1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

January News (2018)

Discussion in 'News' started by perseus, Dec 8, 2017.

1. LazyBrush

LazyBrush Well-Known Member

those GOTG moderators now suicide squad morlocks...........is so dificult to make an original design or at least try it?

Valmiir, Robock, DruidNei and 2 others like this.
  2. mothman

mothman Well-Known Member

Since Icestorm we have had 8 releases for Bakunin

Rev healer in icestorm - 1 original
    Swast HMG- 1 original
    starter- 5 original 1 reference (maybe 2 cant tell if green dude is a reference)
    moderators- 4 references
    riot grrls- 3 original
    rev healer- 1 original
    swast box- 1 original
    morlocks - 4 references

9 references to 12 original designs (10-11 if that green guy is a reference)
    I just want Bakunin getting as much love as Tunguskan and Correg do with original designs. Taskmasters are an amazing design and the rev healer is one of the best poses in game.

im calling it now that Chimera will be Beast, nightcrawler the thing and the chimera will be Charles xavier in a hover chair

3. TenNoBushi

TenNoBushi Well-Known Member

The green moderator is Drax.

The missile launcher one is inspired by a singer, another one seems to be an Infinity player.

Squirrel Girl Chimera now!

4. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Looking at a list of references in Infinity, I don't think that there's a single mini that I like more because it's a reference and that couldn't be done just as well or better as original design. There are, however, quite a few that were made worse by making them copies of existing characters.

Belgrim and Dragonstriker like this.
  5. mothman

mothman Well-Known Member

so technically half of bakunin is references to stuff, though I dont actually mind the riot grrl references, they are nice and not in your face. Basing stuff on people faces is fine as is the odd references but when you are pushing 50% from effectively 1 source (comic book movies, dont care if its two franchises) it gets a little annoying. But I will stop my ranting now as im getting obnoxious.

barakiel likes this.
  6. gru6y

gru6y Well-Known Member

I actually really like the new Morlocks. In my opinion a lot of 'referenciness' in Bakunin models comes from Angel's paintjob. It can be easily altered by painting Yo-Landi's hair dark, or changing around skin colours of other characters.

tyrannosaurus69 likes this.
  7. chaos11

chaos11 Well-Known Member

I mean, the designs are original. The uniforms etc. It’s only the faces.

tyrannosaurus69 and saint like this.
  8. yojamesbo

yojamesbo purchaser of car seats

Clearly, CB is angling to snatch the licensing rights to these IPs from the competition.

Anyway, c'mon! They're fun sculpts; people complain too much.

tyrannosaurus69 likes this.
  9. robot_jones

robot_jones BEES!

LOL that would be hilariously bad! But I didn't think the numbers were THAT bad with the memes.

Katana is wearing perfume of death, and Harley is literally wielding a hammer. The uniforms are CB's design, but characters are not. The gator guy is the best out of them though

Belgrim likes this.
  10. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Well-Known Member

I think they are quite good. Actually I like a lot when they do references. It gives something fun to a common figure. And come on, they just sculpt a recognizable face.
    On the other hand, Morlocks don’t have to be monsters, they are humans with some modifications, no need to be extremely physical.

chaos11 likes this.
  11. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Rev Healers and Taskamasters should only count as a single original desing, since they are repositions of the same 3D models.
    As it's been said, the green guy in the Bakunin Starter is Drax. Also, moderator girl is a "resculpt" of the original one in the old starter.
    It's been mentioned that the girls of the old Morlock box also carried some homages: at least the tentacle-head girl is a reference to Mass Effect's Asari (but quite subtle).

On the other hand, several miniatures are inspired by real people... I think the O-Yoroi pilot is the wife of the sculptor, or something like that. And the PanO support pack. And it's been mentioned that 8-ball is based on another of CB's staff.

12. robot_jones

robot_jones BEES!

"Subtle" and "inspired by" are the keywords here. Even the GotG Moderators were a bit more subtle than these new Morlocks.

Pierzasty and xagroth like this.
  13. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

Very disappointed by the Morlocks. The references are very on the nose, and Joker, Harley and Katana have absolutely nothing in common with Morlock fluff to begin with. They seem to have put 'movie reference' in their brief as a more important factor than making a model that fits. It is rare I dislike a Corvus Belli mini, but these ones I do. I actually prefer the previous Morlock minis to the new ones, and that would be the first time I have said that of any new release.

Belgrim, Valmiir, robot_jones and 2 others like this.
  14. sarf

sarf Well-Known Member

I like new Morlocks box, because that`s not just reference to movie, that`s some gous who like to dress up like superheroes from some old movie. For Morlocks these references work fine enough.

* Not excited about current Moderators box, bought and converted a bunch of old models instead.

15. Principal

Principal Member

While I do like that we're getting more morlocks and while I do think the models looks nice, I'd much rather see originial designs than more references to pop culture. It's a bit of a shame that bakunin now looks more like the marvel/dc cosplay faction.

16. Q.A.I.

Q.A.I. Well-Known Member

Bakunins mishmash of looks and lack of a uniformed feel always sat strange with me. It initially drove me away from expanding into Bakunin, but strangely lately ive been driven to rethinking that.

Since i dont like many of the models ive started to think of bakunin as the ultimate proxy force and it kinda fits fluff with the anarchy feel to really customize the force. Ive been tempted to use custodiers and zeros then proxy morlocks with kuang shi, greenstuff all sorts of units, and theme the list as a hacktivist revolutionary list stealing tech from other nations

Granted, this is just an excuse to use all the models I like but wouldnt play, but some of the design choices are making the decision easier

17. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

While I like seeing pop culture things done infinity style from an art standpoint I'm rather sad they got rid of the female assault pistol that's been a hallmark of infinity design. I've been looking forward to seeing an updated version of her since Angel's kickstarter with the 75mm version.

18. tyrannosaurus69

tyrannosaurus69 Flatlined console cowboy

New sculpts are absolutely fantastic IMO, with a cheeky homage to pop culture. Also, if you can find a mini or indeed any piece of art that is entirely original and non-derivative outside of cave paintings then fair play to you.

19. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Same here.

I like the new models but I'm not really sure why new bakunin have to be so strongly inspired by pop culture. The old tentacle girl was a nice sculpt and I'd prefer to see that model updated to current standards than getting another marvel/xman/DC stuff.

perseus and Abrilete like this.
  20. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

MEH.

Good sculpts?? Obviously yes.
    Good for morlocks? HELL NO!!! (except the lizard thingy one) Time to get the old ones

Abrilete and xagroth like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation