1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Killer hacker strategies

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by QueensGambit, May 18, 2020.

1. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

The only way to prevent this Reset would be a hacking program that puts the hacker in the Isolated/Disabled state (Oblivion/Blackout) both of which are B1 with no mods.

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that thread provides a solid answer to the specifics of this situation. Oblivion or Blackout does not meaningfully change the properties of the Hacker in question in a way that IMM-1 does not. The Hacker is still a Hacker regardless if their device is functional, both Disabled and IMM-1 will prevent e.g. Redrum from being declared.
    Just like how a Hacking Device+ allows a Hacker an ARO when a MI moves inside its Hacking Area while a KHD would receive no such ARO, or how a HD can react to a trooper using Combat Jump while an AHD may not, I would say there is a precedent for Hacking AROs to only be generated only when the Hacker is able to declare a Hacking Progra. Or, put in a different way, Hacking Area is specific to the program in question and while in IMM-1 no programs may be used (other than maybe HTA on a dumb technicality).

3. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

A Hacker is a Hacker always, being IMM or Isolated/Disabled only prevents you doing Comms Attacks (with your Hacking device in particular if you are Disabled). Which, unless I am getting something wrong (and I think I am not therefore in agreement with Mahtamori here, but it could be because English is not my main language):

- You can still be the target of Comms Attacks that target Hackers, and your only ARO is Reset;
    - You are still in the Hacking Area of an enemy HD that is within range of one of your repeaters;

The odd interaction here is how you satisfy the ARO requirements for Reset if you are not targeted by an attack, or have someone activates in your ZoC (not Hacking Area, so this excludes repeaters). I believe this has been discussed a lot, tbh, and RAW you would get not ARO, but then you could not ARO Hack through a repeater.

4. Mahtamori

If I read the situation correct, a Killer Hacker is IMM-1 and does not have 6S. An enemy Hacker without Stealth is trying to Move through the KHD's Repeater but outside ZoC of the KHD. Does the Killer Hacker get an ARO to declare Reset with?
    Under the premise that we're on the same wavelength, what I'm writing is;
    1. I argue a Hacker is always a Hacker and whether the device is Disabled or not should not change the situation.
    2. Because the Hacker is not able to declare any of the devices programs, the device will not allow the KHD to gain an ARO
    3. As long as the enemy Hacker does not directly attack the KHD (or generate an ARO through entering ZoC or LOF), the KHD will not be able to declare Reset because they do not generate an ARO.

I don't recall seeing a discussion where this particular situation has been properly discussed in the rules forum. ARO generation with Hacking Devices through Repeaters is weird at best of times.

5. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

I see. Agreed on all three.

I am refering to the different question of "what grants ARO in Hacking Area but not ZoC of the Hacker?" This has been discussed (but I am bad at searching this forum, the tool does not like me it seems).

Because as you know Hacking Area is merely the "range" of a Hacking Attack, it is not explicity (to my knowledge) that any kind of ARO is generated by someone walking into your Hacking Area as opposed to ZoC.

Unless the argument is, that because a certain Hacking Attack has the ARO label and would be able to fire off due to its restrictions being met (being in Hacking Area, being a valid target) then it can de declared as an ARO. Which is kinda like taking ARO backwards because it does not work that way, you first NEED to be granted an ARO and THEN you check your options.

I am an avid reader of the wiki and love these kind of discussions, just cannot find something against what I am saying above.

6. Mahtamori

I think that if you examine the Hacking ARO generation it gets convoluted because it all hinges on that one line that essentially goes "special skill or equipment that allows an ARO" - probably the reason the thread you QueensGambit linked is so confusing to read.

Anyway, back to lurking. I dislike posting in faction forums I don't play, but it's good to read to get perspective :)

#26 Mahtamori, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  7. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Yeah, indeed. I didnĀ“t link the thread, since I think it is like a side-discussion, but there is nothing actually in the Hacking ARO generation language that actually allows AROing in the way we all do.

I kinda feel dirty helping a fellow PanO player but it is interesting to talk about Hacking jajaja!

Mahtamori likes this.
  8. FlipOwl

FlipOwl Well-Known Member

On the topic of PanO hacking, let me give you an anecdote to cheer you up!

In my first game with the santiago KHD, I faced a Druze list with a KHD and an AHD in a Core link, and an additional AHD and a regular HD outside if the link. The mission was Transmission Matrix, and was going badly for me. Turn two starts with all my main attack pieces dead or immobilised, so the Santiago walks into the repeater network and promptly kills all four of the enemy hackers in two orders. Since then, he is one of my favourite pieces in all of PanO!

Willen likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation