1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the intent of the Symbiomate to grant Immunity (Total) against Hacking Programs?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by meikyoushisui, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Is this shade?

2. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Nah, I think back when I wrote this I intended that to mean that I thought that the problem was the phrasing of comms attacks implicitly excluding Hacking Attacks, because the alternative led to a dumb conclusion. A kind of proof by contradiction, I guess.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  3. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I'm stressing the relevant parts.

If you are going to take a Saving Roll because:
    • you suffered a successful attack (because you lost the FtF or the enemy got his normal roll)
    • you are affected by a weapon (there are weapons where you don't roll for success, like Direct Templates)
    • you are affected by a rule (like Combat Jump (Explosion) that is probably the only non attack that forces a Saving roll)
    then you MUST use the Symbiomate.

What is Spotlight? It is a Comms Attack, so it is an Attack.
    Does it require a Saving Roll? No, so you don't use your Symbiomate.

Mahtamori likes this.
  4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That's also an attack and follows all the restrictions on attacks, so camouflaged units are safe from it. See the underline emphasis in the rules quote below.

After performing the PH Roll and determining the Trooper's final location, the Trooper makes a Direct Template Attack, placing the center of the Circular Template (Blast Focus) over the center of their base.​

5. konuhageruke

konuhageruke Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I was wandering for a while now. What about biotechvore area? Does it force to use symbiomate with their bonus BTS, can it even be used there?

6. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Is it a (special) rule that forces a Saving Roll? Yes.

7. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

So apparently @HellLois has updated this:

[​IMG]

Basically he's saying that the correct way to read the rule is not as written (attacks OR things-that-cause-aroll) but rather it's intended to be "attacks-that
    -cause-a-roll or weapons-that
    -cause-a-roll and special -that
    -cause-a-roll".

What this means is that, in general, BS or Hacking Attacks will still trigger the "must use" requirement of SymnioMates but Spotlight and FO will not because they're not "attacks that cause a roll".

@HellLois @ijw can you please confirm that this is correct?

Tl;dr on Discord HellLois made a ruling that errata'd the Annex to mean that Spotlight and FO no longer strip Symbiomates [edit: for the purposes of CB's online tournament only].

#27 inane.imp, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

That would be pretty awesome.

9. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

First of all, that discord server is not an official way of rulling ;)
    Second, that was a rulling for the official TTS tournament, just for the tournament, for the official answer you have to wait to the next FAQ version.
    thx

10. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

This is the best possible version of this response. Thanks!

So that means that:

Right now, Spotlight and FO DO remove SymbioMates because they're both attacks and the rule says "attacks - or being affected by any weapon or rule that requires a Saving Roll."

At some point in the future this may be errata'd by FAQ, but that hasn't happened yet.

However, for a specific tournament the TO(ish) has ruled on the matter as to how its being played at that tournament.

Makes sense to me. :)

For context, I came across the screen cap in a discussion of how the rule works generally - not in relation to the tournament it was intended to be applied to. :)

Zewrath and HellLois like this.
  11. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Thats what i mean. Cant be valid a screen capture where you can read one staff member said x or y, because it depends on the context of that specific moment, maybe is answering just using the memory and not reading the rules and all the interactions, because a quickly answer is needed, like in a tournament.
    ^^

so it's time to wait.

12. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

@HellLois

I love that you’ve taken this exact approach to it.
    Thank you for the clarification and response.

HellLois likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation