1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving around corners...

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by yuefei, Apr 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuefei

yuefei Member

Hey guys, just food for thought here, maybe we could come up with a standard or convention by which we could measure distance around corners, especially right-angle corners. I know this is not a major issue, but hey, we're on lockdown, what else are we gonna do? :P

The idea is that if a model wants to move around a corner, like a building for example, and hug the wall the entire time. you obviously can't move "through" a corner as if the model is incorporeal, which is a common mistake, but moving completely past the corner cheats you out of some movement distance. So what's a fair compromise?

I was thinking something like you move the model until at least 2/3 of the base is past the corner, and then assuming a right angle turn, you can continue to measure the remaining distance as if the remaining 1/3 of the model moves "through" the corner, to represent the model rotating around the corner, if that makes sense.
    I'm sure there's a math wiz that can figure out how much of the model actually needs to move past in this way...

Ceilican likes this.
  2. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

So the shortest distance around a corner would be to pivot on that corner as soon as the tip of the base reaches it, yeah?

and the movement distance would be the track opposite the corner. That would make a radius with the corner at the “center” and length equal to the full diameter of the base.
    Movement distance would be 1/4 of the full circle’s circumference.

Circumference is pi x diameter. Our base size is half the diameter. So (pi x (2b))/4, or (pi x base)/2.

For estimation sake, call pi 3. Movement distance around a corner is 1.5 x base size. Just convert base size to inches if you need imperial measurements.

3. yuefei

yuefei Member

Amazing, thank you! So if I read you correctly, you would move the base along the wall until the edge of the base touches the corner of the wall, then pivot the base along the corner point in such a way that the line of the other wall no longer intersects the base, then subtract the distance based on the formula, correct?

4. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

Yup. If I wasn’t posting from my phone, I’d make an illustration, but that’s the gist of it.

5. yuefei

yuefei Member

Then I believe this is the following:

25mm = 39.25mm = 1.5"
    40mm = 62.8mm = 2.5
    55 = 86.35mm = 3.4" (round up to 3.5 to simulate the fluidity of an actual trooper)
    EDIT: those numbers are wrong, this should be correct:
    • 25mm base: ~20mm or ~0.78in. (~25/32in.) (I'm rounding these up, to avoid giving extra movement.)
    • 40mm base: ~32mm or ~1.24in. (~1 and 1/4in.)
    • 55mm base: ~44mm or ~1.71in. (~1 and 23/32in.)
    • 70mm base: ~55mm or ~2.17in. (~2 and 3/16in.)

#5 yuefei, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Ceilican likes this.
  6. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

i'd measure the moving point as the middle of the base. when you move you calculate from one point to the same point after movement. you can divide that movement in tiny fraction, don't include any rotation for now. Just move the central point of the base circle.

imagine the model moving up (on a top down view drawing) with the wall on its right and arriving at a corner.

you should be able to move up and right around the corner point as the corner point displaces itself, gliding, left and back around you base. Once you complete your movement you get to change facing for free, as many time as you want anyway.

Mahtamori likes this.
  7. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Displacement of a fly that stays on the corner of a wall relative to the Fusilier.
    You get a measured distance of a quarter of circumference.

Now, displacement of the Fusilier relative to the fly on that corner, will be symmetric and the distance will be the same.

Replace the fly by a point on a corner wall, displacement of the Fusilier relative to the corner point, is what is the Move distance and path, as the corner point is the fixed terrain.

8. Confusion

Confusion Well-Known Member

Radius of the base, not diameter. So for a right angle corner, the distance would be π/4 times the base size.

• 25mm base: ~20mm or ~0.78in. (~25/32in.) (I'm rounding these up, to avoid giving extra movement.)
    • 40mm base: ~32mm or ~1.24in. (~1 and 1/4in.)
    • 55mm base: ~44mm or ~1.71in. (~1 and 23/32in.)
    • 70mm base: ~55mm or ~2.17in. (~2 and 3/16in.)
    The extra distance can't be more than the base diameter, if you think about it. Picture the footprint of the base touching the corner tangent to the wall it started in contact with, and the footprint touching the corner tangent to the adjacent wall. Those two circles overlap, and the base was touching the corner continuously during movement, so it can't have moved more than it's own diameter.

Alternatively, picture it moving past the corner a distance equal to the base diameter, then taking a right turn and moving along the target wall. It's turned the corner, but moved out of contact with the corner during the turn, and still only used extra movement equal to the base diameter.

#8 Confusion, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Robock and yuefei like this.
  9. wisefaiz

wisefaiz Well-Known Member

A 25 mm base is an inch, so when you get close to the corner, put another base in front of, and touching the moving model, put the model on the other side of the 'placement' base that's two inches of movement round the corner. You can use 3 bases lined up (I use my 25mm tokens), to do 4 inches of awkward movement!

10. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Taking the center of the base as the reference point, I agree with @Confusion that the distance to move around the corner itself is pi/4 times the base diameter. So, for a 1" base, 0.78". That's the length of the arc as the base slides around the corner.

But if you instead just measure a straight line, cutting through the corner slightly, the move distances is 0.71".

An error of 0.07" is not significant, so there's no need for a precalculated rotation factor here. Just measure it as best you can without undue effort, maybe cutting the corner slightly, and the result will be so close as to make no difference.

inane.imp likes this.
  11. Confusion

Confusion Well-Known Member

You get that extra movement for each corner, and it scales up with the base size. So, if you were say, moving an S4/7 around from the outside to the inside of an 'L'-shaped wall (making three right turns), you will have gained just over half an inch of extra movement.

12. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That is assuming you move from the exact point where you touch the corner to the exact point where you stop touching the corner which is from my experience not the case. The starting point is roughly where your miniature is peeking out and if you draw a straight line from that point you'll pay 1" movement to round the corner to the equivalent point on the other side.
    With strict measurements as the OP is calculating, you'll pay almost 0,5% just to move up to the corner and then you pay 0.71" to round it and then you pay a further 0,5" to get to the point where you've cleared the corner, so you actually gain a lot more than 0.07", closer to 0.57" in my rough estimate. Please refer to the crummy MS Paint

Left: Movement path when rounding corner
    Right: Movement path when going straight through
    Orange: Movement path
    Blue: Roughly equivalent of 0.71"
    Green: Unaccounted for distances, note how they are markedly larger on the left side.

Capture.JPG

So what I'm trying to say here is that the blue isn't significantly longer than the orange bend, but that's not the situation where people usually start from when they are measuring lazily from my own observations...

RobertShepherd likes this.
  13. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Ok yeah I meant "be slightly lazy," not "be very lazy" :-) Measure the approximate arc that seems accurate to you, and it'll be fine even if you wind up cutting the corner slightly. But if you instead measure a straight line right across the corner, yeah you'll get the wrong result.

If you move an S4 around 3 corners and you're only off by 1/2", I think you're doing pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation