1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magister Knights Resculp Problem

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by eciu, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Brimat

Brimat Well-Known Member

And thats the reason for me to skip the new ones. :) I will just keep the 6 i already have.

daboarder and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  2. injenegr

injenegr Well-Known Member

Oh, come on, stop whinig, nothing bad happent this time! They're heavy and hot! Despite having 6 old ones i'll totally buy a new box. Though shoulder mounted PF were much better (from all sides) and new ones look much like a HRL of some sort. Shame they are not, i could use a SWC-cheap template in my fireteam(

3. Doa

Doa Well-Known Member

MAybe the new sculpt will come with new rule for magister
    Maybe no more panzerfaust but HRL profile
    We talked a lot about how FT magister+hospitaller overshadow others models and CV change the weapons
    From PZ+BS to CR and option with HRL or ML

4. Valette

Valette Active Member

Man, I find this frustrating. I wanted new magisters, and hoped CB would make them a bit more bulky and improve their helmet design. They've done both, and I really like that they have swords/scabbards at their sides. But, these for me are the problems:
    • Undynamic. They should be running. Most of the MO models are either stationary, or stomping forwards - that's really good. Magisters, like their old sculpts, should be charging. It's in their background and in their rules and its how their most fun to play.
    • I personally don't like the hand-held panzerfaust - not too fussed on this point though.
    • Dames. I want my Catholic brotherhood of 11th Century themed warrior monks to be men only.
    I could get a couple of boxes/split-box and convert on of the panzerfausts into a missile launcher, and maybe make a couple of other conversions to give myself maybe 4 new male magisters, but they're all going to be a static mono-pose.

Maybe I'll just spend a bit of timing converting my old ones instead - might give them 'ear-style' antennae rather than goofy mono-aerials.

But yeah, I think this is a case where CB have improved the things that were not great, and made worse the things that were good, which is a shame.

5. MrNailbrain

MrNailbrain Relentless Optimist

I will say that I do like the etched shoulder detail and I wish that more Knights had that. I enjoy doing freehand on shoulder pads for one off knights (Joan, de Fersen, KotHS, other knights you field only one of...) but doing freehand crosses on all 4 Hospitaller knights almost put me in the loony bin.

I’ll echo other sentiments that I wish they had some running poses. It’s very thematic and I like the dynamism it brings to the unit.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

We are not on the 11th century though, so dames not only make sense they should exist given the fluff, I am sure there will be people happy to split the box so you only get male knights.

Since I have not commented it, I love the change them not having tabards.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  7. yojamesbo

yojamesbo purchaser of car seats

@Valette: PS's facile "it's not the 11th century" remark notwithstanding, you're hardly alone in your view.

We had running debates about lady knights back on the old forum, but it's not really worth retreading again. If you weren't there, it boiled down to those of us on one side who wanted the Church and religious orders to look like, well, the Church and religious orders. On the other side were the sort of people who think that because it happens to be year X, of course there'll be coed religious orders. Dames and knights, bunking together, showering together, it's all very modern. Vows of chastity are out along with 2000 years of history and practice; all you need to be a "crusader" in this setting is some power armor and a liberal arts degree.

CB made its decision. Your ray of hope is that they said the lady knights are extremely rare, so this may be all you get. At the end of the day, your army is your own, and there's no reason you have to view them exactly the way CB wants you to.

Anyway . . .

[​IMG]

8. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

@yojamesbo please keep this thread clean ok ?

(or at least use spoiler option)

Thanks in advance.

9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

CB (Interruptor) said that there wasn't a release slot coming up (a couple of years back now) that would be suitable for female knight models. To the best of my knowledge, it's never been said that they're extremely rare.

yojamesbo likes this.
  10. yojamesbo

yojamesbo purchaser of car seats

You may be right. I could have sworn that back in the prior back and forth someone cited another remark of his to that effect. But I am working from memory here, so I may also be wrong on that. Either way!

11. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I'm the same, don't remember the precise quote.
    But I thought it was more among the lines of "just less common", not "extremely rare".

yojamesbo likes this.
  12. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

I'm glad Magisters got a resculpt. It's an asset for new players. especially since MO is a natural first army for beginners coming from other systems. A box of Hospitallers, a box of Magisters, and they're in a decent position to start playing.

For those of us who have been with the hobby a long time, this box naturally carries a lot of surprises.

The gender thing doesn't bother me. Archaic laws are archaic, but I respect that others have strong feelings on the topic. I don't have strong feelings.

But expecting every Magister to go into combat holding one of those noob tubes is silly. When they're carrying that, and a sword, and that new light shotgun (noone's lamented the disappearance of the very cool sidearm-style PanO light shotgun?) they lose their agile, aggressive look and just seem weighed down by all that kit.

Imagining all the Magisters trying to Dodge at effective PH17 while holding that huge tube launcher doesn't do it for me. I like Magisters because their loadouts made a lot of cool, practical sense: sword in one hand, shotgun in the other, and a 3rd weapon system (a very powerful one) that was hands-free from a miniaturized launcher.

As long as it appeals to new MO players though, no objections.

13. Skoll

Skoll Well-Known Member

I second the more dynamic look of the old sculpts.

Also mourn the old light shotgun design.

Its not like cb doesnt know how to do dynamic sculpts. The new oniwaban and heck the new tankos look more dynamic than the magisters.

I like the new art design of the magisters (except for the panzerfausts we borrowed from ariadna) the female power armor design bothers me because the frame of the female knights is either rail thin or their power armor is incredibly more advanced and fits like another layer of skin.

At some points i prefer boobplate as an identifier over just making the female power armor incredibly thin

14. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Original Gutier quote for anyone who was looking for it.

Q. Why are there not many female Knights in Military Orders? Will this be changed?

A. There is no ban on female Knights, but they are mainly male in the fluff. Certainly nothing is planned to change this in the next six months but CB are aware that they could release some female knights in the future.

This discrepancy is partially because box sets only contain two torsos and generally both are male as they are most common and this is the aesthetic effect they want for the army. This also serves to highlight how special Joan is as a female character.

source is Phylk and his blog Lead Rising
    http://www.lead-rising.com/2017/08/gutiers-q-at-interplanetary-2017.html

15. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

The new light shotgun bothers me less, possibly because I simply disliked the old one (despite loving the concept).

16. Fauzt

Fauzt New Member

Where did these get posted at to begin with? I'm new and not really sure where the big news ends up.

17. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Well, the dossier and renders were shown in the seminar at Adepticon.

Some low-rez images taken on cell phones (or captured from the live stream on Facebook posted on WGC Infinity) have been being discussed for a couple of days.

The high-rez images were posted on the Infinity Facebook group today, which were re-posted earlier in this thread.

This is pretty much the cycle for new reveals of units which aren't first shown in the monthly releases (in which case there might be a "sniper shot" zoomed in teaser image, followed by the immediate reveal of the painted miniatures).

We probably won't get to see the painted minis 'till they are up for release, but sometimes you get to see things early if you follow Angel (the CB painter) on Facebook as he posts images of stuff as he does it.

18. Karvitch

Karvitch New Member

They are disposable, so compact. Multiple pieces that click together when needed and a couple of rounds. So when they are in storage they are not bulky at all. There are examples of small and compact launchers already in military today. (M72 LAW sits at only 24inches unloaded and 2.5kg) so it would be easy to imagine that in the future that they have developed:
    A) multi piece disposable launcher that clicks together or
    B) some form of launcher that can fold or extend telescopically to use.

As far as only one model having a panzerfaust, that sits OK with me as it gives dynamics to the unit and it is easy for me to believe that the others either used theirs already or have not used them yet so don't have them out.

19. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Sweet, glad you like the new sculpts.

I'll mention that what you're describing is the Infinity DEP, which has its own rules. The compact nature and disposability that you're describing is why the DEP is only Disposable(1) and has different rangebands. It's description even hints on the traits you're describing; it's compact and readily disposable.

Panzerfausts, by contrast, are envisioned by CB as being more along the lines of a stinger launcher (look at the Jaguar in Nomads and you'll see it's pretty similar.) For Nomads, Haqq, Ariadna, even Yu Jing, they're big heavy shoulder launchers with a lot of length and multiple launch tubes.

PanO was the exception to this design rule, which stylistically was very cool. That's why some of us are sad that it went away... PanO was able to take a weapon that's 4-5 feet long for other factions, and miniaturize it into something that's about the size of the little orange retail box the Magisters will come in. Instead of an explosive projectile that's a couple of feet long, the PanO Panzerfaust was about the size of a cigar but hit just as hard.

I get the change. CB's got a packed release schedule. Recreating the shoulder launchers would require sculpting something fresh, whereas they already had the CAD for the Yu Jing shoulder launcher all done and ready to go. But it does erode one of the things that made Magisters iconically cool.

Barrogh, eciu and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  20. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Thing is,

The aquila already has it.....they've built the CAD design for the damn things, they just havent used it.

AdmiralJCJF and barakiel like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation