1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intuitive Attack, Crits and E/M

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Gunmage, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

Situation: my Heckler, standing in a Smoke template, uses Intuitive Attack with his E/Marat on enemy Avatar, and rolls a 13 on his WIP roll - a crit. Avatar rolls no crits and shuts down, CA player tries with all his might not to strangle me, I proceed to win the game.

And then after the game I see that Intuitive Attack skill has a special provision for crits, which says "If the user rolls a Critical in his WIP Roll, the target loses one point from his Wounds or STR Attribute directly, bypassing the usual ARM or BTS Roll."

Question: how does this interact with ammunition which has other effects on crit, like E/M? Is that bullet point just a badly-written reminder that Intuitive Attack can crit, or is it intended to make usually non-damaging ammo types shave off W or STR points?

eciu likes this.
  2. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

I'd certainly vote that its probably just a poorly worded reminder that intuitive attacks can crit.

But yeah, thats another one for the FAQ gods. @ijw

3. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

I would assume poor writing not accounting for non-lethal template weapons. Not sure which book originally introduced the E/marat, but the weapon, until recently, only existed on 2 or 3 profiles at most. So it was an edge case and probably ignored.

Consider also that laying a mine can be an intuitive attack - this does not result in the mine triggering, just being laid. Interestingly, it also means the laying of the mine can be FtF if the enemy marker chooses to attack you... :joy:

Watch as your bullets bounce off my... arms? As they place the explosive on the ground...?

4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It's a problem of the game's redundant design when it comes to critical hits where the effects of a critical hit is described in several places; in general terms, for each ammunition, and for special cases like Intuitive Attack. I think it's Shock ammo that if you read it far too literally, you score two wounds on the target on a critical hit.

Basically, treat the general case descriptions like Intuitive Attack as if they are references to effects in special ammunition.

Do note that Non-lethal attribute is sufficient for removing the automatic wound from critical hits.

Gunmage, inane.imp and Ogid like this.
  5. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

ev0k, Gunmage, Ogid and 2 others like this.
  6. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Yep, the crit just ignores the BTS roll but won't cause any wound if it is non-lethal.

But a further question here. Do you need to use the intuitive attack? The Avatar was out of your LoT because you were in a zero visibility zone but you could just place the template and affect him. If I didn't get that wrong, Intuitive attacks are for dudes that need to be discovered before attacking.

7. Mahtamori

BS Attack requires LOF to declare and shooting a DTW simply uses BS Attack skill. Intuitive Attack has two functions; it allows you to attack without LOF* and it allows you to attack enemy targets that you normally wouldn't (paraphrasing slightly).

* Do note that the attack will still follow normal rules for template weapons, so you still can't shoot through walls because even with this slightly sloppy way of describing the effect.

inane.imp and Ogid like this.
  8. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Ok, totally missed that but it makes perfect sense. Ty!

9. Mahtamori

ijw likes this.
  10. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

A separate "thank you" for this link - I actually had a follow-up question that has an answer in that thread!

11. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

"Still can't"? I seem to recall E'M was capable of washing through objects in the days of N2...

12. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Still can't in terms of N3 rules.

Mahtamori likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation