1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My journey with Maggie (Pics heavy) (Bla-bla heavy too)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Koin-Koin, Jan 13, 2021.

1. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

I tried safari and chrome but neither worked when loading this page. Such a shame... :-(

2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Quite strange.
    I have no issue what ever browser I use being on Windows or Android and I know my best friend browse it normally on iOS.

Nothing at all or an error message? Some frames but no images?
    Could you try to visit the root page and browse the sublevels?

3. archangeleong

page just fails to load

Koin-Koin likes this.
  4. Koin-Koin

:/
    The only thing I can think of is that your system prevent any non secured page to load but that's just a guess.

5. Koin-Koin

I edited the posts to have pics forum hosted so it should be ok for everyone.
    If anyone has issue about viewing my linked gallery or anything hosted below http://koin.koin.free.fr/ feel free to PM me.

6. archangeleong

Can see the pics finally! Have to say it looks great and I’m impressed with what you did!

It is a pity there are some mold lines on it as has been noted by others. These are fixable with careful scraping from the rear of your knife, plus a file and even a little fine sandpaper. No special tools required for this type of work. However I don’t think that the lines detract too much from the overall good work you have done.

I especially like how you did the glazing of base coat over the dry brushing. I’m also impressed that you tried the markings as a lot of people are too intimidated to try this. Well done and thanks for sharing your efforts.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  7. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

I keep on thinking Free.fr will have to provide HTTPS (it seems a long standing issue, 1, 2... 3 is about Free.fr or only the little machines they provide?). If browsers (or ISPs?) just do not accept HTTP even when all the page files are served via HTTP (as opposed to mixed case)... no much recourse, or it will be like not providing the hosting service at all (I fear Mozilla will go down the same path than others). Dunno, maybe Free.fr could reach an agreement with a CDN, as some seem happy to get a much load as possible (dunno why... /s).
    Or at least provide a declaration about "no HTTPS for whatever.free.fr for the time being", so people can act accordingly instead of wondering what is wrong. Do they have some kind of "customers' suggestions" box?
    Now... no sandpaper? No small files? No diamond drill burr bits (to be used as ball, cylinder, cone, etc, sanding files)? You can glue small snippets of sandpaper to sticks, and even foam, to build your own custom tools as last resort. It may take time, but with diamond you can "eat" anything (bonus, it scratches in all directions, unlike normal files), and so will wet-and-dry sandpaper (except diamond itself and maybe a handful other materials).

8. Koin-Koin

Yes it is something asked for quite some time (actually 3 is certificate related but not not hosting service related and was fixed long time ago).
    Pre alpha started in 2017 and beta roll out was supposed to start in 2018. I have no idea how testers were selected or applied.
    At that time, the main concern was about the servers extra load that it would generate but it may not be the case any more. Still no official news.
    I'm confident https will be available at one time or another, I just assume it not being on the top of their to do list.
    My understanding is that they use let's encrypt at the moment.
    Just to provide a bit of context, this hosting service is free not only for the ISP subscribers but also for anyone located in France. So I consider it fair not to have the same priority as their paying service.
    Sand paper and files I have indeed. Diamond drill ? Nope. Nice thing to consider in the future, thanks for mentioning it.
    I like the sand paper stick idea a lot. Should remember it.
    You indeed point something important here: accessibility. If located somewhere else, I may have tried something.
    Once again, this may be a fix that could be done easily by someone else. To me, it was just a "you've got 1 chance to improve it and 99 to move from not nice to totally screwed". Hence my (totally arguable) choice to keep it as it was.

You can call me lazy, chicken or whatever. That's ok. I won't deny it. I will even claim it. Maybe next time I'll put it to the next level or even two (nah, who am I kidding?).

9. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

The other option you have, for simple zones, is to fill with some kind of acrylic gel until it reaches the raised side. Sculpt with paint. If it goes wrong, it will disappear with paint removers.

BTW, it seems they are called more burr than drill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_(cutter) The diamond ones have amorphous shiny surface (WP photo shows carbide and obvious "spirals").

10. Koin-Koin

Didn't know the English word thanks. But I know the difference in French: basically a drill move through its rotation axis while a bur (can too but) move (mostly) perpendicularly to the rotation axis. Plus more variety in shapes.

Acrylic gel sounds interesting. I guess it may fill the gap between sculpting metal and filling with putty.

Mob of Blondes likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation