1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invincibles and quadrant control

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Sedral, May 25, 2019.

1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Good points. I just personally feel that “doing the Math” takes the fun out of it. While in a way I still did it. I mentioned that he ignores Camo/Mimetisim with MSV1, and cover with Marksmanship LX and of course gets a +6 to BS. I just feel that if the goal is to have something to take out the Kamau, the Pheasant is one way of many along with Lunah. If it wasn’t 200pts game I’d also recommend the Hsien but I feel he’s too much for 200pts. The alternative is to ignore it.

Spauracchio likes this.
  2. Stuffist

Stuffist Well-Known Member

Okay, you don't like the game feeling to be replaced by too technical thoughts. We all find the fun the way we like it I guess! ;)

To deal with the Kamau maybe a Tiger BSG can be effective too? Drop/enter near the link, where you can get a good template shot?

Spauracchio and Space Ranger like this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Eh, I usually do 40k math when I am building the army. "OK, so that's 48 shots hitting on 3s, so I should get 32 hits. Wounding on 4s, should get 16 wounds. Even if he's saving on 2s, that's 2+2/3rds wounds. 5+1/3 wounds if he's saving on 3s."

Man, been a long time since I did that math. Used to be able to do that in my head at the table.

EpicDiceFail likes this.
  4. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Mentioning Lunah is a good example. She far worse for the job than the Pheasant, which I first also did not know. Her surprise shot and mimitism have no effect as you said before.

Active Player
    37.53% Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper inflicts 1 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Unconscious)
    11.65% Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper inflicts 2 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Dead)

Failures
    32.60% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    29.87% Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) inflicts 1 or more wounds on Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper (Unconscious)
    12.14% Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) inflicts 2 or more wounds on Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper (Dead)

Spauracchio likes this.
  5. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

If you don't use the Nimbus grenades (which cancels all the benefit of the linkteam) its even worse

Active Player
    29.07% Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper inflicts 1 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Unconscious)
    9.16% Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper inflicts 2 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Dead)

Failures
    22.17% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    48.76% Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) inflicts 1 or more wounds on Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper (Unconscious)
    28.62% Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) inflicts 2 or more wounds on Major Lunah, ex-Ariesteia! Sniper (Dead)

Spauracchio likes this.
  6. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

The Pheasant is superior, but the Hsien is more survivable:

Active Player
    46.69% Hsien inflicts 1 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Unconscious)
    13.37% Hsien inflicts 2 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Dead)

Failures
    32.36% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    20.95% Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) inflicts 1 or more wounds on Hsien (1 W)
    5.88% Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) inflicts 2 or more wounds on Hsien (Unconscious)

Enought of the math now ;-)

Spauracchio likes this.
  7. Spauracchio

Spauracchio Member

@Space Ranger I actually really like doing math while planning the list, especially when I'm new with a faction: this way I get to know it better!
    I think it's also a matter of improving your game. Lunah is a great piece, but not against an MSV linked Sniper: she's actually better at picking off other pieces. Even the Phaesant requires Nimbus to deal with it, and together it's a whooping 60 pts and 1.5 SWC vs the 20 pts and 1 SWC of the Rui Shi. And I got to test this thanks to your advices!
    I also don't think that this kind of planning does necessarily ruin the game. It's a matter of trying to be prepared for a particular situation: of course I will enjoy the game anyway, and everything will be decided during the match. Maybe my Rui Shi will die poorly before even trying to shoot at the Kamau! Or the fearsome Kamau will die from a ridiculous Crit by a random piece... Who knows, it's the unpredictable fun of this game!

@Stuffist the Tiger could be a nice add-on: if it's wasn't a 200 pts game, I'd give him a shot for sure! For this one I'd rather get something more versatile like the Rui Shi tho. Still, thanks for the advice! Gonna test it in a bigger game!

8. Space Ranger

Each to their own I guess. :mask: Sorry I should have said that was my feeling.

There’s more than one way to skin a Kamau. It’s mostly going to come down to tactics and how you use them. Remember it’s supposed to be a 200pt game. I’d throw a Hsien up against him however he’s almost 1/4th of the force! If I knew I was going to be playing against that I’d possibly use Lu Duan or Kanren due to the holos. Cheap ninja to try to get into CC. True it’s TO Camo doesn’t help if it’s show at but I’d try not to be seen in the first place!

I think weight of dice would actually be better if going with a shootout too. So the Rui Shi is the obvious choice. No Mimetisim, no cover (with Hacker mods), 4 dice vs. 2. Maybe even better with Nimbus.

9. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Getting in range with the RuiShi is the hard part and depends on table setup. Its not always possible to get below 16" because of the S4 siluette.

10. Space Ranger

That's why I like the Lu Duan too. There's always the holoechoes for him to shoot instead. Also MSV1 is pretty good. You don't need to worry about smoke while it's not great against TO & ODD, it's better than nothing.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation