1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in starting airbrushing, looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Mattman, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mattman

Mattman Fenix, Defender of Aiur

Title summarizes it pretty well. I'm looking at maybe starting airbrushing. I haven't painted in awhile, I commission most of my minis out these days because I burned out on painting years ago. I've watched a few videos, talked to some local airbrush painters and now I figure I'll get some input from you guys as well.

First of all, I'm trying to understand the compressors. I found this kit on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CXB7DLW...olid=3UOJLDBGXJ44U&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And if we ignore the airbrush (I might use it to base my terrain, but I don't expect high quality or longevity from the brush) and look only at the compressor, the specs appear almost identical to this Badger one.

https://www.amazon.ca/Badger-Air-Br...0911148&sr=1-1&keywords=badger+air+compressor

Or better yet, compare it to this link:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Compressor-Ai...rd_wg=ptDWX&psc=1&refRID=5933NYRADW409R950F3N

If you look closely at the pictures, they even appear to have a very similar if not identical pump design, just the Badger comes with a frame around it, which the last link even has as well. So my first question is basically, what's the difference? Besides warranty. I don't want to cheap out and get frustrated and give it up immediately, but I also tend to be very thorough when I research products to buy and I can't really find anything that suggests these are all that different to justify the price difference. I also know that a lot of tools are produced in just a handful of factories in the world, then have different brand names slapped on them and sold for wildly different prices, ie air powered nailers. So does anyone have the kit from the first link with any first hand recommendations?

Moving on from compressors, what does everyone use as their primary airbrush? Do most people have a variety of brushes for different purposes or do you get one really good general purpose airbrush? What are the best brands for painting miniatures? The one I'm looking at right now (after several recommendations) is the Extreme Patriot 105 as a general purpose brush. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. DAE

DAE Member

Compressors...hard to say. Both seem reasonably good. The second one looks like it could a cheaper version of the Badger. Just go onto Badger's website for more info on the compressor...they may have more info there.
    You may have to purchase extra stuff...hose and such...with the Badger...that's if it doesn't come with it.

NOTE: Stay away from the aerosol cans for airbrushing. Not worth it...trust me...I've tried...

Airbrushes. I use the Badger 105. Why? Just do. Plus, I started with a Badger 350 single action...many years ago that is. Still have it to this day and is usually my go to airbrush from just base coating. Finer detail I can do with my 105 dual action.
    Some would say the best would be Iwata. But it's really a personal choice. I have tried Iwata, it's good, but I just prefer Badger.

Airbrushing isn't the easiest art to start either. Cost is usually a big factor for some. Patience and time are two other factors as well. Getting the paint viscosity just right for what you want is a big factor as well. Fine detail...low pressure, thinned paint...I usually run 2:1. 2 drops of thinner to 1 drop of paint. For basic coverage it's now 2 drops of paint to 1 drop of thinner.
    Tell ya one thing...Tamiya is the best for airbrushing. Oh yeah. I've got Vallejo Model colour and Model air...both are very good, but Tamiya...can't beat that. One jar...Tamiya thinner. Crack open the paint jar, fill the jar to the line on the jar with thinner...BAM! pre-thinned Tamiya paints...SO good :grinning:

DarKteleFaX, taylor and Monkeysloth like this.
  3. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

The one in your first link is basically what I have and is very popular in the miniature hobby. With compressors it's there's only a few manufacturers and this is the generic of what then gets rebranded out to other companies. It's a workhorse and should easily last several years as long as you remember to empty the air tank after usages (or it will cause rust) but you'll probably find that you need some plumbers tape to help seal some of the connectors.

Also realize that there are several different sized for hoses and airbrush connectors so you'll want to make sure that if you get an airbrush without the right size that you also purchase a converter. This one says it has a 1/8" connector which is the size for Iwata, pastch (sp?) but no badger or Harder and Steenbeck which I believe is 1/4". These connectors run about $10 and only needed once. I also recommend getting quick released even if you only have one airbrush. It's a huge QoL thing to instantly disconnect your brush at any time from the hose\compressor.

Dae's post has some good info in it. I tend to only use fine needles .2mm or smaller unless working on a large piece of terrain. Even something like a Sotar or Infinity can base coat terrain really quickly but you will struggle with paint thickness at first but since you have to learn how to thin to paint minis anyway I just stopped using the larger needle sizes all together.

I have several badgers but pretty much stick to my 2 Sotars and my H&S Infinity. I dislike the patriots and other non detailing brushes as even though you can put smaller needles in them they're lacking in a feature that lets you adjust the max amount of paint flow that comes out either by limiting how far you can pull the trigger or by other means.

taylor likes this.
  4. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I would strongly recommend the 105 as your first brush. It is extremely versatile and easy to maintain. As for the compressor - I have the first one you posted and it works just fine for me.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation