1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon city project

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Usashi, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

New forum, so here we go again ;)
    Link to the old, full thread: http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/48709-neon-city-project/?page=1

===

Since I can't really decide what painting scheme I should pick for my army, I decided to focus my attention on finishing and upgrading my gaming table. That's why I'm starting "Neon city" project.

I own something that can be described as "official" Zen Terrain's gaming table. Well it's not Zen's, it's mine and I'm going to finish painting it, upgrade it with various new terrain, custom commissioned ones and some scratch build items as well. After recently seeing new Ghost in the shell and Dotonbori area I decided I want stronger Asian and cyberkpunk vibe on my table.

First new addition are those guys:

[​IMG]

I saved them from being trashed and decided to add those brave terracotta soldiers as monuments, giving extra crit bonus to nearby Zuyongs. I made some custom designed statue plinths and asked Zen to cut it out for me. In the end I got some nice looking scatter terrain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

==

I've been working on converting my MAS buildings. I'm not a fan of standard, brick like design so I'm upgrading mine a little bit.Here is pre assembled WIP of a sushi bar, ready for priming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

==
    Yesterday I've finished painting sushi bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Usually I stick to greys and oranges. In this project, instead of orange I used pink and green to match colours used on outdoor ads. I was quite happy how it turned out.

Things went wrong when I decided to cover it in a layer of varnish. It took me few seconds to realize that instead of varnish can I'm holding a grey primer [​IMG] Well, It could be worse but left and front sides are kind of greyish and contrast is almost non existent. Hard learned lesson is to never space out while doing something important.

I'll probably repaint "varnished" parts at some point but I need to muster my inner strength. For now I'm too furious to do it.

#1 Usashi, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

I'm currently working on a next MAS building and making some custom billboards and adds, so watch this space [​IMG]

In the meantime I've finished painting suicide booth and a transport vehicle for Zen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

==

And WIP of my current project. After last weekend wedding reception I became an owner of those nice cups. I wanted to do cherry trees for a while so they were perfect for the job. Sculpting done, everything is ready for painting.

[​IMG]

==
    I just finished another MAS building with a little conversion to make it more asian style.

The plan is to assemble and paint every terrain I own till the end of the summer and then start painting my army for a change

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

==

I recently got my commissioned laser cut bits. Combining them with some semi-transparent cards and stickers I got on eBay + a drink mixing stirrer I was able to finish some outdoor adverts for my table.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 Usashi, Nov 26, 2017
  3. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

During the weekend we had a tournament in our area and I've lend my table to the community. Although my terrains were divided between two tables the main one looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every time I reach the conclusion I have enough terrains in my collection, I realize a few more wouldn't hurt.

===

In the meantime I've finished my cheery bonsai. Every asian table should have some of those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

===

For a long time I pondered how to intensify an asian vibe on my table and I was wondering about adding a giant Buddha statue with a shrine around it. Today I finally got my parcel with the statue itself (sadly broken :(), so here is a scale picture and a quick photoshop sketch. I wonder if to use existing buildings and add few conversions or if to design a whole new building for the statue (although I think I'm a bit too lazy for that). On the other hand if I use 2 Zen's Lhabs, the whole structure will be massive and I wonder how would it fit on the table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apart from that a WIP picture of next MAS building. I'm nearly done painting cat walks and some extra habs. I should probably focus on one thing at a time but that would be boring [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 Usashi, Nov 26, 2017
  4. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Today I've finished painting catwalks although I want add some extra bits like ads, etc. later on.

[​IMG]
    ==
    It's been a while since the last post. Painting a Buddha statue was a time consuming processes where I used various techniques and colours (thank you guys for all suggestions). So I've tried pure gold with various metallics inks, dark statue with colour washes and bright colourful outlines and in the end I also bought holographic spray cans and that's how the statue looks now.

I've started with a lapis paint but ended buying a second can with a stronger green to purple effect. I'm not sure If I want to add anything more as I've already spent too much time on this piece of terrain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I've added a section of cover to my catwalks.

[​IMG]

==

5. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

So in the end I found a printing company that made me some lenticular postcards. I shamelessly used various illustrations from the web and after a bit of upgrading in photoshop I got something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I finally revived a parcel with my commissioned banners. Behold I've achieved a new level of gaming terrain awesomeness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly my mobile died after making those 3 movies. Now I need to design nice hdf stands for all those banners/billboards. The quest for uber table never ends...

#5 Usashi, Nov 26, 2017
  6. mig1

mig1 Active Member

Looks really nice! specially the statues

Usashi likes this.
  7. Sir_Fincor

Sir_Fincor Well-Known Member

I only can say amazingggg!!

8. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

Glad you moved this over. Awesome project!

9. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Amazing scenery and paintjob. I'm really impressed. If I may suggest something, maybe more green areas? I would not imagine such a city without a park, and I think you would create a very beautiful one.

jherazob likes this.
  10. Stormygeddon

Stormygeddon Well-Known Member

This is too good. Stop it!

chromedog and Belgrim like this.
  11. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, I'm glad you like it ;)

Thanks mate. I'll think about it in the future. It would be nice to add park areas as well but at the moment I'm more focused on getting higher buildings on my table. I'd like to get a feeling I'm playing inside the city not just some suburbs areas.

I recently got my table back and yesterday I was finally able to test lenticular banners, sticking them with blue tac all over the table. The banners were kind of blending in because of colourful terrains and weren't really that eye catching. It's bit disappointing but I hope once I get them a proper hdf frames, it will be easier to spot them on the table.

Also the Buddha statue had a little accident as it was thrown off the table and lost its head. The "funny" part is that it spent the whole tournament inside a box and was just outside for terrain packing when someone knocked it to the ground. I'll have to fix it and an probably repaint it during the spring. On the other hand I got myself a set of MAS cars as an apology gift. Apparently it can be helpful when you are described as a vengeful samurai. No, it wasn't an extortion and I'm not really vengeful.

12. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Maybe it was to avoid bad karma. *wink*

Usashi likes this.
  13. Vyo

Vyo I dabble in *PRECISION*

Now THAT is brilliant.

Can you link us to the printer? And/or share your ad graphics? I'm always on the hunt for ones that aren't tiny 100 pixel thumbnails.

14. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Cheers mate.

PM sent. I'm not really sure how exactly international copyrights work and since I'm not the author of those artworks I don't want to make them "officially" available on google drive or something. Still anyone interested in those can PM to get the files.

If you are looking for a high quality artworks I recommend artstation, deviantart or adds of the world for current adverts and prints. At least that's what I used when I was making a selection for myself.

As far as the printing company goes, they don't have English website so unless you are fluent in Polish, it might be tricky.

15. Vyo

Vyo I dabble in *PRECISION*

Thanks for the link. As for the printer, at least I know what to ask for.

16. sevsterino

sevsterino Well-Known Member

This terrain is amazing. Really great work in terms of ideas, making it and painting. All perfect. The only thing that in my eyes does look strange is the color of your board. It is so bright / white that it looks sterile clean and gives very unrealistic look to everything else. I would love to see your amazing terrain on a darker board / mat.

17. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

The bright table really is only going to look that bright in a photo where all you see is the brightness. In person it's probably quite nice and less overwhelming.

18. Wirelizard

Wirelizard New Member

Nice to see this project has been ported over to our shiny new forums!

Now, to get used to yet another forum setup...

19. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I work in advertising, and those ads are friggin amazing. :hushed:

20. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the all comments, guys I really appreciate it.

Long time without any updates but recently I'm more focused on painting my minis. Since I have a painted and playable table (more or less), I've decided it was high time I did something about my army of silver models. I'll probably get back to adding new terrains around spring/summer but here is a quick teaser.

I recently got my parcel with a KS Rising Sun board game and I definitely need to add river dragon miniature at a top of some pond or a fountain.

[​IMG]

Zen79, Oni, Space Ranger and 8 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation