1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MULAN?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by stargorger, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member

Well, unless the uprising has nixed them completely, we have a whole big old space left for a new regional army without a chip on its shoulder. Every major (and even minor) polity in Yu Jing has been given leeway to have its own unique regional military unit just like the Japanese did (and unlike them, most aren't harbouring thoughts of rebellion).

So while White Banner may well end up being where we see a lot of non-Chinese units injected (i.e. a good chance of some Mongolian and Tibetan influence beyond the existing Monks and beyond the likely inclusion of the Blue Wolf TAG) my guess is the Invincible Army will very much be Chinese-centric in the same way the ISS is (well, to a point, since the ISS has a lot of mercs in it as well). I think that the most likely regional candidate (assuming regional armies remain a thing after Japan secedes) will be a Korean Sectorial Army since it seems like the easiest group to flesh out (combination of possible upcoming units like the Shooting Star, the previous inclusion of a Korean named character, rest her soul, and a rich selection of modern and historical inspiration to draw on for new units).

But man... the wait on all that is going to be brutal for someone that has been in since 2005. I don't know if I have another 13 years of patience in me to wait for CB to re-flesh out my chosen faction all over again. Gutting us back to a smattering of not-yet-affiliated units and the Chinese Beureaucratic Machine stuff certainly leaves a lot of open doors, but I was sort of hoping for a mature and set faction by this stage instead of one that feels like it is just taking its baby steps again.

I very much like the concept of such a faction (it is the concept that got me in to Yu Jing in the first place), but the wait is seeming especially onerous after playing for this long.

Golem2God, Shiwen, Pierzasty and 2 others like this.
  2. Warhydra

Warhydra Well-Known Member

Well, getting rid of the Japanese (From YJ anyway) will help the other culture groups. The Japanese were frankly getting too much attention over everyone else and we were stuck in the whole Chinese vs Japanese dichotomy instead of having a diverse Far East Empire.
    They dont all need their own sectorials either, I mean look at SAA, its got Sikhs, Catholics and a bunch of other things. The regional banners dont all have to be mono-cultured like the JSA.

Hecaton, Golem2God and stargorger like this.
  3. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

i could honestly see Kublai Khan being a figure they'd do, given how much he embraced chinese culture. But it seems more likely to get someone from the Three Kingdoms period.

stargorger likes this.
  4. Warhydra

Wouldn't mind Guan Yu really, Zhuge Liang would be cool, but Sun Tze took the master strategist spot already.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#24 Warhydra, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    stargorger likes this.
  5. stargorger

stargorger Well-Known Member

Yeah...I was tentatively hopeful that maybe they'll surprise us and magically have both Yu Jing sectorials out this year? But that's my optimism speaking...

6. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

There is a whole slew of "Oriental Troops" that could be very cool concepts to create and conceptualize, and that could be "Total 100% Yujings" even if absolutely Not Chinese. . .

Thailand: from the "Ong Bak / The Protector" movie franchises of the excellent Tony Jaa, to any "Ancient Imperial Siam" hystorical movies come any kind of "Cool Stuff" and a "Tong-Po" Recreation could be a very cool "Merciless Close Combat Lhost" to oppose to a Merovingian "J.C.V.D." Action Cop for a new Dire Foes box. . .

Korea: Hwarangs "Royal Knights" Martial Artists would provide a solid Heavy Infantry core, and a "Tae-Kwon-Do" kind of Light Armed Warbands could be their well-balancing Polar Opposites. . .

Mongolia: the mysterious "Blue Wolves" of Svarhalheima are yet existing from the very start of Infinity and should be a sort of "Differetn Guijias" but optimized for Arctic Warfare; a "Hun Cavalry" (with or WITHOUT recreations of Atli / Attila or Temujin "Genghis" Khan) would be a good "Biker Impetuous Warband" with solid rulesets yet extant in the Kums and Desperados. . .

Indonesia, Java, Malaysia and other "Seaside Orientals": there are a lot of very, very cool "Oriental Pirates" that could be just slightly different from Ariadnan Irmandhinos or other "Raider Profiles" from the Haqqislamite Kapu Kalqi. . .

Just concentrating on Indonesia, the awesome Action Police Movie "Serbuan Maut / The Raid" (2011, shot by the occidental Gareth Evans) with the excellent indonesian actor Iko Uwais, could provide with an extra cool slew of concepts with "Pseudo Bao / Pseudo Kanren" kind of S.W.A.T. Squads against some kind of Irregular, Impetuous Warbands and Criminal Snipers. . .

And those are JUST the ones that immediatly comes to Mind, as there are decines, hundreds, if not thousands (O.K. this could be quite an hyperbole !!) that the whole "Oriental Cultures" could provide. . .

Warhydra and Golem2God like this.
  7. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

I wouldn't call it optimism

I would call it incredibly naive, reality-alienated optimism

AdmiralJCJF and Pierzasty like this.
  8. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Chances are, they will still get a lot of attention, but without sharing its fruits with YJ from now on.

And there's so much anime not yet covered by CB model range, mhmm...

the huanglong and Golem2God like this.
  9. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

Huns and Mongolian are two very seperate people. Huns lived on the pleteu in modern Hungary and mongolians are from the asian step near mongolia. Huns dont belong in yu jing, mongolians do, but i do agree on them being a good model basis

Golem2God likes this.
  10. Shinobi

Shinobi Member

Only if the model comes with a pack of Szechuan Sauce

11. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

There is definitely (now particularly) a lot of room for new notJapan-notChina units in Yu Jing, as well as for recreations of the heroes of history and legend such as those from Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

I don't think its likely, and am not sure if I even want it to happen given all the potential options, but given how the Japanese have seceded violently, and that a swathe of Asia which is now Yu Jing experienced Imperial Japanese occupation in the Pacific War, resistance against which continues to be a key part of the Chinese historical narrative... I can see the Party responding to events by looking back to the 1930s and 40s for figures who represent resistance to Japanese imperialism for use in inspiring/unifying the populace. someone like Xie Jinyuan from the battle for the Sihang Warehouse in Shanghai for example.

12. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

A different take on it; with the recent failure of keeping nationalist pressure in check with a national army that was the JSA, it is now less likely for Yu Jing leadership to authorize the creation or maintainance of nationally identifying units - pressure on any such units to be subsumed into a pan-Yu Jing organisation will mount with increased diversification in recruitment.

Any nationalist icons offered by Aleph will be declined, favouring only those of approved nationalist leaning (the staunchest loyal ethnicities) or those not associated with nationalism divergent from the Yu Jing agenda.

In other words, no Korean troops, no Mongolian troops, etc, they're all going to have a huge influx of orimarily Han chinese and the trained soldiers dispersed among existing "chinese" regiments.

Section9 and Golem2God like this.
  13. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Okay, but can we at least get the Guilang Drill Sergeant?

He has seen things you wouldn't believe. He can also turn a Zanshi into a Guilang in six months.

14. Mahtamori

I'm on board. GDS NAO!

Aldo likes this.
  15. stargorger

stargorger Well-Known Member

Wow thanks. I don't like you too?

I'd prefer they stick to ancient/medieval history. The kenpeitai annoys me enough as it is, let's avoid any other 40's era soldiery pls :\

16. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

Arg, now all I'm thinking of is Norman Bethune, Recreation NWI Akbar Doctor, appearing in vanilla and Invincible Army lists where his talents complement YJ's large numbers of heavy infantry. Medical genius, hero in China, died helping China fight Japanese imperialism, not actually Chinese so free of minority populations feeling his presence is Han chauvinism, fought in the Spanish civil war so maaaaaybe CB has heard of him.

17. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

The majority of those nations are actually part of PanO.

the huanglong likes this.
  18. Warhydra

They wont be here to take up a large amount of design space either, which is fine by me. We ll do fine without them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

19. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

It'd be sweet to have Zhuge Liang have some sort of "master of remotes" role with his Feng Shui army.

20. Mahtamori

China specifically and east Asias in general are swarming with historically renowned generals and military leaders. There's no wonder Firaxis gave China increased Great General generation as a national bonus.

In general, I think what's missing is characters that build the faction's recognition, character and soul. Hua Mulan is excellent, Judge Dee (which is something I borrowed from someone else' idea over from old forums, might have been Section 9?) work the same way, but I think more generals isn't what's needed.

Most of all, Yu Jing is supposed to be a softer oppression than current or historical imperial China, so having champions of the People (by the People, for the People, and occasionally the Party as well so to speak) is important to dispel the no-face oppressor regime that's building up. In the same way as it's probably important for Pan-O to get characters that actually emphasises their vices to tell the story that Pan-O isn't actually the default utopia that democracy is trying to build (corporate commissars instead of political dittos and what nots). I know it's the YJ forums, but still, a beefed up CSU with Chain of Command for Pan-O (and then remove it from Kirpal).

Hecaton, Golem2God and stevenart74 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation