1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New FAQ - Stealth

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by RobertShepherd, Apr 11, 2019.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The other part of Reset that needs fixing is active turn vs delayed AROs.

3: TAG moves within 8 of an SSL1 Hacker
    4: SSL1 Hacker delays their ARO with SSL1'
    5: TAG declares Reset. The Hacker player responds "Umm... that's an Invalid ARO because you meet none of the requirements"

If you add, as a requirement, "The trooper is inside the Hacking Area of an enemy Hacker" to both Reset and Shield programs like Breakwater you fix most of the hacking issues. It leaves the CC issues but other than for units like Yojimbo or Uberfalls which can do this trivially it's probably not a huge issue.

It does, however, enable this interaction:

Alice is a Hacker, Bob is an enemy inside a Repeater net.

3: Alice activates and Moves, staying outside of Bob's LOF
    4: Bob Resets
    5: Alice Moves through Bob's LOF

Personally I don't think that's a problem given how much non-KHD Hackers pay to be Hackers. You can limit it (at the cost of making it less intuitive) by saying instead:

"The trooper is inside the Hacking Area of an enemy Hacker and appears* to be vulnerable to being hacked by that enemy Hacker"

This means that KHDs can't exploit it vs non-Hackers, and - in their active turn - most LI/MI won't trigger this requirement.

* This is to account for Holo 1 shenanigans.

#161 inane.imp, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    toadchild and Hecaton like this.
  2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That's not different from declaring Dodge when someone (a shooter, not a hacker) Moves in your ZOC out of LOF, and then they Move again.

I don't see a problem.

toadchild likes this.
  3. inane.imp

@Section9 nor do I. But it is a meaningful change and should be considered.

4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

You can’t put “appears to be” in the requirements like that. Because it creates the following situation:

1. Holoprojector L1 hacker revealed itself earlier and then spent the order to turn Holoprojector L1 back on, disguising as a non-hacker.
    2. You activate a model that you know is vulnerable to the hacker and move into the hacking area. The trooper you know is a hacker but doesn’t look like one declares Delay.
    3. Now you’re not allowed to declare Reset, because you don’t “appear” vulnerable to hacking.

Disclaimer: This combination is possible with the new spec ops skill charts. I don’t know that there’s a “real” trooper that can do it.

5. inane.imp

'is' just reverses the issue. 'appears to be' places the advantages for a trooper in the Holo 1 state, which seems reasonable.

My preference is the more liberal version anyway: KHDs punish widespread repeater nets enough that dropping repeaters just to be able to Move across the LOF of a reactive trooper is risky.

6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

My solution is still as above - make Reset easier to declare. You can already use it in ARO for any ZoC activation; it just needs to be legal for hacking area as well, and unrestricted in active turn. You can legally dodge in the active turn even if you’re not being attacked and it breaks nothing.

BLOODGOD, daboarder and solkan like this.
  7. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

You’re saying “It’s not okay to get an unopposed hacking attack, unless you have skill X.”

How does it fix Reset/Hacking to create that situation?

8. inane.imp

The situation already exists. I'm reducing the number on occasions in which it comes up. I think most of the hacking related normal rolls discussed in this thread exist due to holes in the game design not because they're fun or good for the game: so I'd prefer to see them reduced / eliminated.

It doesn't fix Hacking entirely. The Shield-2+ programmes get fixed because they become usable in most relevant situations, the Stealth+non-Stealth vs Hacking issue gets mitigated by allowing Reset. SSL1+Hacking Area issues get mitigated by allowing Reset.

My preference would be to rewrite Hacking entirely. Allowing Reset/Shields on any occasion when a relevant ARO is generated (or, more restrictively, appears to be relevant) is a band-aid.

ChoTimberwolf and toadchild like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation