1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New FAQ - Stealth

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by RobertShepherd, Apr 11, 2019.

1. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Didnt nimbus grenades work in CC if someone tried to dodge ?

2. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I appreciate the thought, but I don't think the original thing you posted works, because it messes up things like G: Sync combat units (Chimera/Pupnik), Antipodes, Myrmidon fireteams, etc. You need to allow the "team" to declare move, even if the leader cannot; they will just idle as a result.

3. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

The line I quoted is directly from Fireteams. I'm not sure how else to read it when it says that the other units do what the Link Leader declares.

G:Synch is written differently allowing that leeway though.
    "The Controller and the G: Synchronized trooper must declare the same Order, declaring the same Short Skills of the Order. However, it is not compulsory that they have the same target."

4. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Fair enough, each of the cases I mentioned probably has slightly different wording. I think it's a good question and it's been discussed before. I don't mind discussing it again, but it probably deserves its own thread, rather than derailing this one any further.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

So are you saying that this means Stealth is not usable in melee or are you saying that that this means the target gains LOF in melee?

What you're implying has a rather long logical chain of thought in order to arrive at either conclusion to be considered a rule, to be honest.

6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

• A trooper with Stealth that declares a Short Movement Skill or Cautious Movement within the Zone of Control of one or more enemies but outside their LoF does not grant AROs to those enemies, even if he reaches base contact with them.
    You can't declare Move while engaged, so you cannot ever meet the requirements of this bullet point.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  7. Mahtamori

A unit on their own can't, which is why I brought up a Fireteam.

But just so we fully and completely get rid of that obstacle; Hospitaller Doctor with Servant. Both incentive and ability to do this

8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Ok, sure; the servant moves, but the doc's gets turned into an idle/null, which I still don't think falls under stealth.

9. Mahtamori

IDLE SHORT MOVEMENT SKILL
    Movement, No LoF, No Roll.
    REQUIREMENTS
    EFFECTS

• A trooper that declares Idle performs no action.
    • Idle is a Common Skill and, as such, its declaration activates the trooper, potentially generating AROs.
    • Whenever a trooper that received an Order in the Active Turn chooses not to perform an action with one of the two Short Skills of that Order, that trooper is considered to declare Idle.
    • The trooper is also considered to perform an Idle when he has declared a Skill not allowed by the rules. In such situation, the ammunition of Disposable weapons or pieces of Equipment is spent, too.

A trooper with Stealth that declares a Short Movement Skill or Cautious Movement within the Zone of Control of one or more enemies but outside their LoF does not grant AROs to those enemies, even if he reaches base contact with them.

toadchild likes this.
  10. Mahtamori

Look, there's a reason why I settled for that it would be Dumb™ for the rules to function like the FAQ has them function now the last time around we had this debate. Way too exploitable.

Berjiz and Hecaton like this.
  11. Mahtamori

That's also a true gem.
    It says in bold "must declare the same Order" and then in the very first Fireteam example you apparently don't have to declare the same order if it's not necessary "but the rest will not need to Jump and will instead declare an Idle."
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Fireteam_Examples

inane.imp and Hecaton like this.
  12. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

At least it's not ambiguous. Now, if it creates a big problem, it can't be handwaved away by "Oh, the TO just shouldn't allow that."

13. DukeofEarl

You are quoting the G:Synch rules there which is different than Fireteams.

My point was in a fireteam the Link Leader declares the skill (as spelled out in the rules quoted before) and everyone else follows it. In that first fireteam example they don't define the leader, so it isn't great support either way.

14. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Anyway, my interpretation is and always has been that you have magical unpreventable LoF to everything you're in base contact with.

ambisinister likes this.
  15. DukeofEarl

Which is supported by being able to CC while in smoke

Robock and ambisinister like this.
  16. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I don't understand why on earth they would write that and not just have the rest of the fireteam execute a 0" jump...

It's not like you consider a model in fireteam that doesn't move during a move order to have declared an idle. It moved and went nowhere, just like using a 0" move to check for TO snipers before committing to shoot.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  17. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

The main difference is that when you jump, you have to stand up. When you idle, you can stay prone. There's some other bits about being able to see through troopers in the middle of an order but that's the main thing.

18. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I'm still not sure how the Stealth bullet applies in this case. You're inside the reactive trooper's LoF.

19. DukeofEarl

He's trying to reason that being in Zero Vis means that you can't get LoF in CC?

20. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

I thought that too because i’m with @toadchild on how I think LOF in cc works. However, when I went to check it I found out that CC does not require LoF just base to base, so it’s not useful as an example of whether or not Zero Vis disrupts base to base LoF. The only skill I could find that potentially supports the reading is Dodge. But, if this shakes down to Zero Vis does block LoF in bass to base, then Dodge gets removed as a viable ARO unless they write in an explicit exemption for CC like they did for BS.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation