1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCA – The Demolition Crew

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

IIRC both are 3D, that is why all details are the same. If you pick the 3D file, change the pose (closed vs spread legs), and say "it must be X mm scale" and someone down the process reads "X mm tall" (because for most people mm is about sizes, not scales, that only applies for miniature people... and after some years, you should understand the issues around that weird terminology and avoid even with people that know about it too, to simplify everyone's life), and when the print gets back they go ahead anyway (they did too with a putty sculpt at least once), you get this ticket for circus.

Nice paintjobs, specially the "textures".

burlesford likes this.
  2. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

@Mob of Blondes Thank you for the info, learned something new! What Putty sculpt do you mean though?

With a little less of a speedpainting approach now that the end of the project is already in sight, my Tech Bee (with pants). Tuned her ridiculousness down from 11/10 to 8/10.

[​IMG]

3. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Hey! Embrace the ridiculousness! :joy:

4. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

It was Haqq, but the exact model escapes me. Maybe someone can remember it.

5. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

Great paintjob on the tech bee!

Golem2God and burlesford like this.
  6. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Next up: The Aleph section

Yadu is my Deva
    [​IMG]

Garuda will also stand in as a Devabot if necessary.
    [​IMG]

I painted up the Deva regularly, for one because she was simply too beautiful and elegant to walk around as sloppily as the rest of the bunch, but also because I missed my regular painting style. Luckily, the airbrush had already taken care of most of the tricky white parts. In order to show the superiority of Aleph, she's also the only model who managed to find a puddle-free spot of mud :P

The Garuda was not so lucky as the Deva. He's been hanging around with the Demolition boys for too long, so now he's as rusty as the rest of 'em. In truth, I wanted to see how my weathering effects would look on the white, so he got the rough treatment as well.

Gwynbleidd, Lesh', Willen and 13 others like this.
  7. Wikkid Devil

Wikkid Devil Well-Known Member

Look where you’re treading!

Excellent work as always @burlesford

burlesford likes this.
  8. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! Let's get towards the end, shall we?

Shona Carano/Uma Sørenson/second Orc:
    [​IMG]

Richard Quinn:
    [​IMG]

9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

And the big boy, the reason I started with all of this, Mr. Uhlan:

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if I did him justice, but I definitely put in a bit more time into him than the others.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also gave him a magnetized base that can clip into a 55mm base, so he can double as a Squalo as well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I even managed to find another Karkata to fill up my AVA of Palbots:

[​IMG]

With him, my Demolition Crew is finished!

[​IMG]

30 models, 1 month (if you subtract the time I was on vacation).

Looking back, I really enjoyed trying out a completely different technique and approach, and I like the look and feel of the army.

That said, I don't think I will work like that again. I realized I enjoy it much more to take my time with each model and bring out the details. Of all the models in this project, I actually had the most fun with the Yadu/Deva and like how she turned out the most — and she was done "traditionally".

So I'm happy to go back to a few more Nomads with Crimson Stone, and after that, we'll, you'll see ;)

Thanks for all the likes, comments and feedback!

10. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

Whoa what a sweet force! Thanks so much for sharing! Also the tutorials!

burlesford likes this.
  11. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thank you and you're very welcome :)

12. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

They look amazing, cohesive and for sure an eye-catching force on the table. Don´t feel bad if it is not your style; I am sure anyway it helped you develop new skills and ideas for when you go back to your regular painting.

burlesford and jherazob like this.
  13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I feel the opposite of bad, but only because I'm done with it XD Thank you very much! It definitely was a cool project.

Willen likes this.
  14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

After refusing for a long time, I finally gave in and added some more troops to my Demolition Crew: The Blackfriars.

[​IMG]

The male model is just too cool not to have, and since I have a friend who wants to play a bit of Code One with me this year, it's the perfect proxy to let him put a KoJ on the table for when he wants to play with my PanO.

The female HRL model was a lucky grab from an ebay sale. Happy to be able to put both on the table now (and proxy a ML KoJ in C1 as well).

Also, even though I said I wouldn't want to paint another army like this, adding a model or two in this super fast style (3 hours for both) in between more demanding paintjobs proved to be a nice distraction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#34 burlesford, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Gwynbleidd, Lesh', nehemiah and 8 others like this.
  15. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

A few more additions to my NCA: Two Bulleteers and a 3D-printed Auxbot for my Peacemaker:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think the Bulleteers need something extra to make them stand apart. I skipped the stripes to differentiate them from the Peacemaker (and to be faster), but now they're a bit bland. I'm thinking about adding some white graffiti that says something corny to the chassis. Ideas?

For those interested in the auxbot, a friend printed it for me using this guy's STLs. They do look a bit different from the original ones, but I didn't mind, since it only helps set apart the Peacemaker bot from the Auxilia bots even more. Here's a comparison shot with the official one from CB:

[​IMG]

Uthoroc, Gwynbleidd, zapp and 6 others like this.
  16. moardredd

moardredd Member

Still like the look of the auxbots

burlesford likes this.
  17. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

I'd just put some white on some of the panels. But thinking of a corny grafitto on each one... how about "Tough Mudder" and "Muddy Angel"?
    qz127gs9.jpg

#37 Tristan228, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  18. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

What about 'mudder squad' ?

burlesford likes this.
  19. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Damn, these are all lovely. I really like the colour scheme, especially on the bots and TAG. Your auxbots are probably my favourites though! The battle damage and weathering on the Uhlans looks really great. You’re tech bee and the uma Sorensen/Shona/orc and Richard Quinn look amazing too.

Thanks for sharing the tutorials!

Excellent work!

burlesford likes this.
  20. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

This is really excellent work. It's hard to take minis which are notable for their clean lines and restrain oneself through a process of intentionally obscuring some of that detail. Thanks for sharing the experiment!

I'm inspired to try a bit of oil weathering, after looking at these.

Gwynbleidd and burlesford like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation