1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mining Outpost terrain suggestions

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by LankyOgreBP, Oct 15, 2018.

1. LankyOgreBP

LankyOgreBP Well-Known Member

I'm creating a mining outpost table and I've got a bunch of buildings and rocky outcroppings built. What would you suggest for cover and scatter terrain?
    I have some sandbags and oil drums, but not enough for the whole table. Should I do some low rocks, that just provide cover? Chain link fence? How would you play fences on the table? Just block movement but no effect on shooting?
    I know I need to get the buildings and wooden structures painted. I'm having trouble linking actual pictures though.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

When I was playing Mali faux I built a mining area with railroad pieces Going into a mineshaft. Then some industial pieces to process the ore.

You can't use western style trofts in infinity. But some flexible tracts with moderns industrial train beds could be used as along wall with gaps.

3. kesharq

kesharq Lucky Dice-Roller

I would take lots of crates (Mix of wooden & metal ones), small technical Buildings like Condensators/cooling units/small Pumpstations/Solar Arrays (size like the more Urban Advertising TriSign etc.), small and large Containers (like from Operations Icestorm/Red Veil/Coldfront/JSA Box/Comanche Base) and perhaps some vehicles like Bulldozers and the like (1:50 is just a little bit smaller than Infinity scale).

4. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

There's also a drill rig kit out there from one of the more adventurous terrain makers. Might have been Zen Terrain?

For scatter: loaders, especially automated ones. Again I think it's Zen who has one, but have seen several. Could be either the forklift kind or dumptruck-looking skips that carry ore.

Robot/automated drone workers. Old Battletech clix minis can also be adapted to that pretty easily: they had a whole bunch of industrial-looking ones with forklift arms, drill bits, etc.

A few antennae and solar panels to break up rooftops (or even at ground level) would look good.

Lots of pipes could also be used, drawing off gasses from whatever's being mined (and providing convenient cover while doing so!).

5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

On his construction site terrain thread, @Asgeir took some construction site toys that would have been the wrong scale, and removed the driver cab. Voila! Instant autonomous vehicles. Maybe you could find some vehicles suitable for a mine site and do the same thing. That'd be an easy way to get some extra cover.

6. LankyOgreBP

LankyOgreBP Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions. I'm trying to do much of it on the cheap, but I'll look through these ideas. I'm probably going to start with solar panels, pipes, and crates, but I'll see what I can work up to.

7. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Colonial Marines powerloaders!

Xeurian, chromedog and jherazob like this.
  8. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Rock piles. Mining sites are bringing tons of rock out of the ground. Most of it is useless. It tends to be dumped nearby in one big pile, but various mounds could be scattered about the place. Chunk up some foam, glue it in a pile, liberally apply your rock paint colors.

As to fencing, yeah chain link should just prevent movement, but no visual mods. More robust fencing could maybe be treated as a saturation zone?

Xeurian and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation