1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lore interpretations of game effects

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Nemo No Name, Aug 13, 2018.

1. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Fireteam bonuses might be hard to articulate as words of encouragement.

Abrilete likes this.
  2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

And tell the enemy what you're trying to do out loud?

Are you insane?!?

Pen-dragon, xagroth and chromedog like this.
  3. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Nobody can understand Morat hoots, but they know exactly what to do...

4. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Have you ever heard Swiss German ?

Robtor, Deltervees and Ben Kenobi like this.
  5. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

:joy::joy::joy:

EDIT: I like my neighbor, but I can hardly understand them if they talk fast.

6. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

[​IMG]

theGricks, Berjiz, xagroth and 3 others like this.
  7. Section9

No, but I did have a Swiss exchange student in the group in Japan. He said that the language drift in Switzerland was so bad that you struggled to understand the folks in the next valley over.

AdmiralJCJF, Hecaton and eciu like this.
  8. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Yep.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  9. Andergdet

Andergdet Member

Here in the Basque Country (Northern Spain) we had to invent a "uniformed" Basque so we could understand each other. I have difficulties communicating with people that live 30km away.

xagroth likes this.
  10. TriggerPuller9000

TriggerPuller9000 Poverty Orde Wingate

Great point - I'd be cool with Isolated state only applying to Troops outside of Zone of Control of a friendly Trooper.

As a guy who spent his entire military service speaking that Army's language as a second language, 'doing what everybody else is doing' is an extremely effective way of operating in a team environment. :joy::the_horns:

chromedog likes this.
  11. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Obviously CB is going with "If I don't know what I'm doing, so does my enemy" philosophy.

12. Niebieskooki

Niebieskooki Blue Sun Lieutenant

As much sense as it would make, it would also made an Order Count phase a nightmare when trying to define which order can certain unit use and which can't.

#32 Niebieskooki, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  13. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Using only the most basic calculus we could have reduced order effectiveness as the distance increases.

14. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that in Infinity, processing speed, fantastic sensor capability and basic "dumb" AI is so widespread that if you actually said what you intended to do out loud, even if you were hiding in a building fifty yards away, you'd be 1) recorded and picked out from other background noises, 2) your words would be instantly translated from whatever language you said them in, and 3) the tactical relevance of those orders would be instantly available to the enemy forces you're fighting.

So really, you'd want everything to be transmitted on a secure communication system, no verbal commands etc. Hacking into that system would be a huge advantage and therefore protocols to protect against that would be critically important. In fact, perhaps that is why LoL hits so hard, in an age of infowarfare, you need every order to be properly authenticated and electronically verified. Someone telling you to charge that MG position, don't worry they don't know you're there? Yeahhhhh I just saw the LT get nailed, I'm just going to check that is a legitimate order and not some hacker getting me to pop out of cover and get mown down

Deltervees, Pen-dragon, saint and 5 others like this.
  15. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Incoming Order: "All 4 other members of your fireteam are impersonators: shoot shoot shoot!"

edit: come to think of it if you can share orders while isolated Impersonators should be able to spend their orders on nearby enemy troops.

Balewolf likes this.
  16. Section9

Point 2 is actually explicitly part of Infinity. 'Lingua Quantronica', aka comlog translation. It's literally so common that even the Ateks comlogs can do it!

Abrilete and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  17. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

They make a point, in the RPG, of pointing out that your PCs may not all speak the same language.

Which is normally fine as everyone has their Comlog translating for them live...

Except when they don't.

Abrilete likes this.
  18. Section9

Yeah, my forum RP character's commlog got hacked and dropped offline in the middle of combat. Fortunately for me, that was after the shooting started, and unfortunately for the two motorcycle gangers they were in the same room as an angry Uberfallkommando.

19. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I'd wager there's also a nomad-only gesture based "shorthand" (a non-military version of the usual handsignals) or if not Nomad only, one that is only used by those who work in or around shipyards/zero-G areas [Like how Ceres Belter* in "The Expanse" has both the patois AND an associated system of gestures - that "Havelock" (the earther "Star Helix" cop partnered to Miller ) was trying to learn alongside the spoken form. According to the writers, Ceres, Tycho, and the other major belter installations all have their own dialects and associated body languages - they may know how to speak and be understood by other belters using the "common" stuff, but can also choose to use "local" to cut outsiders out.

It's not too hard to believe. I know of at least three different ways people can "count" on their fingers (a lot of people DON'T start with the thumb as "1" - and that's before you get to binary or hex finger counting.

Section9 likes this.
  20. Section9

Wouldn't doubt that in the slightest.

I've heard that there's no 'standardized Special Ops sign-language', apparently all the different teams have made up their own variations. So getting assigned to a new team means working together enough to re-learn the sign.

Abrilete and chromedog like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation