1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Localized Decompression, in Theory and Practice

Discussion in 'ITS' started by Lawson, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Hey all, on a bit more philosophical note, I was considering the preponderance of "Localized Decompression" (Zero-G, Saturation Zone) templates in ITS 12 missions, both from a narrative standpoint as well as a gameplay and design standpoint.

I'm not really familiar with the storyline of season 12, but I think the idea of spontaneous zero gravity zones (and only zero gravity... no other types of terrain) is a bit odd unless you assume that all of these missions are taking place on space-platforms or in some weird STALKER-esque exclusion zone where the laws of physics don't apply. Wondering if there's any narrative excuse for this or if it's purely there to service the game mechanically - with various terrain types/combos to choose from in the rulebook, it seems like a very intentional thing to create such templates and make them the only kind in any of the season 12 missions.

Re: the mechanisms - again I don't have much background on this storyline (or past ITS) so I'm a bit unclear on whether every season of ITS picks one zone type and sticks with it, or if others have more variety. Does Zero-G in this instance benefit particular factions more than others or is it generally an insignificant choice to consider bringing figures with Terrain(Total) or Terrain(Zero-G)? Since these can be placed almost anywhere on the table that they fit, are there any deployment shenanigans that people frequently resort to when placing their templates?

In terms of effect, the net result of such terrain seems to be both a general slowdown of movement, obviously (especially when placed in chokepoints and/or near objectives) as well as a slight benefit in favor of ARO shooting (since an active figure with a Burst value higher than 1 will be reduced, but an ARO of B1 will not get reduced to zero). I'm wondering if this is an intentional design decision either to motivate certain kinds of play, or to compensate for issues suffered in previous ITS seasons. From a philosophical gameplay standpoint, why do we think the designers of these scenarios included these templates?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation