1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning to play again

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by superfurrymaniac, Oct 14, 2021.

1. superfurrymaniac

superfurrymaniac New Member

So for a bit of background, I played probably 10 games or so of N3 and have played N4 once. I'd say have a reasonable grasp of the rules, but definitely not when it comes to any kind of strategy.

I'm planning to get back to playing again with a friend who hasn't played at all before, and as it stands we'll just be using my stuff.

We'll probably start with the obvious 3 line troopers each and likely only end up progressing to relatively small games since it won't be something we play together a lot (I'll be getting back to the local club for full sized games).

I have the Nomad halves of Icestorm and Beyond and Crimson Stone and Beyond, and would appreciate thoughts on how people would suggest best splitting that into 2 balanced opposing forces, ideally following the Operation style intro of adding a new thing each game but probably ending up at about 200 points.

If it makes any difference I do plan to get the support and remote pack when they're available.

2. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

So would it be Nomads versus Nomads? If so, you might wish to start it with Code One to ease back into the game. A major part for learning N4 for me was forgetting the N3 rules and trying to start fresh. By beginning with Code One would keep you and your friend from being overwhelmed. You can play all but the Reverend Healer and Spektr, which you could use for proxies.

@theclaw at Fast Panda Gaming did a wonderfully informative Crimson Stone mission series on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdsPIlRlECGxhTISKw5NjRg)

If you still wish to play full N4 with your friend, lets organize everything. To keep it initially simple, I will use the N4 units a profiles:

Icestorm:
    Icestorm
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]7
    ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 10)
    SPEKTR (Hacker, Hacking Device) Combi Rifle ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 35)
    GRENZER MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Breaker Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 32)
    MOBILE BRIGADA MULTI Rifle, Light Flamethrower / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 35)
    REVEREND HEALER MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, EXP CC Weapon. (0 | 35)
    2 SWC | 167 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Beyond Icestorm:
    Beyond Icestorm
    [​IMG]3
    KRIZA BORAC (360º Visor) Mk12, Submachine Gun ( ) / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 57)
    HELLCAT Spitfire / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 30)
    INTRUDER (X Visor) MULTI Sniper Rifle ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 42)
    3 SWC | 129 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Crimson Stone:
    Crimson Stone
    [​IMG]7
    SOMBRA (Hacker, Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle, Light Shotgun ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 43)
    HELLCAT Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 24)
    EVADER AP Spitfire, D-Charges / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 29)
    INTRUDER Heavy Machine Gun, Grenades / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 41)
    3.5 SWC | 167 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Beyond Crimson Stone:
    Beyond Crimson Stone
    [​IMG]3
    TOMCAT (Engineer) MULTI Rifle, Light Shotgun, D-Charges ( | GizmoKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 26)
    WILDCAT (NCO) Spitfire / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 31)
    VOSTOK FTO (Mimetism [-6]) Mk12(+1 Dam) / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 44)
    1.5 SWC | 101 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Looking at the two boxes, Icestorm versus Crimson Stone is pretty balanced against each other. Hacking, MSV, and Mimetism of both are pretty close to each other. And they got a Engineer versus a Doctor.

You could probably do a escalation of forces straight from the Ice Storm and Crimson Stone missions.

theclaw likes this.
  3. superfurrymaniac

superfurrymaniac New Member

Seems I lost my reply there.

I'll try again. Handy to know they're fairly well balanced, thanks

My thoughts to do N4 are purely selfish in that I know thats what they play at the local club and I've always struggled to keep rules straight in my head when they're similar but not quite the same.
    If you think the difference in complexity would be worth it though, I'm not against Code One.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation