1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumping to death

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by tezeech, Mar 17, 2018.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Exception does not necessarily mean exploit.

I'm not convinced that any of the cases you discuss are bad for the game (Impetuous troopers generally jumping to their deaths I disagree with, but if they're in B2B with the edge I think overall is useful).

2. grampyseer

grampyseer User of the "ignore" button
    Warcor

People trying insane die-hard, fire-hose jumps are fine. They're fun.
    Jumping a posessed TAG off of a cliff: okay, that's thematic. It makes sense.
    Hopping a remote up and down, hoping for an engineering classified: you just lost me. I can't do anything about it. I can't protect against it. If you're doing it, there's a reasonable chance you're already winning. It just seems beyond lame.

Robock and toadchild like this.
  3. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

I'd say one easy way to fix those abuse would be to make the floor with shock amo instead of fire. The damage incrementation is still the same, but you lose only 1 wound from a fall and if the fall finish your last wound/STR you go straight to dead skipping the unconscious state. It kinda buff HI and TAGs, so if it's too much then it's also possible to increment the number of wounds lost the same way the damage does.

4. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Str does not go dead to shock

xagroth likes this.
  5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Even easier is to change the Classifieds to only work on troopers wounded by enemy actions.

Robock likes this.
  6. daboarder

Warcor

That still leaves thepossesed exploit.

And yes i say exploit as the possesed rules desperately dont let you shoot said trooper

Ginrei and toadchild like this.
  7. daboarder

Warcor

Oh and all the lt hunting its missions

8. Mahtamori

To be perfectly fair, that one is easiest of all to fix. Temporarily possessed troops remain enemy troopers (i.e. not Sepsitored troops).

9. daboarder

Warcor

Thats not a fix....

Cb clearly doesnt want you to instagib a possesed tag by allowing you to shoot it while you control it.

This is why jump is am exploit

xagroth likes this.
  10. Mahtamori

I am not convinced it is an exploit nor not intended, but I'd like to posit that the possession through hacking is a bit too strong and that this is what I'd like to identify as causing the problem. That it is permanent (compared to the other CLAW programs) and can't continually be challenged (compared to other CLAW programs) and affects only the most expensive troopers means it's going to cause problems regardless what you do. I'd prefer it if actions taken under POS could be challenged with Reset rolls (not to mention that Exorcism should be ARO), but the possessing army should still treat it in every way like a hostile trooper.
    This wouldn't protect a TAG that's standing on a roof from being told to jump off, on the other hand maybe TAGs shouldn't run on top of tall buildings, but it would dampen or prevent TAGs from setting up perfect-kill jumps.

Now, if this makes POS only slightly stronger than IMM, then that's kind of the point I'm trying to convey, and if this makes AHD too weak, then maybe address that instead of keeping the current extreme-skew situation.

xagroth likes this.
  11. daboarder

Warcor

Because firing an exp ap round at said tag without responce wouldnt achieve the same thing....

So they expressly disallow the above. But hey i jump right up in the air and i "oops misjudged it" take a wound.

Ginrei likes this.
  12. Mahtamori

If they IMMed your TAG, they could shoot said round just fine and the best you could do is Reset.

Again, I think the core problem is that Overlord and Total Control are both far, far, too strong.

#32 Mahtamori, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    xagroth likes this.
  13. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I assume you meant Immobilised, not Possessed?

14. daboarder

Warcor

I think you need to re-read the possesed rule maht.

However, Possessed troopers are considered to be friendly by the troopers of the player that caused this game state

So no, you cant shoot said ap exp round. Leaving the oops i jumped and cause "friendly" damage a sour tasing exploit.

Also no possesed does not allow a reset either

Robock likes this.
  15. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Sorry but that's a non sequitur.

Furthermore, I'm honestly not quite convinced that it's an exploit. How many orders does it take to posses a TAG, force it to move, then climb to a high point and spend an entire order on jumping to its death? Seems quite order intensive to me, even if you got the TAG in your ARO. I don't see anything wrong in spending something like 4-5 orders, just to remove a TAG.

16. daboarder

Warcor

theoretically 2....

outside the Seraph

17. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

But realistically? I'm asuming the overwhelming majority of the TAG's don't stand on a rooftop, the moment they are possessed?

18. Mahtamori

You are correct. :)

19. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

For an Overdron maybe not... but against a Marut? A Squalo? Nearly 120 enemy points taken down in 3-4 orders are a bargain, since you would need at least those many to take them down by shooting, assuming you won all FtF rolls.

Then there is the Super Jump ones like the Xeodron and Seraph, who need to fall from more than 20 cm (8 inches) to take damage, or the Climbing Plus like the PanO Tikbalang (or Uhlano, one of the two) and the CA's Sphinx... Not to mention the old "let's do this 3pts remote jump from that height and see if it survives the fall for that "free" Retroingeniery secondary objective (for extra efficiency, use a servitor remote his controller can reach in two orders...).

Certainly, being able to roll Reset against each order at a fixed roll value (let's say the WP of the posesser minus half the BTS value of the TAG for example) would help diminish the impact of the Overlord program, specially if we take into consideration that you need a KHD close by to protect your TAG (unless you use an Iguana! XD), so... bufff....

20. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Well, sorry to say this man but I don't care if it's a Gecko or an Avatar, you're still failing to demonstrate WHY it's an exploit. WHY is it that it's fully allowed to jump and hurt your own units but when you take a TAG, that you were previously able to attack, make it so it's a friendly troop (possessed), why is there suddenly a need to prevent it from being hurt, when you're fully capable of hurting your own units? This doesn't make any sense and it seems to me that your argument, more or less, boils down to 'I don't like it, therefore it's an exploit!'.

About the amount of orders it takes, your philosophy of how to deal with TAG's may differ from mine, because to me it sounds like you're shooting a TAG with a HMG or something. In ISS/YJ, I usually spend and order to shoot smoke in front of a TAG and usually spend anything from 4-6 orders to crit it do death with my Ninja, even less if it's an Oniwaban. Other factions have Blitzen, skirmishers with E/Maulers, stupid Mutts with their E/Marat, random warbands, forward repeaters hiding (Moran), surprisingly many units with E/M CCW, forward units with SMG's that uses AP ammo on the side, basically anything from Caledonia can natively deal with TAG's.

There're so many thing in this game that can deal with TAG's surprisingly easy, so this "Exploit" don't even stand out to me if I have to be honest. In fact, I find it either similar to the alternatives or even less order efficient.

ik3rian likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation