: Joan of Arc. On the Giraldez's book and the newest version, the head is that of Saber from the Nasuverse... but the only real "copy" here is the hairstyle, and the joke is that Saber is a genderbender King Arthur enemies have mistaken with Joan of Arc once or twice. The newest sculpt also has an extra homage, because regardless of the head you use (saber's or the slimmer achiles...) she is in a "He-Man" (or maybe She-Ra) pose, also crushing an enemy under her boot, something quite usual on other miniature's brand, and you can take both to see an homage to a drawing artist.
    However, we look at the morlocks and... hey look, suicide squad. Just after the Guardians of the Galaxy moderators, and the Colossus morlock on the Bakunin starter... Sure, Disney can be merciless, but leaving that aside... The girls look asleep, which is kinda irksome when the old models are so dynamic.

15. nazroth

Girls aren't asleep - they just cought the Nomad virus - something that makes half our miniatures posed badly ;)

T. Rex Pushups likes this.
  16. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I hardly play Jaguar links because of Massacre. People just don't care as much because the player base affected is tiny compared to a bread and butter Nomad unit like Morlocks.

It doesn't bother me because I'm not a player that minds using old models. Except for Massacre, his art and concept and even powers are that stupid superhero.

17. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

Has anybody bought the new box ?
    Are the heads seperated from the body?
    Plan to make some converts ..

18. nazroth

Sadly both male heads are one piece with the top half of the body, while female heads go with a neck and something resembling upper shoulder line and entire left hand.

xagroth likes this.
  19. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

This neck thing is similar like riot girls ?
    I hate it.

20. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Lately the assembling is being dumbed down a lot... but that costs in the way of ease of conversions, I'm afraid.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation