1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mnemonica + Chain of Command interaction.

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Dejmien, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Dejmien

Dejmien Member

Hi.

AI host with Mnemonica enters NULL state and Caliban CoC is on the table.
    Both skills triggers on entering Null state.
    Can I move Lt skill on to Caliban and Mnemonica skill with 16/17 Wip but without Lt skill on Bit?

BR
    D.

2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Here's my guess:

1. Current Lt enters Null state
    2. I activate both Mnemonica and Chain of Command
    3. Chain of Command doesn't say when it takes effect, so presumably it takes effect immediately and the Caliban becomes the Lt.
    4. We reach the end of the order, and Mnemonica takes effect: "Once activated, this transfer is automatic at the end of the Order in which the user entered the Null State."

Mnemonica says "If the Mnemonica Trooper was also the army's Lieutenant, the host becomes the new Lieutenant." And the Mnemonica Trooper was in fact the Lt when Mnemonica was activated, so this kicks in and isn't optional.

So if you try to activate both, the Caliban momentarily becomes the new Lt, but at the end of the order, Bit becomes the new Lt.

Not a very satisfying reading, but I haven't thought of a better way to resolve it.

3. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

4. might also check for LT at the time of resolution, at which point the Caliban is the LT?

4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Both seem to be able to activate at the same condition and during the same order - so that means you basically have to choose whether Chain of Command takes effect or whether the Lieutenant skill transfers along with the WIP of the first LT.
    If you activate Chain of Command the Lieutenant skill will be awarded to the Caliban, if you don't the Lieutenant skill will transfer along with the WIP

5. Dejmien

Dejmien Member

Thank you.

6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Both skills have the optional label therefore the player chooses which of them activates.

7. QueensGambit

The question is what happens when the player chooses to activate both of them, hoping that the WIP attribute will transfer through Mnemonica and the Lt status will transfer through CoC.

8. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There is also precedents for how an Optional action can allow the player to avoid performing an Obligatory action (see Dogged vs Explode L1).

But yeah, in this case it's fairly simply. Whether there is a race condition or not, Chain of Command will "win" since it will strip the previous LT of being LT either before Mnemonica moves it or strip it off the new Mnemonica unit. The basic/important rule of Lieutenant ensures that this does not result in several Lieutenants.
    It is, of course, vitally important to know whether the new Mnemonica host is ever Lieutenant in missions where Lieutenantship is a plague that you don't want to spread onto too many units. While I strongly dislikes how this status is treated as a plague, I would suggest that maybe in those missions opt to not use either ability.

9. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Oh I see, I did not understand the question asked then, I agree with @Mahtamori both skills cannot coexist.

10. QueensGambit

Well, @Mahtamori 's argument is that they can indeed coexist, in that you can send your WIP to one trooper and your lt status to a different trooper :-)

11. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Let's see...

Chain Of Command requirement is "The player can only activate this Special Skill when the Lieutenant enters Isolated State or any Null State."
    Mnemonica requirement is: "In order to activate this Special Skill, the user must enter a Null state."
    Both are optional.

If the Mnemomina Lt goes NULL, you get the option to activate the different skills.
    CoC on the relevant model => He became Lt
    Mnemonica on the now-null model => Transfert of WIP and Mnemonica skill.

I see no problem there, as long a it is not FAQed as not possible...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation