1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move over edge to look below

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Lucian, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

That might sound nitpicky, but the description is pretty vague so I'd like to clarify it. Now that Lean-Out has been removed from the game, is it possible to move and look down from the building?

Move requirement now says:
    "The Trooper’s base must always be in contact with the surface on which they intend to move." instead of "base must be fully in contact with the surface" in N3. Similar to Inside/Totally inside for ZoC.
    https://infinitythewiki.com/index.php?title=Move
    This gives an opportunity to move over surfaces that at least half as wide as their base (as long as you end movement on valid surface). And that brings some questions:
    1. Can you use it to move over the edge of the roof up to half the base width and back to get LoF to units below?
    2. Can you combine it with movement over an obstacle to be able to walk (up to half the base width) through the window outside the building and back? Peek out of the window, so to say?
    3. Do you still get cover from units below since you are in contact with surface and at least half the base covered?

2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

You don't need to do it to see units below you. You'll see them just by standing at the edge of the roof.

That said, there will occasionally be times when you can get a better angle by poking part of your base out over a precipice. I see no reason why you couldn't, given the wording and diagrams in the Move rule. And I would think you'd get cover, for the reasons you state.

Windows are sort of their own thing. They tend to get house rules like other scenery elements. RAW I don't think you can move through them unless they're taller than your silhouette (otherwise you bump your forehead), but there are some fairly common house rules allowing movement through them. Whether you can move out and back through them will depend on how you and your opponent have agreed to play them.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I like it, I do think this will work as a replacement for Lean Out and it meshes a lot better with rules simplicity, even if it is a bit of an obscure thing to do.

I think the issue of Cover is a non-issue given how Cover works. So my answers are:
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes, but remember that Windows are Access Points by default so this lean out won't work on Windows.
    3. Yes, but only from units at a lower altitude.

inane.imp and Daniel Darko like this.
  4. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't it work with Windows?

I figure I'm missing something with how Access Points work.

5. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

I don't see it either. The window can't be smaller than Narrow Gate, and It allows troopers with S2 to pass through:

Access Width (AW)
    In Infinity, the scenery used on the table to simulate the game and mission settings is usually made up of buildings with different kinds of access points, such as a doorway, a window, etc.

This section describes the different types of access points regarding their size and which Troopers are allowed to pass through them. There are two possible Access Widths:
    • Narrow. This access point is only big enough for Troopers with a Silhouette Attribute of 2 or lower. It is marked by a Narrow Gate Token (NARROW GATE).
    NOTE
    In Infinity, gates and accesses are always considered to be open, not blocking Line of Fire, unless a special rule or scenario condition says otherwise.

https://infinitythewiki.com/index.php?title=Scenery_Structures

6. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Someone went and did it, okay lets open that can of worms before the FAQ.

Options you get from the new rule that only half your Silhouette needs to be supported, combined with the examples showing that it applies both to narrow gaps and pathways:

- Clip half your base through the wall when rounding corners to gain a quarter inch extra Movement.
    - Clip half your base through anything you can vault and move back to gain LOF to the other side

meikyoushisui likes this.
  7. inane.imp

Why is this a can of worms?

Mahtamori likes this.
  8. Teslarod

What the new ruletext is intended to enable is this:
    upload_2020-10-24_11-15-43.png
    Clipping half your base through any obstacle on your movement path, doesn't just make you faster. It also lets you avoid vaulting sometimes, keeping your cover and avoids resulting AROs from that vault. Gets better the faster you are to begin with (since you'll have to end your move in a legal position).
    Moving half over a ledge to gain LOF from a point with your base half in the air, is mechanically sound, but not sure if CB saw it coming.
    Maybe this doesn't look much at first glance, thing S7 TAG for a second. With that base size you can easily shave off 2" from your movement distance passing a cargo crate or building.

For now that just works, but it isn't intuitive (meaning you and I can use it, but out opponents might not be aware this is a thing) and not backed by an example to make sure CB wants that to work that way for anything other than passing narrow alleys.

#8 Teslarod, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  9. inane.imp

My question wasn't "how is this possible?" but rather "why is this an issue?"

Savnock, Mahtamori and chromedog like this.
  10. Teslarod

Why would a million bucks showing up on my bank account be a problem?
    I don't mind free money.
    But I'd want to know if it's okay to keep it before I buy that Ferrari.

Icchan likes this.
  11. Mahtamori

Hmm, seems like they either changed how Access Points work or they didn't fully explain how to handle a unit only partially moving through a window. (As in; how do I fit this pewter miniature halfway through the MDF wall?)

In N3 you'd need to place the miniature on the other side of the Access Point when using it, but it seems now you just ghost on through meaning a window is basically semi-permeable wall sections. Makes for some pretty difficult to check LOFs, though.

12. inane.imp

^ Perhaps implicitly they've accepted you can phase through terrain up to half you base width is just a thing.

13. inane.imp

So: related issue.

When you clip into terrain and you base extends through the other side of the terrain, how do you determine LOF?

- I assume that you're still in Total Cover, and any part of your sill that 'clips' through the otherside of the wall is ignored. Because otherwise, madness.

#13 inane.imp, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Olkioum, Mahtamori and WiT? like this.
  14. inane.imp

This kinda became a thing on Discord - so I built pictures to illustrate one of the most controversial implications of this interpretation.

We know that a Trooper with 4-4 Move and S2 can start in position A, pass through B and end up in position C.

[​IMG]
    Moving around corners with obstacle.png

So it follows that, this is also true:

Moving around corners.png [​IMG]

#14 inane.imp, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Teslarod, meikyoushisui, WiT? and 2 others like this.
  15. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

If so, then it means you can move through walls as long as 1mm or other minute part of your base sticks out in the open. I'm pretty sure that's not intended, it just might not have been worded to exclude.

upload_2020-10-25_15-48-40.png

16. inane.imp

The pertinent rule is "Any surface they move on must be at least half as wide as their base." Implicitly (and as shown in the examples) width is perpendicular to the direction of movement. With that definition, your example is not legal because the surface isn't "half as wide" - rather it's 1/25th as wide (in reference to the direction of movement).

This would also serve to stop a Maggie moving from in vicinity of position B, through a 0.5" gap, to in vicinity of position C. Over half of the Maggie's base would be on the surface they move on, but - in the direction of the Maggie's travel - the gap is not half as wide as the Maggie's base.

#16 inane.imp, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  17. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

My personal practice is going to be to assume that you may only squeeze when doing so is necessary. Therefore I reject your second example.

chromedog, Olkioum, coleslaw and 4 others like this.
  18. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Would be weird to go faster through s corner gap in a wall than you do going around a corner.

Personally, free movement yay about sums it up. So bad feels are gonna happen without a determination on how it works

inane.imp likes this.
  19. Mahtamori

I think above all else the new squeeze rules are meant to solve the relatively common situation where a unit rounds a corner.

Instead of spending time doing trigonometry to find out that moving around a 90 degree corner loses you almost an inch in movement, people just bend their ruler around the corner because it's much quicker and easier (and saves them a large portion of an inch)
    So they just made the rules easier to accommodate the easier and quicker way of playing.

So yeah, I think Inane.imp's second picture is not only correct but also at the core of what they were trying to achieve.

chromedog likes this.
  20. inane.imp

My principal issue is that if the second scenario is not legal then it's quicker to move around a corner when you're squeezing past an obstacle than if the corner is completely unobstructed.

The same path has two different results depending on where the second building is.

I find that absurd.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation