1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modock's orange trippers (Nomads) and the rise of Dawn (Ariadna)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Modock, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

Thanks Maru for the feedback, this is always welcome. I'm trying to find a decent recipe for white, another problem I get is when
    taking photos of white (actually with any color) my camera kinda unifies the tones. I lose a lot of contrast. In the pics white
    looks like flat white/light grey in reality there's quite contrast to it. Going from medium grey to pure white but it's not showing in the pics.
    I use Nikon D5300 with AF-P 18-55 VR lens. Does someone have any tips?

#21 Modock, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. maru

maru Well-Known Member

a lot of tips :)
    first of use NEF format as a default (RAW ) this keep way more colours and countraST and you can get this fixed later
    other thing i d to not use to low F or to high as this will cut a light to much or let way to much
    in case of black backdrop or white ones this require completly different settings
    other is use iso 100 the white range of details is 1/3 of whole light spectrum of this camera rest is black - so you whant to get as much range in bright tones - you may try a white backdrop or grey neutral (white will burn the photo) neutral grey will give you most of of tonal range but poor contrast - but this can be fixed easy in case of b;lack hard part is a level when a contrast get cut off - other thing is a Nicon specyfic that make red more vibrant and blue and grey way lighter then compared to lets say Sony or Olympus

3. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

Great, thanks Maru. I take my pics in raw format as you said and ISO is set to 100 and F11-F13. I raise F to 22 for army photos.
    I'll try some adjustment suggested.

4. maru

maru Well-Known Member

no no f 22 is way to high - you will loos a lot of light and sharpnes in favor of depth of field
    but try - it may actualy increrse grey scale colours but i was thinking about F 7 ~9 - depth of field is shalow but light that get in is way bigger so colours should be better replicated - but this is just theory - you need to check as all digital cameras got there own problems
    o and set colours to ADOBE theme - should widen a grey scale and mute reds

5. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

F11-13 should be fine if you use a tripod and longer exposure times. Most lenses loose some sharpness with extreme settings, so F22 should be tested.

Modock likes this.
  6. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

I use tripod with remote control release for maximum stability and accuracy.

zapp likes this.
  7. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Then you should check if you can use mirror lock-up too (maybe you have to enable, maybe it comes default in some modes). Even less vibrations.
    Also worth is investigating the quality of the lamps, and using flash (off camera, if you have one, or at least bounced/redirected for the in camera one).

TheMethOfCookingArt and Modock like this.
  8. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

Oh, cool I will check that option in my camera. I will post a picture of my set up. I have two pair of bulbs,
    23W (daylight 6500K) fluorescent bulbs and 13W(4000K) LED bulbs. Tsyklon pictures were taken
    under Led bulbs. I really need to sort this problem, It gets on my nerves.

9. maru

maru Well-Known Member

you know what - post a jpg incuding Exif data - will check something may be set wrong

jherazob likes this.
  10. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

This is the EXIF data for Tsyklon picture. Will this be ok?

Camera
    NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D5300

Date of Creation
    2018:03:24 18:21:37

Resolution
    1077x1694

Make
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model
    NIKON D5300

Aperture..............13
    Exposure Time....1/8 (0.125 sec)
    Focal Length........32.0 mm
    Flash....................No Flash
    file Size................1551 kB
    File Type..............JPEG
    MIME Type...........image/jpeg
    Image Width........1077
    Image Height.......1694
    Encoding Process....Progressive DCT, Huffman coding
    Bits Per Sample..........8
    Color Components.....3
    X Resolution..........72
    Y Resolution..........72
    Software................GIMP 2.8.22
    YCbCr Sub Sampling........YCbCr4:4:4 (1 1)
    YCbCr Positioning.............Unknown (0)
    Exposure Program.............Manual
    Date and Time (Original)....2018:03:24 18:21:37
    Date and Time (Digitized)...2018:03:24 18:21:37
    Max Aperture Value.............4.4
    Metering Mode..........Multi-segment
    Light Source..............Cool White Fluorescent
    Color Space..............Unknown (0)
    Exposure Index.........N/A
    Sensing Method........One-chip color area
    F Number..................13
    Exposure Compensation...N/A
    ISO...........................100, 100
    Orientation Horizontal (normal)

11. maru

maru Well-Known Member

Color Space..............Unknown (0) - should be Adobe
    Light Source..............Cool White Fluorescent ?? - your light bulbs they got light specyfied ? (ye they have ) 4000k for led should be Neutral white
    (daylight 6500K) - this is so called studio day light cold im using 5600 k
    so basicly set WB manualy to current lamps you use so set manualy to 4000k or 6500 k

it is a nice and quics explanation
    this should solve a lot of problems and ADOBE color space should add depths to the grey and white and cut a bit from red and green

Golem2God, Modock and jherazob like this.
  12. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks this makes things a lot clearer. Yes the bulbs used are 4000K, too bad i can't set the white balance by number just with bulb options
    like "Light Source..............Cool White Fluorescent". I need to check that abode seting. Yes it's already on adobe.

13. maru

maru Well-Known Member

this is damn strange DLRS shoud have a numerical setting .. but any way you should have a set from source
    use this - set whole scene turn on lamps then put there a white "template" (like a white paper ) then use calibration - it will set WB to current situation and then you got this calibrated correctly
    other thing this 4000k lamps are fluorescent long lamps ot it is other way newer light source ? as in case of old long lamps color corection is way harder as light spectrum is actualy not complete in case of this old lamp emissions - so what lamps are thous ??

14. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

I'll try to set white balance manually. These are new LED bulbs. Really appreciate all the help, Maru.

15. Mob of Blondes

Another thing to test, the lamp spectrum. Get a CD, the silver kind (factory stamped, not home burnt). With only the light you want to test on, look at the rainbow streaks in the CD surface. Smooth rainbows are OK (compare to Sun), if you see really bright spikes in some colors and others nearly missing, use different lamps, the fluorescent coating or light emitters are not good for photos because they will change colors a lot.
    All this is approximate (visual, not exact measurements), but if the rainbows are really weird, try different lamps. Lamp CRI is a helper when reading the lamp boxes, but not a warranty (you can get ones with >85 and still be bad, but a 70 is going to be bad).

Section9, Golem2God, Modock and 2 others like this.
  16. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

Will try that as well.

17. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

As promised here is my photo set up.

[​IMG]

I made a few changes in my camera settings suggested by Maru and others. I played with white balance a bit, used grey background for manual setting. Lowered F and few other things.
    I pretty sure the colours are more accurate but I still can't fix the contrast issue.

Here is my latest mini.

[​IMG]

#37 Modock, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Wizzy, burlesford, xammy and 11 others like this.
  18. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Wow, great job!
    Is the base scratchbuilt?

Modock likes this.
  19. Mob of Blondes

Have you touched up the background or what looks grey in the table image becomes black in the final images due camera settings?

20. maru

maru Well-Known Member

new fotos are way better
    the thing i c is a bit over blown photo - over exposed would say 0.3 over exposed
    even saturation feel right - you may try to crank up saturation of colours if they do not look enught saturated as strong light "eats up " saturation

Modock likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation